anybody else love cajun and creole food?

BigK

Guest t.bird

Raz'z is great!  We had a conversation with Raz last time we were in, super nice guy.  Thanked us several times for coming in.

Edited by t.bird

Cajun steamer in brentwood is pretty good too.

I'll second that. Great food. 

Love me some cajun and creole food.  Papa Boudreaux in Franklin is really good.  Will have to try Razz in Smyrna.

I keep hearing that about Boudreaux. I will have to try both of these.

So, we need to know about it when we've got Restaurant owners on TGO.

You've got to spend your money somewhere.  I'd just assume support someone I know.

I am going on a three day motorcycle ride at the end of this week. I plan on stopping by Razz's on the way back into town. Can't think of a better way to end a trip than eating great food with like-minded folks.

I guess I assumed the TGO Razz is the same Razz that owns the restaurant. If not, I made quite a fool of myself Saturday when I introduced myself as BigK from TGO. If so, at least he was nice enough to smile and nod his head like he knew what I meant. LOL

• Like 2

So, we need to know about it when we've got restaurant owners on TGO.

You've got to spend your money somewhere.  I'd just assume support someone I know.

Ditto, I eat out a lot and would love to spend some $$$ with a TGOer.

I don't know of any Cajun/Creole restaurants in the Knoxville area.  The fellow who used to own Small's Drive-In in Athens was from Louisiana and, although it wasn't really a Cajun restaurant, he did do a few things with a Cajun flair (like a burger po-boy on which the burger was, apparently, a blend of ground beef and andouille.)  He has since sold the place and moved back to Louisiana.  His sister in law owned a restaurant in Etowah and she did serve some Cajun type stuff (really good, spicy, fried crawfish tails and a really good roast beef po' boy) but that place is closed, now.  I actually wonder if they all moved back to Louisiana at the same time.

Back in the '90s there was a place called King Creole's in the Old City in Knoxville.  They had a lunch buffet but that place wasn't around very long.  That is a pity because I only ever got to eat there once and the food was really good.  There was another New Orleans themed restaurant in the Old City for a while that was called The Big Easy but it always looked a bit too formal for what I wanted in a Cajun restaurant.

Finally, there was a little hole in the wall Cajun restaurant in the Lonsdale/Mechanicsville area of Knoxville for a short time.  I can't even remember what it was called and, again, only got to eat there one time but it was really good.  The owner was also the cook and he had home-made boudin using his grandmother's recipe.  I never would have thought that pork liver sausage could be that good.

I'll have to stop by and say hi. I have a love hate relationship with Cajun food. I don't like much for seafood so its tough. On the rate occasion I can find gumbo with sausage and chicken it is one of my favorite things.

I like some seafood but mostly I like it blackened/grilled or battered and fried.  Seafood gumbo is not my favorite but cajun blackened seafood can be really good.  I also prefer chicken and sausage gumbo to the seafood version.  I saw a show once that talked about the differences in Creole and Cajun and that focused a lot on the food.  Basically, they (and the 'they' included some actual Creoles and Cajuns) said that Creole refers more to people who live in the cities while Cajuns are generally the more rural, rustic people, such as those who live in the bayou.  Along those lines, they said that seafood gumbo is more of a Cajun thing while the chicken and sausage version is a Creole dish.

Edited by JAB
Guest kingarmory

I cook my own, as much as the wife hates spicy food even she likes it.  Jambalaya, gumbo, creole fried chicken, slow-bake cornbread, maque choux, etoufee, mudbugs, whatever, its always a menu option around here

We had a crawfish boil this weekend. My best friend is from Louisiana so we have at least a couple a year. Its always a big event. I will have to try Razz. I was just in Smyrna yesterday. Met a really nice police officer that was nice enough to not give me a ticket when I was speeding on Florence road I think? Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2