New open carry law??!!

So the new open carry without a permit law passed the state senate.  What are your thoughts?  Do you think someone should be able to carry a gun without a permit?  What do you think about open carry?  What message does open carry send to the public?  Bring on the opinions...

Here's hoping, moved here from a state with no permit OC and honestly I never had an issue with it as I OC'd quite often. Working on a permit here to carry but I'm not a fan of limiting carry to those who can legally own a firearm.

Regardless of your views on OC, it's a step in the right direction for all gun rights in TN.

Edited by xjsnake
  • Like 1

Here's hoping, moved here from a state with no permit OC and honestly I never had an issue with it as I OC'd quite often. Working on a permit here to carry but I'm not a fan of limiting carry to those who can legally own a firearm.

Regardless of your views on OC, it's a step in the right direction for all gun rights in TN.

You're not a fan of limiting carrying to people who can legally own a firearm?  So if you can't legally own a firearm you think you should be allowed to carry one?

So the new open carry without a permit law passed the state senate.  What are your thoughts?  Do you think someone should be able to carry a gun without a permit?  What do you think about open carry?  What message does open carry send to the public?  Bring on the opinions...

Better yet what are your opinions? As it sounds to me (and forgive me if I'm mistaken) that not only are you against open carry and you think that a person should be required to get a permit before they can carry concealed?  

Myself while I open carry rarely I've little to no problem with open carry in all most any situation.  As to requiring a permit to CC well let's just say I love AZ, AK & VT for having the forethought to NOT require a permit to CC or openly carry.....

Guest Authenticman
I think xjsnake meant he wasnt a fan of limiting leagal gun owners, as in they should not have limitations. It just didnt read quite right. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Guest Authenticman
[quote name="kevhunt80" post="1135954" timestamp="1397009294"]You're not a fan of limiting carrying to people who can legally own a firearm? So if you can't legally own a firearm you think you should be allowed to carry one?[/quote]

I think xjsnake meant he wasnt a fan of limiting leagal gun owners, as in they should not have limitations. It just didnt read quite right.Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
*legal Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

if you have a carry permit now, you can open carry. It's a carry permit, not a conceal carry permit. So the question is, should any law abiding citizen be allowed to carry a gun without government approval?

• Like 1
Guest TresOsos

if you have a carry permit now, you can open carry. It's a carry permit, not a conceal carry permit. So the question is, should any law abiding citizen be allowed to carry a gun without government approval?

Yes, open or concealed...Constitutional Carry, and as far as I'm concerned, long guns also.

Edited by TresOsos
[quote name="greenego" post="1136199" timestamp="1397065399"]if you have a carry permit now, you can open carry. It's a carry permit, not a conceal carry permit. So the question is, should any law abiding citizen be allowed to carry a gun without government approval?[/quote] Yes. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

I'm all for it and as long as I have a HCP I will keep on renewing it so I can carry in other states. It will start out like all the other carry laws if it passes into law, some people will cry and moan about wild west shootouts for a month or two and when that doesn't happen and they see that most people don't care what their opinion is, they will finally shut up about it.

• Like 1

Yes; and that is the key phrase.

I have mixed emotions about this, personally. We all know felons have access to guns if they really want to. The current permit process helps with weeding them out. If one becomes allowed to carry without any check involved, I can see where this would open the door for felons to have a way to carry. Would this open the door for police to randomly be able to stop EVERYONE they see at any time and request ID to see if they are legal or not?

I'm personally not a huge fan of open carry, however I do it from time to time. At least as it stands NOW, we "know" that anyone carrying, concealed or open, has gone through a check of some kind, and they are indeed a basic "law abiding citizen."

Yes; and that is the key phrase.

I have mixed emotions about this, personally. We all know felons have access to guns if they really want to. The current permit process helps with weeding them out. If one becomes allowed to carry without any check involved, I can see where this would open the door for felons to have a way to carry. Would this open the door for police to randomly be able to stop EVERYONE they see at any time and request ID to see if they are legal or not?

I'm personally not a huge fan of open carry, however I do it from time to time. At least as it stands NOW, we "know" that anyone carrying, concealed or open, has gone through a check of some kind, and they are indeed a basic "law abiding citizen."

I'm not sure that we know now that anyone open carrying is not a felon. Unless the police are now checking everyone and asking to see their permits, that same felon could now be open carrying. He could also now be concealed carrying. I don't think this would have much effect either way on whether or not felons are carrying guns. A cop can call in your name and birthday and find out if you are a felon almost as fast as he can look at your permit.

The crime rates will skyrocket if any felon is allowed to carry.  The process we use for a permit is not all that bad.   I personally like knowing theres a system in place that is purposefully made for the good guys to carry guns, and the bad guys be forced to do it illegally - increasing their chances of punishment.  Does the 2nd amendment apply to fellons?  In my opinion the law exists to reflect God's wishes on humanity, thereby our constitutional rights do as well.

Genesis 4. In this chapter, we read about the first murder. Cain decided to kill his brother rather than get right with God. There were no guns available, although there may well have been a knife. Whether it was a knife or a rock, the Bible does not say. The point is, the evil in Cain’s heart was the cause of the murder, not the availability of the murder weapon.

God’s response was not to ban rocks or knives, or whatever, but to banish the murderer. Later (see Gen. 9:5-6) God instituted capital punishment.

[quote name="TNoutdoors" post="1136654" timestamp="1397140335"]The crime rates will skyrocket if any felon is allowed to carry. [/quote] I think you're confused. This bill would not allow felons to carry handguns. Considering that felons aren't allowed to possess them in the first place, anyone making any mention of felons in regard to this bill need to remember that criminals will do what they do without respect to the law. That's why they're called criminals. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
Guest TresOsos

The crime rates will skyrocket if any felon is allowed to carry. 

I would think that if a felony wants to carry a gun, he already does and doesn't care what the law is, he's a felon. Sure hope this was sarcasm and I missed it. Criminals don't obey laws, that's why they are criminals.

Edited by TresOsos

Allow me to set a mini stage for you here...

First off MI  along with 6 other states has a gun registration system which I dislike as it allows the government to know exactly what I own; knowledge equals power and the government is already far too powerful and imposing on our lives.

But this registration process in MI is fairly simple and as long as your "legal" to own and over the age of 18 you can openly carry in select area without any training whatsoever to which once over 21 you can get a CPL and this affords you the ability to conceal in select area and then openly carry in some areas where you can't conceal. Now this extra is not afforded to those who don't have a CPL so there is a privilege given to those who willingly seek the extra training and background check. And ultimately there is nothing wrong with that but I digress.

OK so now MI could have hoards of 18 year old know nothings walking the streets with sidearm of choice openly displayed and unless they are doing something obviously wrong the law can't even so much as legally demand to see their ID... Remember we are innocent until proven guilty… Do you think that we have madness in the streets? Nope not at all and for the most part very few even bother to open carry and if done in a reasonable and respectful manor hardly anyone even notices.

Now let’s travel to a select few other states (AR, AK, VT) that follow Constitutional Carry in that they have no registration system, allow open carry as well as conceal carry without permit do these states have blood running in the gutters due to their lack of imposing gun laws? No they do not! Is there something intellectually different about these people? Are they simply more intelligent than the people of TN please tell me no as otherwise I may have made a mistake in my choice of moving here?

It's all in what you’re exposed to, this is what you become accustomed to. I grew up in LA where there was no registration, open carry was legal and your car was considered an extension of your home. Thus I was appalled at what I considered to be such imposing gun laws when I moved to MI yet the MI residents said oh it's not that bad as that's what they were accustomed to.

Folks please to not balk at relaxing your gun laws as I promise you that you will not like it when they further tighten the reins...

• Like 1

It may have been sarcasm; but my point was that, while we all know criminals disregard the law (duh), and so it's reasonable to assume that SOME felons are carrying weapons, I think it's also reasonable to assume that a measure of them that right NOW don't carry a gun because of whatever conscience they have left will feel like they have a "pass go" card.

I am not going to say crime will increase; in the other states that have this, I'm not sure there has been an increase in crime. I just think the permit process is a good move, and not 100% sure circumnavigating it is a good idea.

Guest TresOsos

There's like 2 or 3 seperaste threads open on this subject, so I'll just cut and past this from one of the othere.

Honestly. it took me as long time to overcome my "snobbery".

The 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution says: "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

In does not say "the right to keep and bear arms shall only apply to people I approve of or meet my appearance standards or gun handling standards....etc"

If it did and I was in charge half you yahoos would not have a gun, so be glad I'm not in charge.

Realize also that this is how the opposition wants to interperate the 2nd, you have to take the good with the bad, esspecially in a(supposedly) free society.

[quote name="Steelharp" post="1136669" timestamp="1397142234"]It may have been sarcasm; but my point was that, while we all know criminals disregard the law (duh), and so it's reasonable to assume that SOME felons are carrying weapons, I think it's also reasonable to assume that a measure of them that right NOW don't carry a gun because of whatever conscience they have left will feel like they have a "pass go" card. I am not going to say crime will increase; in the other states that have this, I'm not sure there has been an increase in crime. I just think the permit process is a good move, and not 100% sure circumnavigating it is a good idea.[/quote] Everyone has a right to arm themselves for self defense. Felons have had that right taken away by a jury of their peers. As for the rest, they don't deserve to have their constitutional rights limited because they "might" be stupid. That isn't how rights are supposed to work. It isn't up to you or I to decide that, or at least it shouldn't be. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2