TICS Rant

How is it with the TICS system you can be green lighted one time and denied the next?

Seriously!! I found the gun I was looking for and drove an hour to get it. I get there and bam!! denied. Just last week I picked up a gun I had ordered a month ago. Went in and not even 5 minutes was approved. Today after 10 minutes of waiting I was denied.

You would think that with the money that they make it would be a better system than it is.

ranton.gif

Just curiously how often does this happen? Has anyone else been through this?

I've had it happen a couple of times even with my permit. I think it's because some chucklehead on the other end of the phone (on occasion) has a hard time differentiating the person the shop is calling about to someone similar on their computer. They are supposed to respond to the shop within a week with a definitive answer. Happened twice to me, no call back from the state both times. Be patient and it should go thru. Unless you were flat out denied, question it thru the state. Good luck!
I've had it happen a couple of times even with my permit. I think it's because some chucklehead on the other end of the phone (on occasion) has a hard time differentiating the person the shop is calling about to someone similar on their computer. They are supposed to respond to the shop within a week with a definitive answer. Happened twice to me, no call back from the state both times. Be patient and it should go thru. Unless you were flat out denied, question it thru the state. Good luck!
Happens a lot, there have been several of us here go through it. Is there a chance there is something in your past that doesn’t have a disposition entered in the record? It doesn’t even have to be a disqualifying charge. I don’t know how it can get flagged one time and not the next; but it does.
  • Like 1

This is my second time for me as well. I have been through their checks and balances with my permit and with previous purchases and a previous denial. And have been through an FBI & TSA check for work reasons. For some reason I thought that after the first denial it would have been 'fixed' in the system so no future denials would have happened.

He did it online today and kept bouncing back and forth from other customers and checking for an update and finally shook his head no and said it was denied. I filled out the form and he said he would fax it over after he was caught up with the customers.

I will say it before someone else does.

Did you put in your SSN? or leave it optionally blank?

I know some on here will say including it helps, although I always leave my blank and haven't had any trouble.

Yeah I put the SSN down this time. The only other time I was denied was when I omitted my SSN. Ever since I have given my SSN and been good to go.

• Like 1

For some reason I thought that after the first denial it would have been 'fixed' in the system so no future denials would have happened.

Not if it’s because a charge is showing up improperly; that’s up to you to fix.

Only one thing from 10+ years ago but it was fixed years ago.

Mine was over 20 years when they did it to me. Happened to me twice, both times I appealed and it went though. I tried to talk to the people at TBI and they were freaking clueless. I finally applied for a C&R and the BATF sent me a letter explaining exactly what was wrong and how to fix it. Cost me $30, got a C&R, did what they said and hasn’t been a problem since.

Mine was over 20 years when they did it to me. Happened to me twice, both times I appealed and it went though. I tried to talk to the people at TBI and they were freaking clueless. I finally applied for a C&R and the BATF sent me a letter explaining exactly what was wrong and how to fix it. Cost me $30, got a C&R, did what they said and hasn’t been a problem since.

Good information. I may do the same thing.Thanks.

When the ffl enters your dl#, the system automatically populates your ss# field.

It isn't suppose to.

I have done it on computers before and both times I left it blank.  it was blank on the last screen I reviewed as well before submitting.

By law they have 15 days to respond and in some cases will give "conditional". Nearly no brick and mortar transfers on a "conditional". "Conditional" is simply a legal release for them to give an answer when they can't approve, but also can't outright deny. They transfer all legal liability to the FFL without giving any information.

It isn't suppose to.

I have done it on computers before and both times I left it blank.  it was blank on the last screen I reviewed as well before submitting.

It will if you allowed the DMV to tie your social to your DL number on you DL application.

As to why it hits one time and not another it could be a couple issues. 

1. When a charge has a disposition on the state level it does not always get kicked up to the feds which is where the TICS system checks. So when the TBI lawyer comes in and reviews the appeals then he has to manually update the TBI side to correct the communication gap.

2. Since your last transaction someone with a similar name or identity that appears close to yours has had a charge post in the system.

3. It could be straight identity theft and you will need to go through the FBI and get a 4 digit UPN.

As to talking to the TBI, you will have to go in person and have plenty of government issued ID's to get any information. Due to privacy issues they will not tell you anything over the phone or even in person without validating your identity. Personally, while an inconvenience sometimes, I'm glad they are that protective.

.... They are supposed to respond to the shop within a week with a definitive answer. Happened twice to me, no call back from the state both times. Be patient and it should go thru. ......

I guess I was one of the few the state calls back on. The shop called Wednesday (4-2-14) saying that the denial was overturned. I have never heard anyones denial being processed that fast. It was less than 48 hours after the TICS check was initiated.

I was shocked when the dealer called. Dealing with Nashville on some other things (previous denial, CDL Medcert, etc.) they have always went to the 11th hour on processing and done it in the last few days of their 'allowed processing time'..

How is it with the TICS system you can be green lighted one time and denied the next?

Seriously!! I found the gun I was looking for and drove an hour to get it. I get there and bam!! denied. Just last week I picked up a gun I had ordered a month ago. Went in and not even 5 minutes was approved. Today after 10 minutes of waiting I was denied.

You would think that with the money that they make it would be a better system than it is.

ranton.gif

Just curiously how often does this happen? Has anyone else been through this?

Once I was approved one day and made a purchase; went in the next day for another purchase and was denied.

In my case it's a "charge" (wrong person/same name) from almost 25 years ago - the charges were completely dismissed of course but whatever records TICS checks only show the "charge"; not the fact that the charge was dismissed.  I guess it just goes to show just how unreliable such "records" and/or how lazy or incompetent the government is at doing...well...at doing just about anything (which is why I'm just so happy that they are now in charge of everyone's health care).

Have a unique first and last name like I do.  Mine is usually approved before the dealer can get his hands off the keyboard.

Well that didn't help me...less than 100,000 people in the world with my last name and not all of those spell it the same way but I was arrested because my first and last name matched the husband of the husband and wife team the police were looking for!

Well that didn't help me...less than 100,000 people in the world with my last name and not all of those spell it the same way 

how many ways are there to spell Nashville?  I call BS.

:cool:

• Like 3

I have been denied twice.  First one was while I has a pending charge against me, no conviction mind you.  It was overturned in three days.  The other was a few years ago trying to buy a 91/30 from a gun shop outside of Phoenix AZ.  The owner of that shop told me it happens all the time and to come back in three days and I should be good to go.  I told him it was now or never as I was leaving the state the next day.  What was funny about it was when the Fast and Furious story broke the gun shop was one of those used by der gooberment to sell guns to Mexicans.  So they turn me down on a Mosin Nagant, but allowed AR's sales to drug cartels.   Sad it is not unbelievable.  Heck, nothing the .gov does anymore is unbelievable.

• Like 2

That is ridiculous and is telling of where we stand as a banana republic. Lawlessness to the point of being a mockery to the world and 

I have been denied twice.  First one was while I has a pending charge against me, no conviction mind you.  It was overturned in three days.  The other was a few years ago trying to buy a 91/30 from a gun shop outside of Phoenix AZ.  The owner of that shop told me it happens all the time and to come back in three days and I should be good to go.  I told him it was now or never as I was leaving the state the next day.  What was funny about it was when the Fast and Furious story broke the gun shop was one of those used by der gooberment to sell guns to Mexicans.  So they turn me down on a Mosin Nagant, but allowed AR's sales to drug cartels.   Sad it is not unbelievable.  Heck, nothing the .gov does anymore is unbelievable.

This is fitting as to us being a banana republic, completely disgusting what has happened to this great nation. What .gov is doing is something I never could have imagined, I am still in shock how twisted these radicals are. I think it's ignorant to not be able to buy a pistol in another state too, it makes absolutely no sense to be. It's on the logic scale of gun free zones.