SIG "To hell and back" reliability. Yeah, right.

Steelharp

Ok, so the legendary SIG "to hell and back" reliability just went to hell and DIDN'T come back last night. I was shooting my Swiss P225 at the shop, and it just quit. Primer hits, no bang. Only when I pulled the hammer back with my thumb would it go off. Not DA, not SA from the slide blowback. Only from a thumb cock.

Off to the village 'smithy it goes... any ideas?

Were the primers being dented when you fired it in all 3 modes? If you did not get a mark on the primers in DA or SA slide-cocked mode then I would strongly suspect something with the firing pin block or transfer lever. I have worked on hundreds of sigs and would be glad to look at it / fix it for you for free if you swing by the Lebanon area.

• Like 1

Thanks, wilee! I dropped by Sam's, and he's gone for two weeks. So, guess it's gonna be a while before it gets looked at; unless we get together...

And yeah, Erik... I'm de-Glocked; that's why I said I USED to, lol. The PPQ is my FAVE... but my Ruger SR9 is on my hip most of the time.

Unfortunately, I have found some disappointment  with Sig in the past couple of years,I just do not think they are the product they used to be. :2cents: Parts will wear out for sure, but this has been my observation. I gotta say, I have been fattening up the HK and Glock banks lately, and lovin it!!

Well, the gun is 30 years old. It has the heel mag release. I had the hammer spring replaced with a Wolff a month ago. The hammer spring also holds the mag release. When it started acting oddly, it was also extremely difficult to activate the mag release. I'm betting the new hammer spring is the problem. But again, with Sam out of town for two weeks... it's just gonna have to sit here broken.

Yes, every primer had a dent in it. When I reloaded those rounds, and pulled the hammer back manually, they all went off. They would NOT go off from decock, nor would the NEXT round fire after it had fired and was in single action from the slide.

I know... weird.

Sounds like a weak hammer spring. What lb Wolf spring did you use? Factory weight?

I had ordered an 18 lb. At first, it felt heavier than what was in it. I left it there, and when it was brought back to me, it was incredibly smooth and awesome. Now, I'm here. So....

Was the old hammer spring defective?

No, the trigger was just way too heavy to allow for much accuracy with the first shot. Don't really like the idea of a "throw-away" first round. IF the 18lb one IS too light, I'm sure there's some happy medium.

I have a 1911 tac ops thats two years old. Already wore the recoil spring out. Granted I shoot it a LOT. a real LOT. I cant complain. $6 fix for a crap ton of more ammo. So be it. I'll take my Sig into a fight with me any day. 

No, the trigger was just way too heavy to allow for much accuracy with the first shot. Don't really like the idea of a "throw-away" first round. IF the 18lb one IS too light, I'm sure there's some happy medium.

And you wanted to foist this cantankerous machine off on me. Now I know what you think of me. :squint:

Hey, Sam will be back soon. You should see the bluing he did for me.

Aha!  It was reliable before you 'fixed' it!  Mystery solved . . .  :D