Tennessee gun free dining site works both ways:

I just looked up Crossville and Ruby Tuesday in town is posted. I have not been in there in a while, but I never noticed any signs before. I may have to swing by tomorrow and check the door and see if they posted since January when I was in last.
  • Like 1

The site lists Bob's Steak and Chop House in Nashville as "No Guns Allowed" based on a phone call in October 2013.  I went there in March, and there were no signs of any kinds (I didn't even see the traditional 'No Smoking' sign.  This place looked too classy to want to post signs.  The waiter said they had only been open for 4 months, so I suspect the website either called the corporate number or just made it up.  I wonder how many of the other "No Guns" restaurants are actually posted?  I bet a lot of the listings are based on phone calls only, and may not reflect the actual legal status of the restaurant under Tennessee law.

If I'm reasonably well dressed and out eating I've started politely asking managers at places that are currently posted if they would like to change their mind to win a customer and get added to the "posted!" app as a non-posted alternative. I've had one business owner get angry b/c someone else had apparently stickered his business without asking him and one manager that removed the gunbuster while I stood there.(and it has stayed down) I've found that if they see the app and realize how easy it is for me to find a gun friendly alternative on the handy map and dine elsewhere(across the parking lot in some cases) that all of a sudden they don't so much like being on the list of restaurants I won't patronize. I've also talked to several that won't budge but I'm always very respectful of their opinions and thank them for taking the time to speak to a potential customer.

• Like 12
gunfreediningtennessee?? Well the site has been around a few years now and I still have to laugh a little that these clowns who started this site are still so far from reality that they don't realize that all their work on this site hasn't had a miniscule effect on business of restaurants that do allow people with HCP's to wear their handguns. I would like to tell them that the vast majority of people don't even think about it and really don't give a crap, the emotional panic is gone because there have been no shootouts in restaurants. Well, maybe a few clubs where alot of gang bangers hang but most are posted and they had shootings long before the law was changed but no decent family restaurants and no shootouts between HPC holders, just criminal gang bangers who probably have felony records.
I think the best argument to a business owner is the folllowing: Posting a "no guns" sign does nothing to dissaude the criminal element, and in fact coupd serve to encourage that element. Additonally it is negative message to lawful firearms owner and HCP carriers. Not posting provides the exact same relief against the criminal element and doesn't discriminate against lawful gun owners and encourages a wider customer base. Tell me one person who chooses to only eat/shop somewhere ONLY if there is a posted sign? Now tell me how many gunowners will refuse to do business with a posted place? And lastly, there is no legal protection to the business for posting a sign vs not posting. Not posting - its the smart business decision
  • Like 2

Tell me one person who chooses to only eat/shop somewhere ONLY if there is a posted sign? Now tell me how many gunowners will refuse to do business with a posted place? And lastly, there is no legal protection to the business for posting a sign vs not posting. Not posting - its the smart business decision

As much as I agree with this, what I've found is that once a business is posted most gun owners who care tend to write them off as "not wanting our business". If we don't occasionally stop in and politely remind them that they are continuing to loose our business they may not really notice the loss. Better yet the more of us that remind them frequently the more likely they are to really get the feeling of how much business they are loosing.

The only way(other than getting the law changed) I've thought of to short circuit the whole posted vs not posted thing is for gun owners to religiously organize.  :stir:

• Like 1

Everyone should post to Facebook, Twitter etc thanking them for providing a convenient online database of eateries to avoid patronizing. If you see a fav restaurant on the list you should contact them and let them know because they were listed you won't be eating there. It really shouldn't take much effort to get restauranteurs to start harassing the site owners to remove their info.

Edited by wtl
  • Like 1

I was going to a Mom and Pop restaurant for many years and it was never posted. Then all at once I go there and it is posted. I spoke to the manager and he said that a few of his customers were complaining about seeing customers with guns and it was alarming to them because of their children. I said well I have been eating here for about 10 years and no one has ever seen my gun. He asked me what he could do to keep his business and not lose any customers so I offered him and option. I recommended posting his business as a Concealed Carry only restaurant and see how well that works. Next time I went there the sign read Concealed Carry Only. The place was packed with customers no one knew who was armed and who was not. The manager stopped by my table just after the waitress put my ticket on my table and he picked it up and thanked me as he has been seeing as increase in his business since re-posting and he liked my idea. I think if managers are willing to listen to other alternatives than just posting No Guns it can help both the HCP people and the businesses...........jmho

• Like 11

The site lists Bob's Steak and Chop House in Nashville as "No Guns Allowed" based on a phone call in October 2013.  I went there in March, and there were no signs of any kinds (I didn't even see the traditional 'No Smoking' sign.  This place looked too classy to want to post signs.  The waiter said they had only been open for 4 months, so I suspect the website either called the corporate number or just made it up.  I wonder how many of the other "No Guns" restaurants are actually posted?  I bet a lot of the listings are based on phone calls only, and may not reflect the actual legal status of the restaurant under Tennessee law.

It lists Bud's on Brainerd as no guns allowed. We eat there almost every Friday and I've yet to see a legal posting anywhere.

It lists Bud's on Brainerd as no guns allowed. We eat there almost every Friday and I've yet to see a legal posting anywhere.

Yep just ate at Ruby Tuesdays in Crossville yesterday and although the site says it is posted, I did not see a single sign.

Maybe it's time to bring it to the attention of these restaurant managers and owners that the web site is throwing their names against the wall to see what sticks and it is probably having an adverse effect on and hurting their business. Then it would be up to the business to contact the website and threaten them with a lawsuit if they continue to hurt their business with false information. That might just get the site to post only correct information of just go away..............jmho

Job security and reduced risk for the non-health-insurance carrying criminal element.

Proud to say, along with my successful WM boycott (not a dime since November 2012) I have only patronaged one posted business in the last 6 months and haven't been forced to enter a guv'mint infuenced "safety zone" building.

In reviewing the Knoxville list, it appears the Tex-Mex restaurants are heavily weighted to the NO side. While it doesn't merit a zillion dollar guv'mint sponsored survey, I wonder why?

Edited by Gotthegoods

Yep just ate at Ruby Tuesdays in Crossville yesterday and although the site says it is posted, I did not see a single sign.

Yeah I've run into this before as I've read on the WWW that BWW and Red Robin are listed as prohibited but I've yet to actually "SEE" the signs on their doors...

These anti-legal-carry restaurants are only hurting themselves.

Why? They're losing money. :yes:

When I'm out looking for a place to eat, I grab the cell phone and google up who allows carry so I don't have to disarm and leave my gun in my car. If they don't allow concealed carry, 99% I don't eat there.

Ever since i listened to that young lady describe how she lost her father and mother by following an order to not carry in that restaurant in Texas when she left her gun in her car. I can promise you  I have no intention of going through anything like that. If a maniac shows up in a place I am eating one of us is going to die from bullet holes being inflected and since he may be the one that starts it I will be the one doing my best to end it and hope i have others there to help but if not so be it...................jmho 

• Like 3

Ever since i listened to that young lady describe how she lost her father and mother by following an order to not carry in that restaurant in Texas when she left her gun in her car.

Here is a quote from the same lady:

How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual… as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of.--Dr. Suzanna Gratia-Hupp

• Like 3

I loved the last statement she made when she said "the 2nd Amendment is not about duck hunting. It is about all of us here behind me protecting our selves from all you legislators up there."  I think she got her points across very well............jmho

• Like 1

whats funny is if you ever walked through the kitchens of some of the no guns places, you'd wanna trade your weapon for a flamethrower to burn out the rats and micro organisms growing in theses places that would kill a child if ingested through preventable contamination. I like the CCW only post,but if they post NO weapons they best post a 100% pass score from the board of health.Trust me, Ive seen crap in some of these kitchens that makes meth labs look like sanitized clean rooms at intel. nasty nasty nasty. :puke: guns should be the least of their worries.....for some

There is incentive to be gun free according to the website along with free advertisement,Id like to see the survey that was used to come up with their findings:

We Want to Be Listed as Gun Free, but Do Not Want to Post a Sign

That is not possible.  Under the new law, if you do not post a sign, registered gun owners are allowed to bring their guns. 

Can You Choose to Not be Listed at All?

No.  We will report whatever your policy is, as expressed by whether or not you post a No Gun sign. 

Survey of Restaurant Customers

Surveys conducted by the Tennessee Hospitality Industry show that if you post a no-gun sign, many more people say that they are more likely to go to your restaurant (53%) than say they would be less likely to go to your restaurant (11%). We believe it would be good for your business to post a no-gun sign, but that choice is up to you. Whatever choice you make, we will let the public know.

Gun Free Restaurants Get Free Links

If you post no-gun signs, we will provide a link to your restaurant to help advertise to your customers.

Will Posting a No Gun Sign Interfere with Police?

No.  Police can cary their guns with them, even if there is a No Gun sign posted.  

Edited by Dustbuster
  • Like 1

whats funny is if you ever walked through the kitchens of some of the no guns places, you'd wanna trade your weapon for a flamethrower to burn out the rats and micro organisms growing in theses places that would kill a child if ingested through preventable contamination. I like the CCW only post,but if they post NO weapons they best post a 100% pass score from the board of health.Trust me, Ive seen crap in some of these kitchens that makes meth labs look like sanitized clean rooms at intel. nasty nasty nasty. :puke: guns should be the least of their worries.....for some

There is incentive to be gun free according to the website along with free advertisement,Id like to see the survey that was used to come up with their findings:
We Want to Be Listed as Gun Free, but Do Not Want to Post a Sign
That is not possible.  Under the new law, if you do not post a sign, registered gun owners are allowed to bring their guns. 
Can You Choose to Not be Listed at All?
No.  We will report whatever your policy is, as expressed by whether or not you post a No Gun sign. 
Survey of Restaurant Customers
Surveys conducted by the Tennessee Hospitality Industry show that if you post a no-gun sign, many more people say that they are more likely to go to your restaurant (53%) than say they would be less likely to go to your restaurant (11%). We believe it would be good for your business to post a no-gun sign, but that choice is up to you. Whatever choice you make, we will let the public know.
Gun Free Restaurants Get Free Links
If you post no-gun signs, we will provide a link to your restaurant to help advertise to your customers.
Will Posting a No Gun Sign Interfere with Police?
No.  Police can cary their guns with them, even if there is a No Gun sign posted.

Do share these nasty kitchens! I don't want to get sick! :lol:

Fwiw, if they don't post a sign prohibiting weapons, I go in armed regardless of what that stupid site says.

If they're posted, I just don't eat there.

This is why we carry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sEYGcXSmpQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU368rvZuJ0
  • Like 2