TGO Pro Tech Group Buy

Question: What makes this knife worth spending that much for it? I understand quality is not usually associated with low price, but what makes this knife better than something like a $100 Benchmade or Spyderco? To illustrate my point, I can easily explain to someone the difference between a Glock and a Sig and explain the price difference. I don't mind spending more if the value is really there, but I don't know the knife world like I do firearms. I want a carry knife that I can use, not something to put in a drawer and look at occasionally. The customization is nice, but outside of our little microcosm here, it won't have any significance, so I see this as a tool, and I want a high quality tool (thus why I was originally hoping for that other model).

I guess that was the long way of asking this: What am I gaining by spending more for this knife than another, especially since I plan to use it on a regular basis?
I'll let someone more versed in Pro Tech answer but I will throw in that EDC is a Benchmade Presidio Tanto. It's an awesome knife with quality steel blade that had lasted many years and hold an edge for a long time. I paid $165 for it on sale. Quality steel on a quality handle/scales and then you add in the fast auto action. I find the value at that price easy to spot
  • Like 1

"I guess that was the long way of asking this: What am I gaining by spending more for this knife than another, especially since I plan to use it on a regular basis?"

It all comes down to what you want, I like knives. This will be the most I have ever spent on a knife and it will be what I call a dress knife. My dress knives never see work because if I need to take a hammer to my blade to get the job done it happens. This isn't the model I wanted but I still want this knife. From your post I don't think you would gain anything. On the other hand I gain something I want :woohoo: .

Joe W.

P.S. If I only bought what I needed I wouldn't have crap to play with. 

I have 4 safe Queens, three were Father Day gifts, and the forth is a Samson boot knife my Wife gave me for Christmas 25 years ago (I keep the finger print off of it).

Edited by bronco302
I've never owned a Pro Tech. Better is a matter of preference. Some people prefer auto knives, some prefer flippers, others folders, and many prefer fixed. This is an auto knife if I am not mistaken. Auto knives are generally expensive. (At least partly, in my opinion because they are regulated/restricted ) Benchmade may make $100 knives, but their autos are much more. This will ultimately come down to your knife preference and value perspective. And the group buy knives have a very generous discount on them too. As the saying goes, to each their own. Sent from somewhere in the cosmos using magic...and bacon.

Question: What makes this knife worth spending that much for it? I understand quality is not usually associated with low price, but what makes this knife better than something like a $100 Benchmade or Spyderco? To illustrate my point, I can easily explain to someone the difference between a Glock and a Sig and explain the price difference. I don't mind spending more if the value is really there, but I don't know the knife world like I do firearms. I want a carry knife that I can use, not something to put in a drawer and look at occasionally. The customization is nice, but outside of our little microcosm here, it won't have any significance, so I see this as a tool, and I want a high quality tool (thus why I was originally hoping for that other model).
I guess that was the long way of asking this: What am I gaining by spending more for this knife than another, especially since I plan to use it on a regular basis?

My Answer,

The Action on every Pro Tech knife is faster, stronger and better than any other automatic knife I have owned. The fit and finish of these knives is better than any other knife in this price range.The balance of this model is absolutely perfect, out of the box the Sharpest knives I have owned, Pro Tech make all of there knives in the USA and stand behind their product they are a family ran Business and take an extreme amount of pride in craftsmanship if these things do not matter to you than it will not be worth it to you, when you consider all of these things and that the retail price on this knife is $280.00 they sell for over $200.00 plus shipping and are always sold out.
When you consider all of these things, this is a great deal!

I will be using and carrying my knife, I am buying a few as Christmas presents if we meet the minimum and I assure you they will be carried Edited by willis68

Yeah.  I hope everyone involved in this understands that ProTech makes a hard use knife.  We are getting one of their newest workhorse models with laser etching on it.  The laser etch won't wear off easily and the rest of the knife will have no problem standing up to the abuse of daily use.  Just because it has a number on it, doesn't make it a safe queen.  

Also, DONT USE KNIVES (esp folders) FOR PRYING!  As many small pry bars that are available on the market today for next to nothing, there is no excuse for this.  Its like using a pistol for a hammer and then complaining that it has dents, dings, or cracks in it. 

• Like 1
[quote name="Capbyrd" post="1139346" timestamp="1397652978"] Also, DONT USE KNIVES (esp folders) FOR PRYING! As many small pry bars that are available on the market today for next to nothing, there is no excuse for this. Its like using a pistol for a hammer and then complaining that it has dents, dings, or cracks in it. [/quote] Haha, and just a few hours ago I was using my Gerber folder for a pry bar. Meh, they're $25 and I buy one about once a year. I promise not to do it with the pro tech. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
I use my "knife" as a knife, screwdriver, hammer, prybar, and probably other things i cant remember right now. Its a tool and if its in my hand it gets used as whatever tool i need at the time. However, if i uae it as such, you wont hear me complaining about cosmetic imperfections.

I use my "knife" as a knife, screwdriver, hammer, prybar, and probably other things i cant remember right now. Its a tool and if its in my hand it gets used as whatever tool i need at the time. However, if i uae it as such, you wont hear me complaining about cosmetic imperfections.

This, but you left out chisel.

My Answer,
The Action on every Pro Tech knife is faster, stronger and better than any other automatic knife I have owned. The fit and finish of these knives is better than any other knife in this price range.The balance of this model is absolutely perfect, out of the box the Sharpest knives I have owned, Pro Tech make all of there knives in the USA and stand behind their product they are a family ran Business and take an extreme amount of pride in craftsmanship if these things do not matter to you than it will not be worth it to you, when you consider all of these things and that the retail price on this knife is $280.00 they sell for over $200.00 plus shipping and are always sold out.
When you consider all of these things, this is a great deal!
I will be using and carrying my knife, I am buying a few as Christmas presents if we meet the minimum and I assure you they will be carried

Ok, I can appreciate that. I know a wee bit about knives, but had never heard of this company before. Like I said, I don't mind paying more as long as I am really getting more for my money rather than paying for a name (I buy Wrangler jeans and not Levi's because they fit better and hold up just as well for half the cost, but I will spend more to buy a Sig over others without batting an eye because I think it's worth it). I want a solid carry blade that will last a long time and I certainly appreciate a finely crafted product made by an American small business, much like the Seecamp I own.
  • Like 1

Ok, I can appreciate that. I know a wee bit about knives, but had never heard of this company before. Like I said, I don't mind paying more as long as I am really getting more for my money rather than paying for a name (I buy Wrangler jeans and not Levi's because they fit better and hold up just as well for half the cost, but I will spend more to buy a Sig over others without batting an eye because I think it's worth it). I want a solid carry blade that will last a long time and I certainly appreciate a finely crafted product made by an American small business, much like the Seecamp I own.

As with your opinion on Sigs Vs. Glocks you and I think alike, you will love this knife and will immediately see after 5 minutes of holding it and opening it that you got one heck of a great deal!
  • Like 1

This is such a good deal it's mind boggling.

I told the guys on another forum about this, they charged $250.00 for theirs, and sold nearly 400

You all seriously don't know what a great deal I got for you on these Edited by willis68
  • Like 3

So what are some safe use for a pricy knife like this without ruining it? Also what method of sharpening is recommended?

If you use it like a knife is meant to be used it will last forever and look great. The knife is coated in Ion-bond, DLC

As far as sharpening it the Spyderco Sharp maker does the trick for all of my Pro Tech knives.
[quote name="willis68" post="1139676" timestamp="1397700900"]I told the guys on another forum about this, they charged $250.00 for theirs, and sold nearly 400 You all seriously don't know what a great deal I got for you on these[/quote] I appreciate your hard work on this and I'm looking forward to owning this knife.
  • Like 1

I prefer the wicked edge but its also a huge jump in price.

That can (and has been) a long thread :). They will both put a perfect mirror edge on most knives. I added 2000, 4000, and 8000 grit Shapton stones to my Apex to get rid of those crappy tapes.