Guns shows becoming No shows

Ive noticed gun shows seem to be on the downward slide lately w murfreesboro being the only decent thing to go to w/in 100 miles of nashville,anyone else see this?? i know some are good, and some are bad, but were just not seeing any.I enjoy seeing DM, with him as an exception, but was just wondering...or has everyone finally sold out of nazi junk and bonehandled knives??? :ugh:

• Like 1

I blame it on the internets...

This exactly.  I think Hipower mentioned it in a recent gun show thread.  What with Armslist, Gunbroker, various forums, etc. there's just not as great a need to go to a physical location to make contact with potential buyers and sellers.

I have not been to a show since 2008. Was gonna go to one here a while back and it got cancelled. Didn't really want to buy anything but just get out of the house and donate 8 bucks to get in. Saved 8 bucks cause it was a buddy's gas and his truck......... :rofl: :rofl: Oh yea, his idea too.

This exactly.  I think Hipower mentioned it in a recent gun show thread.  What with Armslist, Gunbroker, various forums, etc. there's just not as great a need to go to a physical location to make contact with potential buyers and sellers.

Thanks for the plug, Mike. I doubt that it will get much better. I do hear that some of the larger shows, mostly outside Tn, are somewhat better.

And if this isn't a good leadin...Goodman Show this weekend!!

I might go. My brother-in-law is working it for a LGS. So I'm almost obliged to.

If you ask me one big reason is there are just too many shows now.  It's gotten out of hand.  Knoxville averages at least one show per month.

When I was a kid there were like 2 shows a year (in Memphis) and they were mighty good shows.

• Like 7

If you ask me one big reason is there are just too many shows now.  It's gotten out of hand.  Knoxville averages at least one show per month.

When I was a kid there were like 2 shows a year (in Memphis) and they were mighty good shows.

Yes, the proliferation of shows has done the shows(and us) in.

Guest semiautots

Why do the sellers at the show charge so much?  Why does the promoter charge so much?  I used to go when it cost $5 to get in.  Folks would stand in line.  But the Clinton years changed it.  The mag whores and pre-ban whores just jacked the price.  That, I think, was the start of the decline.  All the panic buying caused people to buy crap rifles.  The sellers were happy and the show promoters saw how much money the dealers were making.  Soon, there were 2 or 3 or 4 promoters serving the same market.  Here in Nashville we had a promoter that made so much he built his own building to have his show in.

Since online selling, with Bud's and SWFA and Palmetto State, what's the point of going to a gun show and paying $599 plus tax for a Glock you can order for $499?  Why buy ammo when you can order it for less with no tax?  It's fun to fondle the hardware, but $10 to get in and $6 worth of gas takes the fun out of that, plus the stupid "No Guns" sign to get in.  I will go the the Military Collectors show, but for a different reason.

I have been going to gun shows for close to 25 years.  I now just go 2-3 times per year.  I rarely buy from tables anymore, just from individuals walking the aisles, and mostly just trinkets or something.  I do enjoy the smaller small town gun shows more, because you may just run into something that would not normally show up at a large gun show.  I admit Gunbroker, Armslist, Midway, Brownells, Ebay, etc. are my preferred places to shop.  

I used to haunt when i needed something in hand, and had time to kill.13 bucks for nashville w no deals. Kind of depressing when it comes down to it. Hendersonville and Mboro had good vendors w some fair pricing,I work the net also as I know what I want or need.Often wondered if anyone ever took an approach or effort  to make a gun show fun to go to for the whole family.Seems like all the promoters do is collect at the door. no incentive to go these days.. oh well 

There used to be deals there. Now there seems to be no advantage in going to them because there's no incentive to fight the crowds. I hate crowds. :(

Unless you need a gas block on a Sunday. :) Then, they're pretty OK

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

you have to pick your shows.i can think of no reason to go to the fairgrounds any more.i am at Tulsa this weekend great deals here .I don't do many shows in middle or west tn .I do birminghan indy Tulsa dallas st Louis you have to find the good shows with a large turn out

Haven't been to one in about a year. I used to like looking at the guys who had massive collection and would get a booth and buy sell and trade for the pleasure of the hobby. That and the used inventory. Used to be easy to find more beater/project rifles than you could carry in a shopping cart. Now it seems about 80% gun shops with mostly new inventory, 17% beef jerky/t-shirts /cheap imported crap(knives, lighters, wallets etc.)

Once I get my press setup I might start going again to meet Mr. David, but that's about it.

Haven't been to one in about a year. I used to like looking at the guys who had massive collection and would get a booth and buy sell and trade for the pleasure of the hobby. That and the used inventory. Used to be easy to find more beater/project rifles than you could carry in a shopping cart. Now it seems about 80% gun shops with mostly new inventory, 17% beef jerky/t-shirts /cheap imported crap(knives, lighters, wallets etc.)

Once I get my press setup I might start going again to meet Mr. David, but that's about it.

It's always worth stopping by David's booth if you're not broke. I have a hard time leaving there without buying anything.

In the last two years the gun shows in west TN haven't been worth the entrance price.  I kept seeing the same overpriced items at each show.  One local gun store has made the remark that the gun shows are now increasing the business at his store.

The last RK show in Hendersonville (and it was the LAST, from what I understand) was just too expensive. Slots for 800 tables at $60 rent each, I heard. It wasn't full, either of vendors OR customers.

Goodman's show should be completely shot now that no private sales are allowed; you have to have a table and an FFL.

I think the "good ol' days" are long gone in that arena.

• Like 1

I would agree with you here. When I lived in Indy there was one big show (Indy 1500) about 4 times a year. This was the go to show. A lot of smaller shows spread out through the surrounding area butone were that big.

I moved to the Knox area and see RK Shows has two a month sometimes. Alternating between Chilhowee Park and the Expo Center. Gun Show overkill in my opinion because most dealers cannot replinsh all of their inventory that quick and the selection is not always there. 

And with some asking high prices it gives the first timer the impression it is cheaper to buy online or at a box store and save $8-$10 on admission and avoid the crowd.

out here at Tulsa the tables are 165.00 each there are over 4200

Insane! Even after the overhead if there is a full house the promoter will rake in over a half million.

4,200 tables @ $165/per = $693,000

3,000 adults attending @ $10/per = $30,000

I only go 2 or 3 times per year to a show. So, all the overpriced guns, jerky, tshirts, and ridiculous ammo prices start to sound good after 4 months of staying home. LOL Plus, for $9 with a coupon, it beats sitting on the couch or going to the movies. I still enjoy the atmosphere and can trick myself into thinking I might find a deal. Edited by BigK