Speaking of Park Carry - Knoxville

But for Haslam's pet House committee, we'd have had that and open carry both this year.

- OS

Don't forget, Madam Speaker is involved as well, it is not just a Haslam thing, the Three Amigos (Haslam. Harwell and Ramsey) are all in bed on all this (eww, that sounds nasty).

• Moderators
[quote name="Worriedman" post="1139272" timestamp="1397618158"]Don't forget, Madam Speaker is involved as well, it is not just a Haslam thing, the Three Amigos (Haslam. Harwell and Ramsey) are all in bed on all this (eww, that sounds nasty).[/quote] I did not need that mental image you jerk! :lol: Edited by Chucktshoes
Guest Shooter00
I've got a question here on the wording in the bill on paragraph 2.
Does this statement not exempt Knoxville from having to change anything in their present regulations ?

"however, this bill does not delete the "present law authorization" for local governments to prohibit handgun possession in local parks."

Erik, FL has "dangerous weapons" or at least knives tied to carry permit in one way or other, right? Something like permit lets you carry any type or length, but without permit limited to size and no switchblade, something like that?

- OS

I think so. It's a concealed weapon permit not a concealed gun permit. And strangely it's illegal to carry certain pepper spray without a permit.

Does this statement not exempt Knoxville from having to change anything in their present regulations ?

"however, this bill does not delete the "present law authorization" for local governments to prohibit handgun possession in local parks."

I think that means it doesn't strike down the current STATE law on parks. Although, it really only matters what's actually in the text of the law, not what they say it means. We've seen laws (like last year's safe commute law) recently that they say it does one thing, and the actual text says something else.

Guest ProfessionalStudent

Which means they can no longer ban shooting inside the city limits, seems to me, at least as that being the crime -- can I suppose still do  noise/nuisance type stuff I  and whatnot I guess.

Air rifles don't fit under the state statue, so I guess Knoxville can still legally ban firing those, as it does now.

Anyway, I think this is going to have a bit more significance overall than people might be initially thinking.

- OS

From the page you linked, it looks to me like they adopted amendment 2 ("S. adopted am.(Amendment 2 of 0 - SA1084)04/09/2014").

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Amend/SA1084.pdf

This leaves basically the same bill, but still allows local municipalities to regulate:

1) The carrying of firearms by employees or independent contractors of

the city, county, town municipality or metropolitan government when acting in the
course and scope of their employment or contract, except as otherwise provided
in § 39-17-1313

2)The discharge of firearms within the boundaries of the applicable city,
county,town, municipality or metropolitan government, except when and where

the discharge of a firearm is expressly authorized or permitted by state law.

3)The location of a sport shooting range, except as otherwise provided

in § 39-17-316 and § 13-3-412

4)The enforcement of any state or federal law pertaining to firearms,
ammunition, or components of firearms or ammunition, or combinations thereof.

No. That simply refers to 39-17-1311. All cities and counties are still able to prohibit park carry, but only under the stipulations of the state law.

From the page you linked, it looks to me like they adopted amendment 2 ("S. adopted am.(Amendment 2 of 0 - SA1084)04/09/2014").

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Amend/SA1084.pdf

This leaves basically the same bill, but still allows local municipalities to regulate:

1) The carrying of firearms by employees or independent contractors of

the city, county, town municipality or metropolitan government when acting in the
course and scope of their employment or contract, except as otherwise provided
in § 39-17-1313

2)The discharge of firearms within the boundaries of the applicable city,
county,town, municipality or metropolitan government, except when and where

the discharge of a firearm is expressly authorized or permitted by state law.

3)The location of a sport shooting range, except as otherwise provided

in § 39-17-316 and § 13-3-412

4)The enforcement of any state or federal law pertaining to firearms,
ammunition, or components of firearms or ammunition, or combinations thereof.

Ah, thanks, I did indeed overlook that!

Yep, for sure that allows them to ban shootin' within city limits. And Knoxville indeed does ban even indoor ranges inside the city, so they can continue to do that.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

With all of the back and forth over SB1407, did it pass? If it did pass when will it be effective?

If I carry into a Knoxville park is it now legal unless it is posted?

Was HB 1407, the Senate version (SB 1496) passed 26-7, Establishment killed the House version by summarily taking the bill off notice, though Goins, (sponsor) was present and prepared to move the bill.

In my years of watching the legislature and the various bums rushes dolled out, (including Naifeh and his tribe), this is the single worst travesty I have seen visited on the firearms owners, and the legislature to be frank, ever.

Edited by Worriedman

If I carry into a Knoxville park is it now legal unless it is posted?

As for thread theme SB 1612/HB 1399 has not yet been signed, but is effective immediately "on becoming a law". I've never been clear exactly when that is? Something else official have to happen after Gov's sig?

At any rate, yes, it would seem that Knoxville will have to opt out of state parks statute and put up signage to keep park carry prohibited -- however I am not a lawyer, but pretty sure I'd tell you to re-read post 21 even if I were.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

As for thread theme SB 1612/HB 1399 has not yet been signed, but is effective immediately "on becoming a law". I've never been clear exactly when that is? Something else official have to happen after Gov's sig?

No. When the Gov signs it becomes a law. So the second he signs it the City of Knoxville will have opt out of Park carry. So I figure it will be legal for at least a week unless we go down and really fight the city council.