Typical fps on 55fmj out of AR w 16" bbl.?

Working up a load with some WC844 currently I'm at 25gr. At about 2750fps. Really nice grouping better than any of the other loads I've tried. Got about another 100 fps at 26 but didn't seem to group as well.

The 25gr load made right at 3000 fps out of my 20" upper. The 25 functions well. 26 may be .5 gr from max though no overpressure signs on any of the 26gr loads. So should I call it a day and settle for 2750fps with a good group?

Fired some 62 gr factory reloads out the 16" and they clocked 2850+. Edited by seez52
I don't even clock my hand loads until I've got the accuracy nailed down. I haven't finished working up my 55g load, but I'm running 2685 fps with 65g bullets out of a 20" barrel AR using 24.5g of varget. It'll do .75 inch 15 shot groups at 100 yards, when the Neanderthal behind the trigger remembers to take his time. Accuracy is more important than fps. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

That's what I'm leaning toward. I think I'm going to load up another batch and make sure it groups as it did yesterday before cranking out a boat load. Just for fun I ran a couple of varmint loads I developed a year or so ago to see how fast they were. The velocity was lower than I expected, but they have been great for taking yotes.

I really like 25gr of 844 behind 55gr bullets, seems to be a sweet spot through my 16" barreled rifle. Speed was somewhere between 2,750 and 2,850fps but it's been a while and I can't remember for sure.

Edited by Luke E.

Load to what functions and what is accurate. Those who try to load to max FPS are often rewarded with miserable accuracy.

With that being said a 55 grain load should be north of 3,000 fps.

With 2230 I get 3070 fps out of a 16" chrome lined 5.56 barrel.  It was too warm in a 223 boltgun.

Guest theconstitutionrocks

Still remember my basic training stats...M193 ball M16A1 1:9 twist 3250 fps

Lightweight gas operated magazine fed shoulder fired weapon capable of semi-automatic or automatic fire through the use of a selector switch. Sustained rate of fire 12-15 rnds/min, rapid 100-150 rnds/min, cyclic 700-800 rnds/min

:cool: