Small carry guns: what the recommendation?

TresMon

Thanks everyone.

The LCP is the most UN-userfriendly for a southpaw I have ever tired to operate.

How so? No safeties or other gadgets to fuss with. Just pull the trigger. I'm left handed, and haven't noticed any problems.

Since you mentioned being left handed, I'm a Smith and Wesson fan, but I found you almost need a screwdriver to pry the safety into the fire position on the Shield I've handled. It's also on the wrong side for you.

Edited by gregintenn

Spend a little more and get the SIG P938.

It's my new "J-frame".  Wearing it as a backup gun right now.

This is my very much new favorite right here; just a little over 5 hundred I paid. Wear it all the time in an leather OWB and just about forget its there.

I know this is a little different, but I was a huge fan of my Kahr CM9, didn't really realize it until I stupidly sold it. My wife's LCP is the most uncomfortable handgun I've ever fired. I practice with it because I pocket carry it occasionally, but I despise shooting it. The Kahr feels like a Cadillac in comparison to me. I'll be purchasing another CM9 here very shortly for summer pocket carry.
  • Like 1
Guest SavageOne
IMO in your price range you can't beat the Kahr. The Shield is ok, but doesn't shoot with the Kahr. At least the two I've used. As for trigger systems, I don't care for single action pocket pistols. DA or striker fired are my choice in that application. We're lucky to have so many choices. Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

Cool that has the extra mag built in to it! :up:

Yeah, ain't all tactical like on weakside for quick reload, but that would just be wasted space under grip anyway, so great way to have the extra rounds with ya.

- OS

• Like 1

Yeah, ain't all tactical like on weakside for quick reload, but that would just be wasted space under grip anyway, so great way to have the extra rounds with ya.

- OS

Not only that but adds weight to the holster to keep it in the pocket during a draw.

Not only that but adds weight to the holster to keep it in the pocket during a draw.

Beauty of that design is that no pocket retention is necessary at all -- pressing down on it in pocket, soon as you start fingers between grip and spare mag, heater pops up out of holster retention into hand, no more friction with holster.

edit: here's visual aid I did some time ago:

StellarRigsDraw.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Went through this search a while back myself. After looking at all the above options plus many more I ended up with a Kahr Pm45 and love it. To me it all came down to comfort. After trying them all the kahr grip and feel were the best for me. I found with many and especially my old j-frame when I draw my barrel always had a downward cant. Sight picture was never there at all. When I pull up the kahr it lines up perfect. Find the one you are most comfortable with and you will be much happier.
  • Like 1
Guest Torrin
I just went through this process and ended up with a Shield 9mm with an R5 Viridian Green Laser. Thus far, I really dig the shield.
I hated my LCP for shooting. Was easy to conceal. Replaced it with a sig p290. A little bit bigger size wise. Never could get all that comfortable with it. Have an xds now. Waiting on my holster. The wife got a sig p238. She likes it but is waiting on her hcp. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I suggest you shoot the Sig 938.  The design is based upon an old Colt that has it's pros and cons but has been a solid performer.  Sig improved upon that design and has produced a solid, accurate, concealable, and reliable 9mm.  I have a Sig 938 Nightmare and it is by far my favorite Summer carry...

Beauty of that design is that no pocket retention is necessary at all -- pressing down on it in pocket, soon as you start fingers between grip and spare mag, heater pops up out of holster retention into hand, no more friction with holster.

edit: here's visual aid I did some time ago:

StellarRigsDraw.jpg

- OS

Did you make that? Or did I miss the brand?
I think the P938 is the champ of pocket carry. I loved my lcp, and the p938 is a little larger, but there is no comparison in accuracy. I have accurately shot my P938 out to about 40 yards with good results.

Excellent sites, great size, easy to shoot, low recoil for a pocket 9mm, and a damn sexy gun.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
  • Like 2

I went out and bought a M&P .40 compact last Friday before I went camping. I was quite pleased that it fits into an E1 pocket holster, and said holster fits into my back pocket. I sat on it all the way to the campground without any unpleasantness, so I'm pretty tickled.

Glock 42.  Remember to keep it low and lock the wrist and elbow.  I have yet to make it hiccup.  Rapid fire is no problem.  Accuracy is good.  Recoil is very light and muzzle jump is very low. The extractor seems a little tuned.  The brass piles up in a 2 foot circle about a foot from my leg.   I like it better than my 238 so far.

[quote name="dcloudy777" post="1135201" timestamp="1396898701"]Spend a little more and get the SIG P938. It's my new "J-frame". Wearing it as a backup gun right now.[/quote] For deep concealment, I prefer the SIG P938. It's a nice single action pistol, albeit with a bit heavier trigger. My most common carry pistol is my SIG P229R in 40. Michael Noirot Clarksville, Tennessee Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk