It is funny how things like one's taste in music can change over time.

mav

Outside of country and rap, I have always had a fairly diverse taste in music.  I could go from Megadeth one day to Sinatra the next, or Pink Floyd to Rimsky-Korsakov.  One would never be able to guess what I would have on the radio from one day to the other, and since I spend roughly two hours a day in my car, I listen to a decent amount of music considering talk radio has become boring.

About a month or so ago I was surfing through XM looking for something new to listen to.  I found what I was looking for, and I love it.  I have been listening to this station a lot the last month. It is Kidz Bop Radio http://kidzbop.com/.  While I really like the songs by the original artists, I like to hear the kids singing them as well.  It is sort of cheery and lifts the spirit, which I think is something that all of us need at times.  The other nice thing is that you get to hear all the hits bundled together instead of getting a bunch fluff to take up time between each hit song.

Perhaps I am just weird. Let the flaying begin. :)

• Like 1

Back when my wife was alive there was only two kinds of music. Mine and hers. Mine consisted of oldies but goodies Rock-n-Roll and hers was anything Country related.  We both had our places that we could listen to what we liked which if in my truck it was Rock n Roll and in her car it was Country so depending on what we drove would depend on which music we listened to............. :up: :up:

I know why you like Rimsky-Korsakov.  :wave:   I actually found Scheherezade performed by the Royal Philharmonic on CD several years ago.  Not quite as good as when we did it, but close.  ;)

My musical tastes are also quite varied.  Metal, jazz, folk, classic rock, bluegrass, big band, blues, classical, prog, (even some rap). 

Given today's business climate, a little spirit lifting is definitely necessary from time to time.  :up:

Outside of country and rap, I have always had a fairly diverse taste in music.  I could go from Megadeth one day to Sinatra the next, or Pink Floyd to Rimsky-Korsakov.  One would never be able to guess what I would have on the radio from one day to the other, and since I spend roughly two hours a day in my car, I listen to a decent amount of music considering talk radio has become boring.

About a month or so ago I was surfing through XM looking for something new to listen to.  I found what I was looking for, and I love it.  I have been listening to this station a lot the last month. It is Kidz Bop Radio http://kidzbop.com/.  While I really like the songs by the original artists, I like to hear the kids singing them as well.  It is sort of cheery and lifts the spirit, which I think is something that all of us need at times.  The other nice thing is that you get to hear all the hits bundled together instead of getting a bunch fluff to take up time between each hit song.

Perhaps I am just weird. Let the flaying begin. :)

Not weird at all... it just makes your avatar that much more appropriate. :D

• Like 1

I am pretty diverse as well.   I can't stand the internet music though, its generally damaged too much from poor MP3 space-saver settings and my PC speakers are not good enough for music.   I am from the CD generation,  and expect that quality sound.   The web radio stations are very nice, for the selection. 

Commercials make me mad and the Sirius has always had a poor sound quality (to me) so I would listen to the talk radio on it( which has commercials) :(, so of course I wrote that off.
I too like all types of music and lately I just hit shuffle on my I pod which has 10k + songs in all favors. Classical is best for me with no background noise though, so I do reserve that for the Bose speakers at home

Rap isn't music. :yuck:

The same could be said for anything by anyone about whatever is disliked.  

Some of the rap guys might surprise you at their depth and intellect.  The majority, not so much, but a few of them are pretty profound (as well as profane).  www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r442C0zyEM is praiseworthy whether you like the music or not.  Kid rock is a punk but he did go put on a show for our troops. 

I honestly don't care for much of it either but its not all about doing evil things and so on; just as not all metal is like the satanic zombie guy and not all country is about being a drunk.

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

I like everything except elevator opera and gangsta shoot cops rap. Ill take CCR, classic rock and southern rock 24/7 we used to abuse our kids by making em listen to 50's music in the car on long trips.....if theyd really piss us off wed play a kansas or abba CD..heh heh heh

Edited by Dustbuster

The Yo Gabba Gabba stuff is great kids music and done by a guy that did the band Devo. 

Incidentally, this Saturday April 19 is record store day. Go in and support your local record store like the Disc Exchange here in Knoxville. They, like many stores, are now carrying tons of vinyl and cd's. 

I'm like some others that have posted. These super compressed mp3's are great for space but the music sounds bad. I love cd's. And I can't figure out why anyone would want vinyl when cd's sound so good. I guess I just haven't heard vinyl's true potential. Some say it's warmer. I say cd's are why I got rid of my vinyl. 

The Yo Gabba Gabba stuff is great kids music and done by a guy that did the band Devo. 

Incidentally, this Saturday April 19 is record store day. Go in and support your local record store like the Disc Exchange here in Knoxville. They, like many stores, are now carrying tons of vinyl and cd's. 

I'm like some others that have posted. These super compressed mp3's are great for space but the music sounds bad. I love cd's. And I can't figure out why anyone would want vinyl when cd's sound so good. I guess I just haven't heard vinyl's true potential. Some say it's warmer. I say cd's are why I got rid of my vinyl.

IMO CDs sound infinitely better unless you have true audiophile equipment, and even then I would likely give the nod to a cd through similar quality equipment.

Vinyl just sounds *right* though. The pops and scratches are the way I heard some songs for the first time and the way I'll always remember them.

As for being warmer, methinks not enough people truly understand how pre/post amp setting work. Or speaker selection, or ported vs non ported cabs, etc.

Plus they weren't cool for. Awhile which made them the perfect target for hipsters. >:(
Oh and if we're airing our dirty laundry, I've got no shame. I listened to about 6 ABBA songs last night before transitioning to Iron Maiden (:Rock:) which brought me around to the beach boys. The Beach Boys took me to the Everly Bros, and from their I was on a Marty Robbins kick. From there I got side tracked listening to Zapp and Roger, which transitioned to listening to a few EazyE tunes.

"His name EazyE, he's got ******* galore you may think you have lots of ******* but he's got much more..."

I feel bad sometimes because people look at me and instantly think "metal head" and while I like me some thrash, there's a lot more going on. Hell, I'll even listen to Narco Corrido. I don't like the message or what it's about, but I love the melodies. Won't spent a dime on an album though. I could listen to regular mariachi, but the beat is different. Edited by TrickyNicky
  • Like 1

While Mark Mothersbaugh is associated with Yo Gabba Gabba, he was responsible for the music of The Rugrats not Yo Gabba Gabba. He just guests.

Christian Jacobs of the Aquabats created Yo Gabba Gabba.

It is also worth mentioning that Bowling For Soup is closely tied with Phineas and Ferb on Disney, doing not only the theme, but guest starring in several episodes.

• Like 1