Todays REAL Walmart Haul…

I do not stop daily, or even weekly. I do not go on ammo runs to WW. I do not try to beat every other person in before the line starts,

So I guess I will never see, at least not in the foreseeable future; a sight like that.

I will, and do check when I go to WW, where I shop usually.
  • Like 2

I wonder why it is that the Walmart in the above picture gets 1000 boxes of .22 and the one in OR never gets any.

That pisses me off just a little bit.

They are located in Alaska, and they don't get daily ammo deliveries. They've probably been waiting several months for that one big shipment. Now that it's gone, it will be another several months before they see any .22 ammo.

• Like 1
[quote name="hipower" post="1134530" timestamp="1396751680"]I do not stop daily, or even weekly. I do not go on ammo runs to WW. I do not try to beat every other person in before the line starts, So I guess I will never see, at least not in the foreseeable future; a sight like that. I will, and do check when I go to WW, where I shop usually.[/quote] ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.

They are located in Alaska, and they don't get daily ammo deliveries. They've probably been waiting several months for that one big shipment. Now that it's gone, it will be another several months before they see any .22 ammo.

sounds like here.   Except there never is any to begin with.  heck I'd happily wait several months to buy 96 bricks.  I wait that long now and get to buy no bricks.

Oh for the old days where you could walk in any store just about and buy a 50 rd box of .22's for 98 cents.  Never a need to stock up.

Of course I also wish I could fart under the blankets and not smell pooh.

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 4

sounds like here.   Except there never is any to begin with.  heck I'd happily wait several months to buy 96 bricks.  I wait that long now and get to buy no bricks.

Oh for the old days where you could walk in any store just about and buy a 50 rd box of .22's for 98 cents.  Never a need to stock up.

Of course I also wish I could fart under the blankets and not smell pooh.

No, no, no! You're much too young!

The good old days were walking into Western Auto at 12 years old and buying two 50 round boxes of .22 (LR, long or shorts) for 50 cents. Funded with your cashed in soda bottles at 2 cents each!

• Like 5

How do you know this to be true?

Not all of AK is the end of the world.

If the OR Walmart saved all the .22 they got in a year it wouldn't be that much. I know this because a friend of mine works there. I questioned him about the "We don't have .22 ammo" sign that's been hanging in the sporting goods dept. for the past 8 months. He said they don't ever get any.
Guest semiautots

How do you know this to be true?

Not all of AK is the end of the world.

If the OR Walmart saved all the .22 they got in a year it wouldn't be that much. I know this because a friend of mine works there. I questioned him about the "We don't have .22 ammo" sign that's been hanging in the sporting goods dept. for the past 8 months. He said they don't ever get any.

He gets it.  They all get .22.  It's automatically sent out on the trucks.  If he is telling you his store gets none, he is either ignorant or lying.

I had a stocker at my local WM say that some of the employees buy it.  Might be what's happening to you.

No, no, no! You're much too young!

The good old days were walking into Western Auto at 12 years old and buying two 50 round boxes of .22 (LR, long or shorts) for 50 cents. Funded with your cashed in soda bottles at 2 cents each!

In Monterey Tn., at the old Kings grocery store, they would sell you individual .22 shells, 10 for a dime. 

I do think the employees are in on it. I had one counter guy tell me a shipment came in last night, when he got here in the morning they were all gone. He opened. Can't blame them though since all the employees hours have been cut to 35 a week. Not a smiling employee in the store. Isn't the fundamental transformation wonderful :(

I do know for a fact that the employees at our local Dick's sporting goods typically split the .22lr before it hits the shelves.  They do not get an employee discount on ammo, so the management doesn't care as long as it sells. My friend that worked there was able to pick up a bulk package every couple of weeks. 

I was able to get a box of 525 winchester/western white box today for $25.  It just takes patience until your store gets some in, combined with knowing when to check for it.
The store looked nothing like that one, sure, but they had 20+ boxes an it was still there at least an hour later as 2 of my co-workers also each scored a box. 

Its out there.  Takes a bit of initiative and legwork to get it, but its out there.

I loved alaska when I visited.  I can only imagine finding your brass after it melts thru the snow is a chore, but all in all, a cold but beautiful place.  If they had any (real) jobs (in my field), I would be sorely tempted.  

Edited by Jonnin

Every now and then when I go to Wal-Mart I will go to the Sporting Goods Department & check out what ammo they have in stock? Last week I went to 2 different stores to pickup some items for some elderly family members & checked out the Ammo, each store had Ammo Cans of 9mm FMJ 1200 Rounds for $497.00 !!! I Gasped in Horror thinking if they are raising prices that much, I'll have to start shooting on Special Occasions Only!!!

They also had a few Ammo Cans of 556 Ammo, and if IIRC it was 420 rounds of 55 Grain FMJ for $197.00 which I thought was way to Expensive?

About 4 weeks ago I bought 420 Rounds of 62 Grain Green Tip, in an Ammo Can on Stripper Clips for $175.00 delivered..

There is a guy that works in that department & every now & then I will see him & ask if they got any 22 ammo in that day? Several times he has told me sure, but the same men came in & bought it all that morning!!! 

Then he asks me if I wanted any, and I said if I would have been here I would have got some for sure!! That's when he would start complaining about those Greedy (Sum Biscuits) that buy it out every day..

Then He pulls out a Brick or Bulk Pack of 22 Bullets and Drops it on the counter and says "I Hate those Guys" I can Only sell you 1 of these today, but you are getting one & that's a Good thing.. And I like Nothing Better than putting back a few Bricks of 22 Bullets for Customers that really use it like You!!!

He said the other guys have a route they drive everyday Hitting Every Wal-Mart from Hendersonville to the Franklin SpringHill area?  

I thought the money making days were over buying it at Wal-Mart & selling it online?

I guess I was wrong?

• 3 years later...
On 4/10/2014 at 8:40 AM, Tooreal said:

Every now and then when I go to Wal-Mart I will go to the Sporting Goods Department & check out what ammo they have in stock? Last week I went to 2 different stores to pickup some items for some elderly family members & checked out the Ammo, each store had Ammo Cans of 9mm FMJ 1200 Rounds for $497.00 !!! I Gasped in Horror thinking if they are raising prices that much, I'll have to start shooting on Special Occasions Only!!!

They also had a few Ammo Cans of 556 Ammo, and if IIRC it was 420 rounds of 55 Grain FMJ for $197.00 which I thought was way to Expensive?

About 4 weeks ago I bought 420 Rounds of 62 Grain Green Tip, in an Ammo Can on Stripper Clips for $175.00 delivered..

There is a guy that works in that department & every now & then I will see him & ask if they got any 22 ammo in that day? Several times he has told me sure, but the same men came in & bought it all that morning!!! 

Then he asks me if I wanted any, and I said if I would have been here I would have got some for sure!! That's when he would start complaining about those Greedy (Sum Biscuits) that buy it out every day..

Then He pulls out a Brick or Bulk Pack of 22 Bullets and Drops it on the counter and says "I Hate those Guys" I can Only sell you 1 of these today, but you are getting one & that's a Good thing.. And I like Nothing Better than putting back a few Bricks of 22 Bullets for Customers that really use it like You!!!

He said the other guys have a route they drive everyday Hitting Every Wal-Mart from Hendersonville to the Franklin SpringHill area?  

I thought the money making days were over buying it at Wal-Mart & selling it online?

I guess I was wrong?

Ah, once again in the land of Necro-posting...

My store in Vegas for about a year had a 3 box-person-day limit on .22. Didn't take long for the resellers to hire bums off property to come in and buy 3 boxes and hand them over to him when off the property.

I'm the guy that checks in ammo 5 days out of 7. I do NOT divert. I do not play such dimwit games. We regrettably in the management here have a contingent of Handgun Control Incorporated members. They don't like me; fine, I damn well don't like them. Few of my fellow employees buy ammo from me or any of the other WMs in Vegas.

As for the .223 62 grn 420 ct.... One lonely can of it for $174 in the case as of 10pm last night.

For all that we are 1 of 6 stores in the 20 store area that sells firearms, we are regarded as "urban", but the large volume of rounds is hunting rounds... go figure.

SWC a/k/a KI7CIL

A lot has changed since April. I bought two boxes of Winchester 22 magnum Saturday for 23.95 out the door. They had 555 bricks and bricks of Thunderbolt Remington lined up and some 100 packs of CCI. It going to take a while of availability before the price backs up and probably wont back up much over 10%.