Got a new gun this past week

bersaguy

Well, Bit the bullet so to say and bought myself a pocket pistol. Picked up a Ruger 380 LCP. Took it to the range today and all I can say is for such a small gun it's a hand full when the hammer drops........ :rofl:

Put 3 magazine loads through it and I will say. This is not a gun you visit the range with very often.... :ugh: It is fun kinda but you better stay on your toes when you pull the trigger and hold on tight with big hands.  Not sure I will own it long. Thing is for what the gun is designed to do it is perfect I guess. Guess I will have to give it some real thought.................jmho  

Edited by bersaguy
I like the 32 in a little pocket gun. It's not the stoutest round by any means, but I'm fairly confident that no one want to volunteer to get shot with it. :D

Very manageable recoil out of my P32. It would be fun to shoot even, if it weren't so small and such a low capacity. I've thought about getting a 380 but for anything bigger I'd rather have a 9mm and in the pocket gun world, well, I like the 32.

Some of the hotter loads aren't too bad, I load mine with semi flat FMJ ball and worry not about over penetration or expansion. Shot placement will be key, period. Of course that just my line of thought, YMMV and probably will.
  • Like 2

I've had an LCP for about 3 years. Probably fired 250-300 rounds thru it. Not at the same time though. But I got to liking it for carry on a belt slide, so I try to shoot a mag thru it at each range session just to keep familiar with it. 

I didn't really think too highly of it at first, but it's grown on me. I keep it loaded with the hottest ball ammo I can find, for penetration of course.

Like TrickyNicky, I had the P32 first and really liked it, but for some stupid reason, I sold it.

• Like 1
I wanted a LCP back when the little .380's were so popular. I had gotten my wife a Bersa Thunder .380, though and had a devil of a time finding ammo. So, I got the P32 instead and haven't been disappointed. I've been carrying it as a back up for almost 6 years. As much as I love it, I still have always wanted an LCP too.
  • Administrator

Just keep in mind that the LCP is not really intended to be a "range gun" any more than a J-Frame revolver is.  The idea of this gun, like the J-Frame, is that it is a firearm you'd employ at conversation distances.  Or as a friend once put it, it is a get the f**** off me gun.

In such scenarios, you'd be jacked up on enough adrenaline that you would never notice the recoil.

• Like 1

Well, like hipower said, I think this little gun will grow on me and probably remain with me. I have a buddy that has Kel-tec 32 Caliber he carries for back up and he likes it but he did mention the other day that he has been having a little difficulty locating 32 ammo. He is buying it when he sees it and I bought him a box and my granddaughter in law a box because she carries a Cobra 32 in her purse and her hubby was also having problem finding it. I spoke witha  few store owners about it and they said that because many companies have or are thinking about discontinung the manufacture of that caliber they figure the ammo companies will not be producing as much of it. Whats ya'lls thought on that?..........jmho

I've had an LCP for about 3 years. Probably fired 250-300 rounds thru it. Not at the same time though. But I got to liking it for carry on a belt slide, so I try to shoot a mag thru it at each range session just to keep familiar with it. 

I didn't really think too highly of it at first, but it's grown on me. I keep it loaded with the hottest ball ammo I can find, for penetration of course.

Like TrickyNicky, I had the P32 first and really liked it, but for some stupid reason, I sold it.

hipower,  at present time the hottest 380 ball ammo I have found is Fiocchi and that was what I was shooting in the LCP. It seems to be a little hotter than PMC that I have been shooting.............jmho

I've had my LCP for over a year but only shot it enough to convince myself it would go bang every time I pull the trigger.  I could never say that about my AMT .380.  I was disappointed at my shooting ability with it, but will work as a "get off me" gun.  It gets carried at times I would otherwise be unarmed.

I have seen some 32acp lately, I still had my p32 when I found two boxes of Fiocchi 7.65 Browning for $13.99/50. I knew I would probably never take it to the range again but new I should grab both boxes anyway. I ended selling the p32 about two months later.

Word of caution, Ruger does not recommend hot ammo out of the LCP. I have had the take down pin back out while firing some hot stuff.

I have a Keltec 380 which is about the same as the LCP for when I need a really small gun. It's a bit snappy but I bought a 9 round magazine and it gives a lot more control and makes it more fun to shoot. I can still pocket carry with the 9 rounder and draw just as well as with a 6 round mag. If I have a really small pocket I would use the 6 round and carry the 9 as an extra. So far I haven't had to resort to that.

hipower,  at present time the hottest 380 ball ammo I have found is Fiocchi and that was what I was shooting in the LCP. It seems to be a little hotter than PMC that I have been shooting.............jmho

Hmmm. I'll have to check, I've been loading the 90 grain PMC and some old 95 grain FMJ, aluminum case Blazer. Probably need to research specs on them.

Right now I have the gun loaded with PMC because i have not opened ammo safe for some time and that is what is in my Range bag so that is what I loaded it with. Might not load any Fiocchi in it now. Fiocchi is about the hottest 380 ammo I have ever found. I can tell a difference in it in both of my Bersa's and my Llama and any other 380 ammo.

That's the great thing about those micro 380s that's so appealing to me. They are so easy to grab and go. I've been going back and forth on getting an lcp or tcp or some other brand to pocket carry or put in my bike bag or what ever. I have a bodyguard .38 j frame but it's just too bulky to pocket carry, for me anyway. Plus it won't cite in my bike bag for when the family goes riding. I don't really like to holster carry or iwb cause I have to mess around with belt sizes and pant sizes. The 38 is good for the winter months but not for summer.

Kel-tec pf9 is the smallest 9mm I can find, but it is almost too big to pocket carry, for me. I like the idea of having a small 9 because I wouldn't have to buy different ammo, I can use what I'm already into. I guess in the end I'm gonna do what the others have done and just get the lcp. Been waiting on the beretta pico to come out for ever it seems but nothing in sight. Edited by LowBb

That's the great thing about those micro 380s that's so appealing to me. They are so easy to grab and go. I've been going back and forth on getting an lcp or tcp or some other brand to pocket carry or put in my bike bag or what ever. I have a bodyguard .38 j frame but it's just too bulky to pocket carry, for me anyway. Plus it won't cite in my bike bag for when the family goes riding. I don't really like to holster carry or iwb cause I have to mess around with belt sizes and pant sizes. The 38 is good for the winter months but not for summer.

Kel-tec pf9 is the smallest 9mm I can find, but it is almost too big to pocket carry, for me. I like the idea of having a small 9 because I wouldn't have to buy different ammo, I can use what I'm already into. I guess in the end I'm gonna do what the others have done and just get the lcp. Been waiting on the beretta pico to come out for ever it seems but nothing in sight.

There is also the Kahr PM9/CM9 and then the Rohrbaugh R9, budget depending.

I like the 32 in a little pocket gun. It's not the stoutest round by any means, but I'm fairly confident that no one want to volunteer to get shot with it. :D

Very manageable recoil out of my P32. It would be fun to shoot even, if it weren't so small and such a low capacity. I've thought about getting a 380 but for anything bigger I'd rather have a 9mm and in the pocket gun world, well, I like the 32.

Some of the hotter loads aren't too bad, I load mine with semi flat FMJ ball and worry not about over penetration or expansion. Shot placement will be key, period. Of course that just my line of thought, YMMV and probably will.

You may or may not know that Kel Tec sells 10 round mags for the P32.  They also have a 9 rounder for the P3AT which is pretty much the same setup.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/p-32-and-p-3at/p-32-accessories/p32-37-10rd-magazine/

I have one of the 9 rounders for my P3AT and mom has a 10 rounder for her P32.  Obviously they would kind of negate the ease of pocket carry with either one but they make good backup mags.  They also are nice for punching paper as they give the little guys a full grip and a higher capacity.

Well, Bit the bullet so to say and bought myself a pocket pistol. Picked up a Ruger 380 LCP. Took it to the range today and all I can say is for such a small gun it's a hand full when the hammer drops........ :rofl:

Put 3 magazine loads through it and I will say. This is not a gun you visit the range with very often.... :ugh: It is fun kinda but you better stay on your toes when you pull the trigger and hold on tight with big hands.  Not sure I will own it long. Thing is for what the gun is designed to do it is perfect I guess. Guess I will have to give it some real thought.................jmho  

My 'pocket rocket' LCP goes with me, in my pocket quite often! Kicks like a mule!!!

I LOVE it!!!!!   :woohoo:

We have an LCP my wife carries pretty regularly and I carry on occasion. To say it's not my favorite would be an understatement. The wife handles it just fine. I suppose my hands are a little big or something, but the beaver tail absolutely wears my lowest thumb knuckle out. I despise shooting the thing. I guess for what it is it's pretty good, but I won't act like I don't have constant thoughts of selling it Edited by KKing