Memphis in June

Hotrod

• Moderators
Folks rave about the Germantown Commissary but I was not impressed either time I went. It's still good, but far from the best. BBQ Shop, Interstate and Central all serve a better 'cue. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 1
[quote name="jacob" post="1138745" timestamp="1397530806"]Rendezvous is highly overrated IMHO...the novelty value of restaurant is ok...but the BBQ is no better than the "fast food " variants...[/quote] Corky's is the same to me. Their food tastes no better than their frozen stuff they have at the grocery store.
  • Like 2
[quote name="EMTRN" post="1138804" timestamp="1397543710"]Central is great. If you want to eat good BBQ for the same price as McDonalds, Tops is actually a good choice![/quote] Yep, Tops BBQ is another good one. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Central is my favorite.  BBQ Shop is up there.  But BBQ shop is a mustard based sauce which isn't my thing.  

Tom's is great but again, mustard based.  However, they have the best fried bologna sandwich.  

Corky's is good occasionally.  My best experiences there are during their little wednesday lunch buffet.  And the sausage is really good.  

Rendezvous is a bit of a gimmick.  

Rendezvous for ribs (tell them you are a AAA member and you get free meat and cheese plate, sometimes they ask for the card).  Also make sure you have a few ghost rivers if you like beer.

Central BBQ for pulled pork

A side note, a neat little lunch spot is "Lunchbox Eats".  I had a turducken sammich there.  Pretty good stuff.

Edited by ls3_kid
  • Moderators
[quote name="Ted S." post="1139041" timestamp="1397589214"]I went there with my family a couple years ago. Best food I ate while there at Marlowe's, but we didn't go to any other BBQ joint, so I have no other place to compare it with in the area.[/quote] You must've gone to Graceland.

You must've gone to Graceland.

Mom is the biggest Elvis fan of all time. Just like all the other Elvis fans.

Graceland was neat, but too standardized of an experience for me to go again.

Edited by Ted S.
In no particular order: Cozy Corner Neely's Interstate BBQ Memphis BBQ in Southaven, MS One and Only BBQ Corky's That being said, I think we have it pretty good when it comes to having good barbecue. We probably have pretty high standards for that reason. Those folks in Kansas City just think they know how to BBQ. :)
  • Like 4