Guns shows becoming No shows

Let’s be honest; it’s about price. Who cares if there is a bunch of junk and other assorted stuff; there are plenty of guns there. Problem is they are all priced too high for the majority of us that know where to buy.

I don’t see many of our local dealers or forum dealers participating in the gun shows. Why should they? Why should they pay to rent a table and transport guns when they will sell everything they have in their shops or on Gun Broker?

Of course the internet has impacted price. Years ago you could find people selling their guns off cheap. Either they didn’t know what they had or didn’t know what it would bring. Now you can find out with a few mouse clicks.

It seems to be a sellers’ market on used stuff. But I haven’t bought a used gun in a couple of years or more. Why would I when I can buy new for the same money?

What I noticed recently (last two purchases) is that there are local dealers that will match or beat internet pricing. On the other hand there are dealers that have crazy high pricing but they stay in business.
  • Like 1

It seems to be a sellers’ market on used stuff. But I haven’t bought a used gun in a couple of years or more. Why would I when I can buy new for the same money?

You're not wrong. I am very much in the used market right now but any time anything I am looking for comes up, the prices are so close to new as to be indistinguishable. Apparently it's selling, I guess.

Back in the 70 and 80 the gun shows were free to get in and they have guns. Lot of guns for sale. Also lots of guns parts. I use to get all the parts to build a 1911a1 at the shows. But not now. All you see is knives and beef jerky. The guns are high priced and there are no deals to be had. The only deals are from David.

Gun shows, at least the ones in Knoxville, have one big plus -- private sales/trades, hundreds offered in the same location in course of day. Only place it happens.

As far as selling, it's rare that one our Usual Suspects here doesn't unload a gun for what he realistically hoped to get or more.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I did well today, Chattanooga small show.   Traded away a revolver my wife changed her mind on, used that and my now depleted gun fund for a colt woodsman and got a nice sackfull of interesting hand-made knives for $150 (mostly a kitchen set + a cheap toy + a cool looking useless one). 

Usual suspects had jacked up ammo so we totally skipped several shady vendors (both those with the $60 22 and those I remember from before who were taking advantage). 

[quote name="Steelharp" post="1134230" timestamp="1396693739"]The last RK show in Hendersonville (and it was the LAST, from what I understand) was just too expensive. Slots for 800 tables at $60 rent each, I heard. It wasn't full, either of vendors OR customers. Goodman's show should be completely shot now that no private sales are allowed; you have to have a table and an FFL. I think the "good ol' days" are long gone in that arena.[/quote] No private sales at any goodman show or just nashville fairgrounds?

The last RK show in Hendersonville (and it was the LAST, from what I understand) was just too expensive. Slots for 800 tables at $60 rent each, I heard. It wasn't full, either of vendors OR customers.

Goodman's show should be completely shot now that no private sales are allowed; you have to have a table and an FFL.

I think the "good ol' days" are long gone in that arena.

Agreed.

Whether it's coming from the current political climate, which is probably the basis for most of these actions; the group of dealers wanting to end private sales and up their own sales numbers, Dean's group trying to end the gunshows and tear down the fairgrounds totally, the push to have all transactions done with a b/c and transfer, and/or a combination of these and other things.

I have made, and will make no more appearances at any Goodman event, or any gun show that espouses the banning of individual personal sales.

I have never understood all the hating on beef jerky other non gun items at guns shows.  Do any of these tables stop someone who is selling guns or whatever from getting a spot?

If you can't stand jerky or gutter guards can't you simply walk on by and not look?  I sample the jerky and politely say no thank you to gutter guards. No big deal.  

And 8 bucks is not so bad to be able to go somewhere and spend an afternoon around people who are like us.

• Like 2

I remember overhearing two dealers at a Knoxville show talking about the meeting all the dealers had to attend before the show. I didn't get it all but they were talking about price fixing.

I remember going to the shows when we lived in Ohio. The dealers only made $35-50 on a sale. But they always had 2-3 customers filling out federal form to be called in. So they were making money on volume. Not trying to put one of their kids through school on one sale.

[quote name="Ray Z" post="1134583" timestamp="1396765415"]I remember overhearing two dealers at a Knoxville show talking about the meeting all the dealers had to attend before the show. I didn't get it all but they were talking about price fixing. I remember going to the shows when we lived in Ohio. The dealers only made $35-50 on a sale. But they always had 2-3 customers filling out federal form to be called in. So they were making money on volume. Not trying to put one of their kids through school on one sale.[/quote] I am hoping they were hearing a talk about how price fixing is illegal vs a talk on how to fix prices?

I've been going to gun shows regularly since 1974 and even then there was constant complaining about "You can't find deals like you could in the old days; everything now is junk and too high priced."  I strongly suspect that the very first newsgroup on the Internet was probably devoted to whining about gun shows.

When I was a senior high school, gas at the self-service place near the house was 24.9 cents a gallon and you could get .22 ammo for 72 cents a box if you'd hit the Saturday sale at Western Auto.  Neither price is coming back now matter how many people moan and wail about it.  So why waste the time and energy doing so?   And here's an important secret about gun shows:  There's no law that requires you to stop at the vendors selling lead crystal or alligator jerky or Chinese knives and flashlights.  You can walk right on by.  Try it.

If you don't like gun shows, stay home and watch TV and eat Cheetos all afternoon.  Fewer crybabies blocking the aisles will make navigation easier for the rest of us.

:)

Cheers,

Whisper

• Like 2

If you don't like gun shows, stay home and watch TV and eat Cheetos all afternoon.  Fewer crybabies blocking the aisles will make navigation easier for the rest of us.

:)

Cheers,
Whisper

Okay. Welcome to the forum.
  • Like 1

I am hoping they were hearing a talk about how price fixing is illegal vs a talk on how to fix prices?

I would expect it would be more about not going around and checking out others prices then undercutting them. Though that's bad enough in itself.

Guest semiautots

I'll can't say I won't go again.  It's the one place you can buy with cash and walk.  Not talking about guns, but parts.  If the day ever comes, I'll be there.

It's nice to have em, just wish they were worth the price of admission and ran to make the experience fun. Versus paying to deal w a bunch of grouchy bastards selling overpriced junk. There are a few exceptions of course as there are a few awesome dealers there. I believe the promoter ie goodman are victims of their own demise. Telling dealers how to price goods is strange, but in wouldn't expect anything less from glorified coat checkers getting 10 bucks a head from folks who could get better deals online. Unless, as mike said getting a Sunday gas block or buffer retainer pin is the objective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

I have never understood all the hating on beef jerky other non gun items at guns shows.  Do any of these tables stop someone who is selling guns or whatever from getting a spot?

If you can't stand jerky or gutter guards can't you simply walk on by and not look?  I sample the jerky and politely say no thank you to gutter guards. No big deal.  

And 8 bucks is not so bad to be able to go somewhere and spend an afternoon around people who are like us.

Quite simple, the name says it all, "GUN" show. The rest is for flea mkts.

JMHO

I'm fine with some non gun vendors. I even buy stuff from them if I want it (cracker spread is my favorite non gun item. Crack on a cracker) but there gets to be a point where enough crap is enough crap.

True...but I'm jonesing for some of Grandad's Teriaki Jerky. Can't wait for M'boro show.

EDIT.  Got the name wrong...it was Pa Pa's Jerky.

Edited by hipower

True...but I'm jonesing for some of Grandad's Teriaki Jerky. Can't wait for M'boro show.

How is the show in the boro compared to the Nashville Goodman show size wise? All this talk about gun shows has actually got me wanting to go to one, maybe. I don't see the Nashville shows in my future anymore though.