Putting together an ar 15 lower.

The ARFCOM guide is all you need.  It's got pictures and everything.  The only way you can mess it up is to let a spring-loaded detent shoot across the room.

Wish I knew what a detent is. I'll go home a bit early today and try and put it together. I will show the damages hopefully later on tonight.

If you Google "ar lower assembly" the very first link it comes up with is the guide.  I hope this is the one you've been looking at.  Study the picture of the parts and compare to your parts kit as a couple of those spring do look very similar.

First time, a clear plastic bag you can get lower and hands into will likely be a friend for anything involving spring/detente.

I used this feller's vids first time. I don't have receiver block or vise either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_Vkb2UB1w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq4KfUaVp8M

- OS

The ARFCOM guide is all you need.  It's got pictures and everything.  The only way you can mess it up is to let a spring-loaded detent shoot across the room.

I printed the ARFCOM out, and sat down at the kitchen table with all my parts...  About 45 min later I had an AR.

If I can do it, anybody can.

The combination roll pin starter/detent pin instalaltion tool that sells for about $10 pays for itself in lost detent pins and frustration.  That tedious one on the front takedown pin can be installed without but if you have one it becomes 10 second job with no lost detents.

The combination roll pin starter/detent pin instalaltion tool that sells for about $10 pays for itself in lost detent pins and frustration.  That tedious one on the front takedown pin can be installed without but if you have one it becomes 10 second job with no lost detents.

Razor blade does same.  I can do one with just paper clip now too. Ten clams is ten clams.

But I still do it in a plastic bag. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Its put together. I had gabe from north side help me out. It really isnt hard at all. So much for all my fears. Except for the pin that holds the bolt catch. Now that pin can go to hell. 

• Like 2

Razor blade does same.  I can do one with just paper clip now too. Ten clams is ten clams.

But I still do it in a plastic bag. :)

- OS

I always used a razor blade.  But for my most recent, I bought the BAD takedown pins.  The front has a second shallower channel and a third detent spot.  The third spot will hold the detent (with a magnet on the back side) and then you just slide it all together.  I will be using these on all future builds.  Stupid simple. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9YFMjFHqts

It isn't very difficult, but seems intimidating if you haven't done it. I kept wondering when I'd get to the hard part, but it never came. My only trouble was launching the tiny c clip that goes on the dust cover hinge pin. One tap with a hammer got it started, and as I was about to hit it again, it came to life and jumped into parts unknown.

I always used a razor blade.  But for my most recent, I bought the BAD takedown pins.  The front has a second shallower channel and a third detent spot.  The third spot will hold the detent (with a magnet on the back side) and then you just slide it all together.  I will be using these on all future builds.  Stupid simple. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9YFMjFHqts

That is cool. 

'Course you can use the KNS pins and not fool with springs/detentes at all:

ef94adf9efbff8e9ab7e266767667cff.jpg

The takedown one is nice solution for putting a rifle length buffer tube on a pistol, without having to tap the spring/detente channel for a set screw.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

My third upper and lower parts came in today, so tonight I will attempt do finish the third rifle without someone there. Will have photos of the victory or defeat depending on what parts I mess up.

I built one yesterday, it was my 1st so the hymen has been broken, it took me a little longer than I thought going back forth between the instructions printed from the ar site and watching the video. But no lost springs or detents and no scratches or nicks as I masked everything off
with a lot of masking tape. Now on to the upper once I can afford to buy all the parts, now that raises a question as I would like to use a 20 inch stainless barrel, what are some suggestions for getting one in that configuration as to where and cost? thanks

Those videos Oh Shoot posted are good.

I like to print out the parts guide from AR15.com and use it as a visual reference to pick out the correct springs.

Then, I pull up the video and start starting and stopping until the gun is done.

Mark

• Like 1

After much wait and borrowing a hammer from the neighbor, I have the third and final lower together. Had Gabe inspect it and its all good. Was not hard at all. By the way, thanks for those videos Oh Shoot, they were really handy for double checking everything, specially the trigger and hammer springs/coils. 

aVzse4P.jpg

And this is the outcome of yalls help and guidance. Cant wait to take them to the range!

Edited by RC3
  • Like 1

And the trick for that is to carefully align your pin so that it lands directly in a bucket of oil normally used for soaking spare milsurp parts while cleaning.  Clever, aren't I!

Wish I knew what a detent is. I'll go home a bit early today and try and put it together. I will show the damages hopefully later on tonight.

It's the tiny part that launches directly into the stratosphere, never to be seen again (unless of course you use the bucket trick posted earlier).

Don't be so hasty there, I managed to launch one with the tool ...

It isn't very difficult, but seems intimidating if you haven't done it. I kept wondering when I'd get to the hard part, but it never came. My only trouble was launching the tiny c clip that goes on the dust cover hinge pin. One tap with a hammer got it started, and as I was about to hit it again, it came to life and jumped into parts unknown.

It's a well-known fact that no c-clip ever made actually fits the hinge pin ...

• Like 1