Gas prices

RC3

Well since I can't ride a motorcycle without major discomfort since my back injury I decided to start looking into an an alternative vehicle to save on gas commuting so I only have to fill up the sports cars/truck when I want/need to take them out. A fire breathing canyon carver of a car is not so much fun in traffic. It's still a year out  and while it isn't much of a looker if it meets the predicted 80+ MPG I should save around $3k a year in fuel alone commuting. It also means I can go a little more crazy with my "weekend car" builds.  :cool:

1609599_667909133273962_646386047_n.jpg

So, its a car version of the cam am spyder. But that orange is far too ugly.

This is the reason why a couple of years ago I picked up a 2005 tdi jetta. I drive around 75 miles a day round trip for work. My truck was costing me $15 a day in gas. The jetta cost me about $6.50 a day in diesel.

There are some websites you can check prices in the area, I found it handy when loading up a bunch of gas cans and the truck, otherwise it's usually not worth driving too far. Search for gas prices. I didn't want to put a link in cuz I don't support any of them. No matter how you look at it we are getting shafted!

If you have Android, GasBuddy is pretty good. For me, it's turned out to be the local Walmart but the Pilot at 172 on 40 is usually a good price too.

The orange will help you be seen (hopefully) at least. I would get a ice cream truck PA system so they could hear you too! :) just kidding, I've never seen one of those but I am a firm believer if you want something, you should get it.
The TDI is a great engine, the Germans don't slack on their engineering. I had a 2001 BMW F650gs for a commuter, if I babied it I would get 78mpg. Wish I had it still just for that. It sure was Ugly though!

The orange will help you be seen (hopefully) at least. I would get a ice cream truck PA system so they could hear you too! :) just kidding, I've never seen one of those but I am a firm believer if you want something, you should get it.
The TDI is a great engine, the Germans don't slack on their engineering. I had a 2001 BMW F650gs for a commuter, if I babied it I would get 78mpg. Wish I had it still just for that. It sure was Ugly though!

Wish my audi was reliable. Damn thing is always braking.

So, its a car version of the cam am spyder. But that orange is far too ugly.

NO, a can am spyder on a good day gets 30mpg, is made to be "sporty", and costs $15k. http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/can-am/spyder

This is designed from the ground up to get 80+ mpg, is a bare bones commuter, and is supposed to cost around $6800 by using many off the shelf components.

To really pay for itself in a reasonable time frame with fuel savings you need to double(or better) your fuel mileage while keeping costs down. Previously I went from a BMW(5 series) that was getting 14-16 mpg to my beetle(only $2k + 28mpg) and it has payed for itself 2x over. Had I gotten a TDi at the time I likely wouldn't even be convinced on the Elio since I've seen VW TDis pull in 50mpg with light modifications.

I had an Audi, found it when I was looking for a Golf TDI, couldn't beat the deal on the Audi. I never had a problem with mine except for the turbo starting to leak. I did all of my own mechanicing, preventive maintenance is key to get the most out of all things mechanical. German autos tend to have the little things around the engine and trans break as they get old though.

I had an Audi, found it when I was looking for a Golf TDI, couldn't beat the deal on the Audi. I never had a problem with mine except for the turbo starting to leak. I did all of my own mechanicing, preventive maintenance is key to get the most out of all things mechanical. German autos tend to have the little things around the engine and trans break as they get old though.

I did all of that. And then the ECU went kaput. And decided to take other things with it. Replaced it, replaced the throttle body, and the damn thing still acting funny. (well, it demands a new throttle body since the one I got was not a good one, and a german virgin as a token sacrifice for me to drive it again). I got new tires on it and they have less than 3,000 miles. Wet weather performance tires. At least my dads corolla gets 30-31 combined. Since the tag place is still HANDGING ON to my damn tittle for the RX8. And usual BS response. We are working on it and will get it out to you as soon as possible.

VW? I have the tools (mine is the 2000).

Top tip: Do not lift the engine with a jack with a block of wood on top and have the block slip, dropping the engine on the jack and piercing the oil pan. Just saying.

Other than that, it's just a case of following the steps one after another. You may want to replace the bolts on the harmonic balancer while you're about it as they're soft and tend to get damaged on removal (the replacements are harder).

Edited by tnguy
  • Like 1

Calling him an old man I can see why... ;)

He has almost a full head of white hair, I have white hair and I just turned 24. Its a joke. And plus, he LOVES all my new rifles and likes seeing what I get. Then scorns me after my mom glares at him. At least I found an apt close to work that is a good price. Just need to enroll back into school, set my schedule at work for the long term and move out!

[quote name="RC3" post="1136471" timestamp="1397093006"]He has almost a full head of white hair, I have white hair and I just turned 24. Its a joke. And plus, he LOVES all my new rifles and likes seeing what I get. Then scorns me after my mom glares at him. At least I found an apt close to work that is a good price. Just need to enroll back into school, set my schedule at work for the long term and move out![/quote] I know, hence the winky face bromigo... Sent from the future using a flux capacitor.

I know, hence the winky face bromigo... Sent from the future using a flux capacitor.

No, you dont understand. His head has been almost completely white since his mid 30's. My 15 year old brother already has white hair. But all of out beards are a deep red due to italian roots.

Whoever thinks domestic oil production will lower prices is living in la la land.

This.

The speculators discovered in 2001 that they could sell it for whatever price they wanted and the public would still buy it... and the public buys more when the price goes up.

• Like 1

I'm fixing to do my first tdi timing belt job. Any advice lol.

I only have one piece of advice for you. Make darn sure that all of your timing marks are lined up exactly when you install the belt. Once you tighten the belt tension recheck all timing marks to make sure none jump a tooth. They have interference heads and if you crank the motor and it is a tooth or more off on any sprocket it will bend all the valves in the cylinder head.  I recommend strongly that once you have the belt installed and tight turn the motor over by hand at least 4 or 5 times with the first one being slowly. If the timing is off it will lock down not allowing you to turn it over. Don't try to force it. That will tell you it is out of time without bending valves..................jmho

• Like 1

I only have one piece of advice for you. Make darn sure that all of your timing marks are lined up exactly when you install the belt. Once you tighten the belt tension recheck all timing marks to make sure none jump a tooth. They have interference heads and if you crank the motor and it is a tooth or more off on any sprocket it will bend all the valves in the cylinder head.  I recommend strongly that once you have the belt installed and tight turn the motor over by hand at least 4 or 5 times with the first one being slowly. If the timing is off it will lock down not allowing you to turn it over. Don't try to force it. That will tell you it is out of time without bending valves..................jmho

Changing the water pump is a good idea as well. 

And its not even summer and the gas station already wants to take all my cash. Years ago I could fill up my old grand maquis with $20, now, $20 will give me half a tank in the corolla and about a third on the audi. This RX8 is going to kill me when it comes to the 16 gallon tank. 

Good advice on the timing belt change. When I did my 1.8 turbo I ordered the parts on line and they offered a tool package to facilitate the job, it was a rental deal and worked like a charm. Not sure about the tdi but on the A4 I had to move the front end about 4 inches to make room for the job, the tool kit was perfect.

Good advice on the timing belt change. When I did my 1.8 turbo I ordered the parts on line and they offered a tool package to facilitate the job, it was a rental deal and worked like a charm. Not sure about the tdi but on the A4 I had to move the front end about 4 inches to make room for the job, the tool kit was perfect.

My A4 has the 2.8, so I had to remove the whole front end. Still have photos.