Here's An Oldie: M1889 Schmidt-Rubin Rifle

Anything manufactured before 1898 is an "antique" and not subject to FFL regulations.  No license required to purchase.  They can be sent right to your door.

Some Mosins are actually classified as antiques.  As long as the receiver was made before that year it qualifies.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Anything manufactured before 1898 is an "antique" and not subject to FFL regulations.  No license required to purchase.  They can be sent right to your door.

Some Mosins are actually classified as antiques.  As long as the receiver was made before that year it qualifies.

And with hex Mosin's, seller would have to remove the stock to verify the date on the tang. Too much trouble for most retailers. Of course SG would probably turn around and get $498 for them!

Since Swiss GP11 ammo generates pressures which are too high for these guns, are there any sources, other than hand loading modified .284W brass, currently available?

The brass is available from many sources including Grafs.  It's the same brass dimensions as the GP11.  Or, if you know someone with a K31 who has been shooting Prvi or other Boxer-primed ammo, you might sweet-talk them out of their once-fired brass.

From Sportsman's Guide of all places. Only actual functional firearm I've ever known them to offer.

How can they sell these without FFL or C&R but can't do same with Mosin? Is there a hundred year rule besides regular "antique" status or what?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/m1889-schmidt-rubin-rifle.aspx?a=1692596

I'm writing this in my calendar!  OS with a question.....usually has the answers for the rest of us.  Of course, I had no idea either.....I just thought it noteworthy that there was a piece of information that had evaded OS.  Rare info, indeed!

• Like 1

I'm writing this in my calendar!  OS with a question.....usually has the answers for the rest of us.  Of course, I had no idea either.....I just thought it noteworthy that there was a piece of information that had evaded OS.  Rare info, indeed!

:) :) I'll take the left-handed compliment, but I assure you there's plenty I don't know.

Here's just one I've been meaning to run by ATF: does a "non-firearm" receiver (such as 80% AR lower or AK flat/blank) suffice for non-culpability in a collection of parts regarding the "possessive construction" thang?

- OS