Putting together an ar 15 lower.

The parts do not launch into the stratosphere. They launch with such velocity that they leave our reality and land in someone else's. This is why you always seem to find something you don't remember loosing. That is because in an alternate universe somewhere someone launched that part into our reality.

BTW, this is similar to what happens with socks in the dryer. The swirling motion of the dryer opens up a similar space/time portal allowing your left, and only the left, socks to fall through.

• Like 2

It's a well-known fact that no c-clip ever made actually fits the hinge pin ...

A customer service rep from Brownells called when I ordered 6 of those stupid little buggers. She thought surely it was a typo...

I'm sure I can source them locally but when it is 11:00 pm it is just easier to click and add to cart...

I used my fingers to install my last one. Pushed it on till it stopped and then tapped on it with the handle of a screwdriver. Went right on without issue.

What someone ought to do is make a stepped rod. Just have the diameter step down. The c clip is just extra parts. Unnecessary.

It isn't very difficult, but seems intimidating if you haven't done it. I kept wondering when I'd get to the hard part, but it never came. My only trouble was launching the tiny c clip that goes on the dust cover hinge pin. One tap with a hammer got it started, and as I was about to hit it again, it came to life and jumped into parts unknown.

I put mine on before I assembled the cover. It's only an issue once the barrel is installed I think (It was actually already installed for my pistol upper kit)

Those videos Oh Shoot posted are good.

I like to print out the parts guide from AR15.com and use it as a visual reference to pick out the correct springs.

Then, I pull up the video and start starting and stopping until the gun is done.

Mark

I'm not a big fan of the videos. A good labelled step-by step diagram is far superior and doesn't have to keep being paused and backed-up.

There is at least one pin (bolt catch spring pin I think) where it's hard to tell from the videos which way around it's supposed to go because most of them just pick it up and insert it without explaining and their big thumbs get in the way. And they do some bits too slow and some bits too fast.

What's really fun is unscrewing a buffer tube when you're not paying attention.  That retainer launches with incredible velocity.

That's a design decision that puzzles me. What is the purpose of it being spring-loaded (or even a pin)? Am I missing something?

Never mind. I forgot I worked that out before... :D

Edited by tnguy

It would have to be stepped in such a way that it could only be removed from the front correct? If so, then the only way to ever change the dust cover would be to remove the barrel nut.

Might be an option to do something like a watch spring-pin. Not that it's a big deal.

The parts do not launch into the stratosphere. They launch with such velocity that they leave our reality and land in someone else's. This is why you always seem to find something you don't remember loosing. That is because in an alternate universe somewhere someone launched that part into our reality.

BTW, this is similar to what happens with socks in the dryer. The swirling motion of the dryer opens up a similar space/time portal allowing your left, and only the left, socks to fall through.

Had the same thing happen to a friend, but instead of him loosing parts of is AK, it was the coolant for his car. Do this day, we still do not know where it went. No signs of leaks and the head gasket was not warped or worn. 

It would have to be stepped in such a way that it could only be removed from the front correct? If so, then the only way to ever change the dust cover would be to remove the barrel nut.

Depends on the Forearm. The nsr barrel nut doesn't block it. But I don't really plan on having to change it anyways.

Its put together. I had gabe from north side help me out. It really isnt hard at all. So much for all my fears. Except for the pin that holds the bolt catch. Now that pin can go to hell. 

Yes... Even with pin holding tools that pin is a SOB. I've put 3 together so far and only the 2nd one was easier and the 3rd one sucked balls....

Yes... Even with pin holding tools that pin is a SOB. I've put 3 together so far and only the 2nd one was easier and the 3rd one sucked balls....

I got so angry with it, I scratched a little bit of the receiver by where the pin is placed. Nothing big tho. 

[quote name="Garufa" post="1137179" timestamp="1397222438"]What's really fun is unscrewing a buffer tube when you're not paying attention. That retainer launches with incredible velocity.[/quote] You speak the truth for sure. Been there done that. I thought I had a few more threads left but was wrong. Luckily I found mine.

I have never done one before. So I am looking to get it right the first time. Too bad it doesnt come with instructions like the lego sets.

Watch the video or better buy the AGI AR DVD its one of the best guides out there picked one up years ago for my first build, you can stop the video as you go back it up to see something over again. Got the video DVD on ebay used was like $5.00 plus shipping.

I like to print out the parts guide from AR15.com and use it as a visual reference to pick out the correct springs......

I do the same thing.  I also use it to inventory a new LPK to make sure that everything is there.

4jx6xu.png