18" or 20" SS 223 Wylde Barrel in AR build?

lshel

I'm wanting to built a longer range AR in 18" or 20" SS barrel either mid-length gas block or rifle length. I assume if mid-length you would use a carbine buffer and spring and the rifle length a rifle buffer and spring, any difference in buffer tube? Who produces a reasonable priced 18" or 20" 223 Wylde SS barrel? I have found some from Rainer Arms, Odin works, AR Stoner, and White Oak Arament $270-$290 range. Is there a good barrel cheaper? I'm going to use a Spike's Tactical upper/lower forged receiver, PSA LPK, PSA buffer tube assembly, Aims NIB V2 BCG.

Edited by lshel

I have the 18" AR Stoner barrel (fluted, black teflon coated) from Midway and am very pleased with it....as in sub moa accuracy with Wolf Gold.  I really don't know that you'll find one much cheaper in .223 Wylde.  If there was I would have bought it as I can be notoriously cheap.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

I have the 18" AR Stoner barrel (fluted, black teflon coated) from Midway and am very pleased with it....as in sub moa accuracy with Wolf Gold.  I really don't know that you'll find one much cheaper in .223 Wylde.  If there was I would have bought it as I can be notoriously cheap.

My sentiment is the same with my AR Stoner 20". Mines not Teflon coated but the SS version. 223. Wylde, 1/8 twist, 5R rifling. A lot of bang for the buck, pun gleefully intended.

I haven't taken mine out to test MOA accuracy, but it groups VERY well just off the bench messing around. I would be surprised if my results vary too much from Garufas.
If I had to do it over again I would. If there was an even cheaper alternative I'd look into it as well, but I'd at least want comparable specs personally.
Aim Surplus has some Odin Works barrels. They're about the same price as the AR Stoner, though.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=816&name=ODIN+Works+Stainless+Steel+Barrels

I just bought the DMR 18" with rifle length gas port. Haven't shot it yet, but it looks good.

The gas system length has nothing to do with rifle or carbine buffer, spring and tube. That will depend on which stock you want to use. And yes, the buffer tubes are different. Edited by Clod Stomper

Does the 223 Wylde barrel chamber justify for increased accuracy the price over a regular 5.56 chamber? Is the DPMS 18" and 20" 5.56 SS barrels any good, especially for accuracy?

Bag, I've gotten myself all confused, I'll let someone more knowledgable speak on the accuracy.

Is it worth paying extra for? Up to you, I wasn't going to worry about it and was going to just go 5.56 then when I found the AR Stoner and it had everything I wanted in a barrel plus the Wylde chambering, I said I guess I'm going 223 Wylde!

What is 223 wylde anyways?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.223_Wylde Edited by TrickyNicky

I just bought an AR Performance 20" barrel for my TGO receiver set.

"223 Wylde chamber  4150 CMV  8 twist  5R.
M4 feed ramps, rifle length gas system, .750 gas block--NOTE these barrels have a 5/8-24 muzzle thread.
Melonite treated barrels have proven to near twice as long as stainless barrels and are just as  accurate. 

A .223 Wylde will handle full strength 5.56 military loads."

http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/11562/12239

I don't have it put together yet, but I have had a 6.8SPC upper with one of their barrels that was very accurate (which is why I bought one of their 5.56 barrels).