TN OC bill passed Senate

I can't and don't agree at all... As American citizens we should not have to beg for permission to exercise what was a given right the right to self defnece... Secondly I don't assume that any state required course is training at all; it is a hoop that that the state makes you jump through in order to exercise your rights! And the problem is not the GP it is that the Criminal Element does not abide by the law in the first place and prays on the GP.... 

teecro.........please re-read my post and point out where I supported MANDATORY training or state fees.

Concur.  Shooting takes practice, practice and more practice to the point of muscle memory to be able to put steel on target effectively and safely in a non-range situation.  I think a training requirement isn't too much to ask and would consider it as people (male and female) doing their civic duty.

Another problem right now is the price of ammo is prohibitive for a lot of people who would love to keep in practice with their weapons.  Ammo has to come after paying the bills and making sure the kids are clothed and fed.

You can get a lot of practice by simply using "Dry Practice".  Safe gun handling, presentation, re-holster,sight alignment, trigger press can all be done without firing a shot.  This all carries over to the range and maximizes your ammo when you can get to the range.  Don't short change yourself.....do it routinely.

Next argument I expect to hear against this legislation is the cost of all the body bags they'll have to buy for all the deaths from OK Corral shoot outs in the streets. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

Next argument I expect to hear against this legislation is the cost of all the body bags they'll have to buy for all the deaths from OK Corral shoot outs in the streets. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got the same arguments from some friends when I posted this to Facebook. Yep, because all those other states have been nothing but blood baths since open carry was instated...

• Like 1

You can get a lot of practice by simply using "Dry Practice".  Safe gun handling, presentation, re-holster,sight alignment, trigger press can all be done without firing a shot.  This all carries over to the range and maximizes your ammo when you can get to the range.  Don't short change yourself.....do it routinely.

Yay! Sex without orgasm!!!

Not!!! Sound, flash, recoil, and hitting what you aimed at are all missing. It's not the same thing, IMHO.

Yep. Had that argument with an angry libtard yesterday on Facebook. Naturally, facts weren't allowed, so I suggested that he might find true happiness living in the Empire State. Once again, I'm a racist.

Virginia is an open-carry-no-permit state.  I live only 300 yards from the state line with Virginia, and half of our city is IN Virginia.  I would be glad to provide any of those "blood-in-the-streets" predictors a real-life, real-time example of how big a "NOT A CONCERN" this legislation really is.  Oh wait - that would be a 'fact', and thus incomprehensible to those morons...

• Like 1

No, it's not. But 90% of your training should be dry. 

That's a subjective statement. The Marine Corps didn't have me spend 90% of my time sitting around dry-firing for sure, and neither did the police department nor the academy. Surviving the real thing is what trained the best hence one of the reasons why newby's are not valued in a combat zone. So following that logic practicing in an environment that is as close to the real thing as possible is what's effective: however, not something the average gun owner can afford.

[quote name="SWJewellTN" post="1136682" timestamp="1397143378"]That's a subjective statement. The Marine Corps didn't have me spend 90% of my time sitting around dry-firing for sure, and neither did the police department nor the academy. Surviving the real thing is what trained the best hence one of the reasons why newby's are not valued in a combat zone. So following that logic practicing in an environment that is as close to the real thing as possible is what's effective: however, not something the average gun owner can afford.[/quote] Draw, presentation and sight acquisition can all be practiced dry. Sight acquisition, in my opinion, is the most important thing to learn in order to accurately put rounds on target. I've shot a whole bunch. I routinely practice dry drills. It is a great tool for training. When I go to the range, the muscle memory built upon dry drills is beyond noticeable. This gets into the subject of combat shooting versus target shooting. Two completely different things. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SWJewellTN, on 10 Apr 2014 - 11:22 AM, said:Draw, presentation and sight acquisition can all be practiced dry. Sight acquisition, in my opinion, is the most important thing to learn in order to accurately put rounds on target. I've shot a whole bunch. I routinely practice dry drills. It is a great tool for training. When I go to the range, the muscle memory built upon dry drills is beyond noticeable. This gets into the subject of combat shooting versus target shooting. Two completely different things. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have yet to meet a competition shooter, or instructor (and that has been a dozen of so with me)  that didn't recommend dry practice exercises.  Even with Tactical/Personal Defense practice, the presentation and first trigger press can all be done against a par timer for increased speed, skill, and accuracy. Also mag changes and malfunction drills.  And all done cheaply without firing a shot. 

Edited by chances R
[quote name="chances R" post="1136705" timestamp="1397145646"] Also mag changes and malfunction drills. And all done cheaply without firing a shot. [/quote] Yes. I'll admit, I've gotten lazy on mag change drills since I usually don't carry a spare mag on me. I incorporate slap/rack/bang drills into my draw/presentation/sight acquisition drills though. All trying to build upon muscle memory. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not suggesting that dry fire has no value. I'm stating that it's not even close to what some appear to be suggesting as necessary to be qualified, (in their minds at least), to carry a weapon.

If someone wants to train like Rambo to feel comfortable carrying a weapon in public that's fine with me. It's their money. I just take issue with people who want to extend their standards to someone else publicly and randomly. Nowhere in the 2nd does it say "....as long as you have proper training."

Guest semiautots

I'm not suggesting that dry fire has no value. I'm stating that it's not even close to what some appear to be suggesting as necessary to be qualified, (in their minds at least), to carry a weapon.

If someone wants to train like Rambo to feel comfortable carrying a weapon in public that's fine with me. It's their money. I just take issue with people who want to extend their standards to someone else publicly and randomly. Nowhere in the 2nd does it say "....as long as you have proper training."

I think "regulated" has that meaning in the 2nd.

[quote name="semiautots" post="1136750" timestamp="1397151080"]I think "regulated" has that meaning in the 2nd.[/quote] that is because the framers assumed that if one chose to keep and bear arms that they would also train regularly in their use to be as proficient as possible in maintaining "the security of a free state"... I dont think dumbassery existed in their time to the degree it does now...but hey, that's just me...
  • Like 2

that is because the framers assumed that if one chose to keep and bear arms that they would also train regularly in their use to be as proficient as possible in maintaining "the security of a free state"... I dont think dumbassery existed in their time to the degree it does now...but hey, that's just me...

So, you think a bunch of farmers or city folk in the 1700's trained regularly, and that's what they meant? That must be the same place where they said everyone must drive a Corvette.

Edited by SWJewellTN
[quote name="SWJewellTN" post="1136775" timestamp="1397155367"]So, you think a bunch of farmers or city folk in the 1700's trained regularly, and that's what they meant? That must be the same place where they said everyone must drive a Corvette.[/quote] you think they just hung em over the fireplace for decoration?? or left em in the gun rack on the wagon?? I dont think they trained in the sense that we train today, but most people who have studied the founders pretty much agree that "well regulated" meant well trained...not regulated through laws like the gun grabbers would have us believe...but, of course, YMMV...

you think they just hung em over the fireplace for decoration?? or left em in the gun rack on the wagon?? I dont think they trained in the sense that we train today, but most people who have studied the founders pretty much agree that "well regulated" meant well trained...not regulated through laws like the gun grabbers would have us believe...but, of course, YMMV...

No, I think that they hunted and protected their selves. They worked their farms and didn't have time to travel for a day(s) for drills.

so why was the term well regulated included in the 2A?

Depends on who you ask now doesn't it? Some judges have said that the militia does not have anything to do with the 2nd as in "...shall not be infringed." Is it your belief that you only have the right to bear arms if you were in a militia? Since the Feds had no standing army they called militias from the individual states, and the states formed militias.

[quote name="SWJewellTN" post="1136828" timestamp="1397162623"]Depends on who you ask now doesn't it? Some [u]judges[/u] have said that the militia does not have anything to do with the 2nd as in "...shall not be infringed." Is it your belief that you only have the right to bear arms if you were in a militia? Since the Feds had no standing army they called militias from the individual states, and the states formed militias.[/quote] doesnt answer the question I asked....did you read post 71?? that should give you an idea of what my thoughts on 2A are... Edited by jacob