Who else is getting numerous phone calls about health care?

daddyo

Last Friday we got no less than 62 phone calls on our home phone claiming that we went online and requested information about healthcare. My wife said that at one point the phone was ringing about every two minutes. This is obviously a phishing scam, but I want to know how to put a stop to it. Until then, I have turned all the ringers off as well as the answering machine.

Anyone else having this problem?

Edited by daddyo
Not having a home phone has a few advantages.

I get them at work all the time though, my favorites are "The FBI reports that every 15 seconds a home..." And even more than that "Hi this is Travis from Comcast and I'm following up on a request that someone there made for more information about our services." I haven't gotten one since the last time "Travis" called and I basically questioned his manhood trying to not only work a scam over on people, but not even a good scam at that.

If you want the calls to stop, do whatever you have to do to get through to alive human, EVERY time they call and waste as much of their time as possible. It's not a great use of your time, but it will help make you feel better and it must work , Google hasn't called in weeks.

I enjoy talking to telemarketers, I am full of all kinds of questions about whatever. A friends two year old that comes over really enjoys chatting it up.

Id probably quote the Hip-pa act if asked about healthcare. Or maybe about the bump on my rear, depends on my mood.

Enjoy!

Last Friday we got no less than 62 phone calls on our home phone claiming that we went online and requested information about healthcare. My wife said that at one point the phone was ringing about every two minutes. This is obviously a phishing scam, but I want to know how to put a stop to it. Until then, I have turned all the ringers off as well as the answering machine.

Anyone else having this problem?

There is a wire running from your house to the poles on the street. Lop that sucker in half with your trusty sword. That's how I stopped all my spam calls.

• Like 3

I don't answer the phone (landline, I don't own a cell) when it rings.  You leave a message, if I want to talk to you I return the call. I almost never do.  Joining all the "no-call" lists helps, if I ever get the kind of harassment the OP talked about I would just unplug the phones for a few days. 

• Like 1

There are a bunch of people sitting at home in Southeast Asia that don’t give a rats azz about your “do not call list”.  The American company that is financing them sent them all your phone number at the same time. Once they get their database over there straightened out you will probably only get one or two calls a day.
biggrin.gif

BTW.... I think Obama did away with the DNCL by Executive order. You know.... Obama Care and all.

There are a bunch of people sitting at home in Southeast Asia that don’t give a rats azz about your “do not call list”.  The American company that is financing them sent them all your phone number at the same time. Once they get their database over there straightened out you will probably only get one or two calls a day.
biggrin.gif

BTW.... I think Obama did away with the DNCL by Executive order. You know.... Obama Care and all.

Not a problem.  I'm not home during the day, and I don't answer when I am home.  If it gets worrisome, I will turn the ringers off.

back 18 years ago when I moved here I was trying to make a decision on whether to get a house phone or a cell phone. I was only going to get one or the other. Well I was on my way to sore to get some groceries and truck broke down. I had to walk about 3  miles to a pay phone to call a friend. That was the deciding factor. I can make calls from a cell phone from home but can't call for help when broke down on the side of the road and get help with home phone. So I have one phone and seldom if ever get a spam call. Wrong number about 1 time every couple months. Will never have another home phone...............jmho

• Like 2

Since we have dial-up internet, usually the phone line ain't open. On the off chance it is... one day we got a phone call from some goofus outfit, I forget what, and my dad of all people answered the phone. I was outside, all I heard was "WHO? ...SHUT UP, GO TO HELL" and then the phone slamming... hah... that's how you handle telemarketers and other goofball groups you don't want part of. Or just get a really loud, high-pitched whistle and stick it right up to the phone speaker... gah.

i put on my best foreign accent and wear them out if i have time.use phrases like en shallah after everything they say, when they ask for a name i tell them my name is mike hunt or mai ballsert. ask em if they watch sesame street, what their favorite movies are,and always end it getting very angry asking to spick w stupidvisor.....i gave up on fighting it, so i have fun with it instead. one day i heard one of the kids singing the ooh eee oooh ahh aah song from alvin and the chipmunks over the phone. when i found out it they were messing w  some guy collecting money for the firefighters assn ( scam) i was hysterical........gotta love telemarketers

I zapped land line maybe 5 years ago, although about 6 months ago I got the VOIP service with Comcast, only because I got a better deal by taking one of the ever evolving bundle deals with phone.

I put a vintage ATT phone on it for the hell of it and got first call within 5 minutes of activating service. Rang 10-15 times per day. I picked up on them for awhile out of curiosity, and found that at least some of them were because whoever had that number before was the target, but I guess lots were just random too.

Most obviously robo dialed too, as I seldom actually get a message recorded, I guess something in that process triggers a give up response on their systems.

Anyway, cut ringer off, and I think the only time I've actually used it is to find my cellphone when I hide it from myself particularly well a time or two a month. :)

- OS

This reminds me of my Mother. Lost her several years back but I thought this was funny. My Mother could speak about three foreign languages quit well and one of them was Japanese. She learned it as a young girl when she went to work as a dishwasher in a Japanese  Restaurant. The main words she picked up all was all the curse words the cooks would spout out when they got mad. I was over at her house one evening when a telemarketer called and she answered the phone and said a few quaint words in Japanese and as she hung the phone up she said, Huh, don't guess they wanted to talk. She had caller ID and looked at it, it said unknown on it before she answered it. My brother said she does that all the time and I said well, it seems to work............. :rofl: :rofl:

We get them in spurts but when we do it is all day long. Different numbers but the same recording.

My wife waited til after the recording one day to let them know we were on the no call list. That seemed to have made things worse. We get more now.

Three things.

1- Do Not Call lists are a joke.

2- Do not push any button to 'remove your number' it seems to add your number.

3- Do not waste time talking to anyone as it seems to do nothing or encourage more calls.