It is funny how things like one's taste in music can change over time.

mav

You're right Nick. Records do sound great for what we were and what they were. I remember a buddy of mines dad had a wicked turntable set up and he prided the fact that when the needle hit the record you couldn't hear any pops. It seems like I still always heard pops though. Maybe discs were so great because it was cheaper to get great quality audio from a cheaper set up with CDs. I put myself through college working at a local record store and discs were so easy and so great sounding.

Oh and if we're airing our dirty laundry, I've got no shame. I listened to about 6 ABBA songs last night before transitioning to Iron Maiden (:Rock:) which brought me around to the beach boys. The Beach Boys took me to the Everly Bros, and from their I was on a Marty Robbins kick. From there I got side tracked listening to Zapp and Roger, which transitioned to listening to a few EazyE tunes.
"His name EazyE, he's got ******* galore you may think you have lots of ******* but he's got much more..."
I feel bad sometimes because people look at me and instantly think "metal head" and while I like me some thrash, there's a lot more going on. Hell, I'll even listen to Narco Cultare. I don't like the message or what it's about, but I love the melodies. Won't spent a dime on an album though. I could listen to regular mariachi, but the beat is different.

Man, all that music is so killer. Have you seen "smile" the Brian Wilson story that came out recently? It paints him to be a beautiful guy. Great song writer and very musically driven and thoughtful. Edited by LowBb
  • Like 1

While Mark Mothersbaugh is associated with Yo Gabba Gabba, he was responsible for the music of The Rugrats not Yo Gabba Gabba. He just guests.

Christian Jacobs of the Aquabats created Yo Gabba Gabba.

It is also worth mentioning that Bowling For Soup is closely tied with Phineas and Ferb on Disney, doing not only the theme, but guest starring in several episodes.

Whoops you're right. My wife and I had it in our heads otherwise. Man that music is so much fun.

Oh and if we're airing our dirty laundry, I've got no shame. I listened to about 6 ABBA songs last night before transitioning to Iron Maiden ( :rock:) which brought me around to the beach boys. The Beach Boys took me to the Everly Bros, and from their I was on a Marty Robbins kick. From there I got side tracked listening to Zapp and Roger, which transitioned to listening to a few EazyE tunes.

"His name EazyE, he's got ******* galore you may think you have lots of ******* but he's got much more..."

I feel bad sometimes because people look at me and instantly think "metal head" and while I like me some thrash, there's a lot more going on. Hell, I'll even listen to Narco Cultare. I don't like the message or what it's about, but I love the melodies. Won't spent a dime on an album though. I could listen to regular mariachi, but the beat is different.

I never got into Abba, but I love the Bee Gees.  Same thing with the Beach Boys.  I would say my favorite Beach Boy's song is Sloop John B.

Eazy E was always a little rough for my taste.  However, I can listen to some of the old school Grandmaster Flash, etc... stuff.  I still love The Message.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4o8TeqKhgY

You're right Nick. Records do sound great for what we were and what they were. I remember a buddy of mines dad had a wicked turntable set up and he prided the fact that when the needle hit the record you couldn't hear any pops. It seems like I still always heard pops though. Maybe discs were so great because it was cheaper to get great quality audio from a cheaper set up with CDs. I put myself through college working at a local record store and discs were so easy and so great sounding.
Man, all that music is so killer. Have you seen "smile" the Brian Wilson story that came out recently? It paints him to be a beautiful guy. Great song writer and very musically driven and thoughtful.

I've seen bits and pieces online but never the whole thing. I need to check it out though. Growing up I listened to them all the time in my moms car, it wasn't until much later that I realized Brian was the mastermind behind it all, and at such a young age to have such a sense of harmony and rhythm. Incredible.

There's a pretty good book about the early years, can't recall the name off the too of my head though.

The Yo Gabba Gabba stuff is great kids music and done by a guy that did the band Devo. 

Incidentally, this Saturday April 19 is record store day. Go in and support your local record store like the Disc Exchange here in Knoxville. They, like many stores, are now carrying tons of vinyl and cd's. 

I'm like some others that have posted. These super compressed mp3's are great for space but the music sounds bad. I love cd's. And I can't figure out why anyone would want vinyl when cd's sound so good. I guess I just haven't heard vinyl's true potential. Some say it's warmer. I say cd's are why I got rid of my vinyl. 

Removable physical media is dead. FLAC FTW.

I recently realised I've been spending way too many years listening to music through earbuds and car speakers and bought a fairly nice consumer-level unit for the house and some halfway decent shelf speakers and it's a nice to be able to actually feel the music again. Can listen from a USB drive, local network/internet and half a score of connectors on the back (TV is plumbed in and sounds sweet. Decent stereo separation rocks). I've never really had much trouble with MP3s. I can notice artifacts occasionally and there has been the occasional really bad encode but FLAC is lossless and sounds really good.

Now I need to get me some alone time and crank up some War of the Worlds.

Edited by tnguy

The Yo Gabba Gabba stuff is great kids music and done by a guy that did the band Devo. 

Incidentally, this Saturday April 19 is record store day. Go in and support your local record store like the Disc Exchange here in Knoxville. They, like many stores, are now carrying tons of vinyl and cd's. 

I'm like some others that have posted. These super compressed mp3's are great for space but the music sounds bad. I love cd's. And I can't figure out why anyone would want vinyl when cd's sound so good. I guess I just haven't heard vinyl's true potential. Some say it's warmer. I say cd's are why I got rid of my vinyl. 

Oh boy, kids music by DEVO eh? 

Ever flip their name over in that gothic font?    Not really someone I would want near any kids, honestly.  

I've seen bits and pieces online but never the whole thing. I need to check it out though. Growing up I listened to them all the time in my moms car, it wasn't until much later that I realized Brian was the mastermind behind it all, and at such a young age to have such a sense of harmony and rhythm. Incredible.
There's a pretty good book about the early years, can't recall the name off the too of my head though.

Yea. Growing up listening to them. It's like you can smell the beach.

Oh boy, kids music by DEVO eh?

Ever flip their name over in that gothic font? Not really someone I would want near any kids, honestly.

I never thought about it. What does their name mean? I thought it was something about de-evolution. As Murg said it's the Aquabats guy inspired by devo. The music is fun on that show. Kind of quirky and teaches fun lessons. I think my fav song is "it's fun to share". Edited by LowBb

Removable physical media is dead. FLAC FTW.

I recently realised I've been spending way too many years listening to music through earbuds and car speakers and bought a fairly nice consumer-level unit for the house and some halfway decent shelf speakers and it's a nice to be able to actually feel the music again. Can listen from a USB drive, local network/internet and half a score of connectors on the back (TV is plumbed in and sounds sweet. Decent stereo separation rocks). I've never really had much trouble with MP3s. I can notice artifacts occasionally and there has been the occasional really bad encode but FLAC is lossless and sounds really good.

Now I need to get me some alone time and crank up some War of the Worlds.

Good choice there, tnguy. Rick Wakeman, Al Stewart, Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Queen, and Dire Straits also.

I listen to about anything, but the above are some of my favs for when the wife isn't home. I have some 20 year old Denon equipment mated to a pair of 30 year old 200 watt Kenwood speakers. I can rattle the house, or just have the smoothest, clearest sounds I want out of them.

I really need to listen to more music at home.

• Like 1
I can listen to just about any music out there. Except stuff from the 1920's era. My Great Grandfather tortured me with that stuff every time we were together. I loved listening to the 50's and 60's music with my Grandmother back in the day. Some of my favorites were Johnny Maestro's sixteen candles, and under the boardwalk by the drifters. I also listened to a lot of hip-hop and rap crap as my father calls it. I have to say though I really love country music the most. Just seems like its music people can connect with. Funny thing is growing up in N.Y. I had no clue what country music was. It's crazy how music can bring up so many different memories from the past.
And to everyone talking about yo gabba gabba, the guy that came up with those characters has a serious perversion. I can't even let my kids watch that show without thinking about it being an adult cartoon. Lol Edited by Nynick81

I need to find some new stuffs. I used to be mostly metal (especially NWOBHM) but just finding it hard to get into most of the new stuff. Occasionally I'll catch a track I like but the rest of a band's output will just not match up.

I'm a devotee of classical music, and that's pretty much all save instrumental jazz. Sadly when I say "classical", most people assume "classic rock". Ho-hum. The kicker is, I'm not even old/snob/gay! Hah.

Edited by Pat

I'm a devotee of classical music, and that's pretty much all save instrumental jazz. Sadly when I say "classical", most people assume "classic rock". Ho-hum. The kicker is, I'm not even old/snob/gay! Hah.

Freebird!

I would not assume that myself but...

The kicker is, I'm not even old/snob/gay! Hah.

Neither am I, and I love classical music.  Heck, I watched Dirty Dancing this morning when I woke up.  As I am writing this post, I am listening to the soundtrack of the movie.  I don't care what the genre is, if it is good music I will probably like it.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with multiple personality disorders when it comes to taste in music. I can go from Miranda Lambert to AC/DC to BB King to Paul Simon to Godsmack within a 45 minute drive to work OR other times I get hooked on a genre for a week or more at a time. The only music I cannot listen to is top 40 pop music and opera. But, I can listen to some Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys ANY time!!

Unfortunately metal and rock just isnt cutting it anymore. I have caught the BLUES  :yuck: 

About a year or so ago, I discovered Joe Bonnamassa, and that led me on a journey of discovering the Blues. Don't think I've listened to more than a few hours of my old standard: Classic Rock, ever since. I can't get enough. It's a whole genre I never really knew existed, and I love discovering new artists. It's like I just discovered music again. I'll turn on Pandora at work, and hear amazing songs I've never heard before. I love listening to the likes of Buddy Guy, Robin Trower, Jeff Healey, Walter Trout, etc.

It's funny, my favorite artists all my life have been Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Jethro Tull. Now I see that they all have their roots in the Blues. So, I guess I've been a blues fan all my life, I just never knew it.

Another kind of odd choice of music I have been enjoying lately, and I don't really know what to call it other than maybe Rockabilly, is the Brian Setzer Orchestra, Big Bad Voodoo daddy, etc. It seems kind of Nostalgic to me.

Oh, and since we are confessing, the other day my wife was driving us somewhere in her car, and SuperFreak by Rick James came on the radio... and I liked it. Couldn't get that stupid song out of my head all day.

If its Brian Setzer Orchestra and BBVD its that weird swing/big band revival from a few years ago. Wasn't my thing, but Brian Setzer is a genius.

For rockabilly see Jeff Becks Crazy Legs or about anything by Rev. Horton Heat. If you want edgier than that, the Legendary Shack Shakers may fit the bill.