[Yet Another] Glock Question

So I detail stripped my Glock 21 the other night, partly out of curiosity and partly because after 1000 rounds i figured it couldn't hurt. It took all of 15 minutes to get it totally apart, without even using the net for reference. It's deceptively simply. I'm amazed how simple the gun is, the most complicated parts are the safeties, and maybe the springs around the cruciform. Nothing like my other guns in complexity.

Anyway, I am wondering about the spring cups, if that's even right. I know a G17 has changable spring cups for the striker spring, to waterproof at least. mine seemed to have one piece of plastic where the striker tip comes out and hits the primer, and a long piece at the back which has a groove where the downward facing protruding piece that contacts the cruciform/connectoer moves. I can't figure out how to get the striker apart, and there's obvious gunk (and somehow dirty oil) in the firing pin channel in this plastic piece. If anyone know how to clean this I'd appreciate it. I can post pics if I'm confusing.

I'm also wondering, since I gouged a tiny bit of the piece at the back of the slide that houses the striker and extractor spring channels out, how I should smooth that. I know some people want beat up glocks, but I want to keep this as well all my other guns, clean. Should I just use a small light file and smooth it?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pull the striker spring back from the cups and the cups will come off.Reassemble in reverse order.Striker plates are cheap to replace if a little scratch bothers you.

Guest Todd@CIS

Anyway, I am wondering about the spring cups, if that's even right. I know a G17 has changable spring cups for the striker spring, to waterproof at least. mine seemed to have one piece of plastic where the striker tip comes out and hits the primer, and a long piece at the back which has a groove where the downward facing protruding piece that contacts the cruciform/connectoer moves. I can't figure out how to get the striker apart, and there's obvious gunk (and somehow dirty oil) in the firing pin channel in this plastic piece. If anyone know how to clean this I'd appreciate it.

Don't bother.

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner (or Gunscrubber) is your friend.

Todd, is brake cleaner really safe to use on Glocks? I've always heard that it can damage or discolor the polymer.....so I usually buy the expensive polymer safe gun scrubber for my Glocks. So should I save money and just buy brake cleaner for all my guns?

Todd, is brake cleaner really safe to use on Glocks? I've always heard that it can damage or discolor the polymer.....so I usually buy the expensive polymer safe gun scrubber for my Glocks. So should I save money and just buy brake cleaner for all my guns?

It shouldn't hurt it.

I've been using it for years and haven't had any problems.

I use the "polymer safe" stuff on guns with teflon finishes and "iffy" plastic parts.

Guest Verbal Kint
Don't bother.

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner (or Gunscrubber) is your friend.

The words in red are the key here. Normal brake cleaner can damage or discolor polymer weapons. The non-chlorinated cleaner will not. It's very important you choose the right can.

Here are four links that show complete slide disassembly:

http://www.topglock.com/info/coverplate.htm

http://www.topglock.com/info/firingpin.htm

http://www.topglock.com/info/edp.htm

http://www.topglock.com/info/extractor.htm

If you are referring to the black plastic spacer sleeve that is part of the firing pin assembly, these steps will get you there. If you are referring to the channel liner, which is a plastic sleeve embedded in the slide, you need a 5/16" bolt (IIRC), which is basically threaded into the channel liner, and then simply pulled out. Be forewarned, your liner will now be your old liner, because it's usually destroyed using this method. There really is no reason to remove it, though.

Guest Todd@CIS

Verbal is correct (that pained me to say)...non-chlorinated brake cleaner is the key. My favorite is "WearEver" brand sold at Advance Auto...it smells the least and seems to dry the fastest. I'll also use Prestone. These are the only two I use.

Nothing on a Glock will be harmed with these products. I use brake cleaner when cleaning all my guns. The only issues I've had...discolored some wood grips and melted some very cheapo rubber grips (will not hurt the rubber slip-on Glock grip). On my ARs, I just make sure to keep it off of my lights and optics.

Edited by Todd@CIS
  • 1 month later...