It's carpenter bee season!!

enfield

No carpenter bees yet, but I did drill a yellowjacket today. .38 Spc with lizard litter & cork gasket. 2 gr AA#2

and got another this morning. 2 for 2 this year.

Edited by R_Bert

enfield, are you using a play doh wad?

Card stock.  I cut the overpowder wad with a 5/16 gasket punch and the overshot wad with a 3/8 gasket punch.  Press 'em in with the dull end of  a pencil.

• Like 1
Guest Lowbuster
Mark@sea, my wife and I went carpenter bee hunting yesterday with air soft. We went full auto with two ar's and one ak. After no telling how many rounds we totaled 14 carpenter bees, two wasps and hours of awesome fun. We had at times both of us, full auto, air soft pellets bouncing off everything around us hitting each other like rain. I've not had that much fun since I was a kid. My wife says she wished she recorded us because we looked like kids, and was happy and stress free for that time.
As sick as my wife has been the past few weeks, I was glad to see her smiling and laughing for as long as she had the energy. It wore her out but she loved it as well.

I want to add as well I'm glad I've trained a lot and Mark too. In the hours we did this, feet from each other, we never grazed each other. I noticed Marks training was impressive how he Maneuvered around us, and even manipulated corners with an adult toy.

We will continue our wrath today and keep you posted.
Guest theconstitutionrocks

Yellow Jackets...ugh...I despise those things. Once I find a ground nest (hopefully not by accident) I wait until about o dark 0230 and then unload two full cans of wasp spray into it...genocide.

Guest Broomhead

got 5 in the bee trap and 1 with the air rifle. It was a good day for me.

Pray tell, what kind of traps are you using? Are there any DIY ones that work?

Y'all are lightweights.

Couple years ago when I rebuilt my barn, there were tons of them in the 60 year old oak beams and supports. Got me some Bayer Ant & Carpenter bee concentrate, sprayed it in every hole I could find (knocking on the ẃood helps to piss them off) and killed literally several hundred of those bastards.

This year, I have seen maybe 40-50 of them around the place and unless they are near the barn, I leave them alone to pollinate the flowers.

BTW, a badmitton racket works great too.

Our porch is 60 feet long.. do you know how many of these things congregate and fight over who crawls into what hole?..

One of our dogs tried to catch them but doesnt even make a dent into the population right now...

and apparently.. when you hit them with your hand and they bounce onto the siding and then onto the floor.. it doesnt hurt them at all... lol

I've killed 2 wasps in the last week ... one with my keys, the other with an altoids can.

I really hate wasps ... anything nearby becomes a weapon when I encounter one LOL

When I was 16 I shot one with a single shot 12ga. I was out in my yard "shooting stuff" for fun and a red wasp was harrassing me, it landed right on the muzzle of my Sears Ted Williams single and even climbed partway down the barrell, I just cocked the hammer then turned it into molecules. I hate wasps also, worth a cheap skeet load.  :)

Edited by K191145

Is there some kind of bait inside?  What makes them enter?
Cherokee Slim

No bait, they will go in the hole looking for a place to lay eggs. When they get inside they find out it is not suitable for them so the fly toward the light (glass container) and get stuck in there. The jar is to slick for them to climb and because of the shape of the jar they can not fly out.
My son and I nailed 7 of them yesterday, barehanded! Apparently they don't see so well above themselves. A swift down shot to knock them out of the air, followed by a good stomp,seems to work well. Of course, if anyone is watching you, they will think you are afflicted!

Just realized I don't have a shell holder for .38/.357, so its gotta be 9mm for me.

What's the least amount of powder you guys have used? I want to leave maximum room for grits and lizard litter. 

Using cork gasket material over powder wad, and either card stock/glue or cork gasket over shot.