KPD sidearms

A.J. Holst

Was out to lunch today and saw a table of Special Ops Squad officers.

They were all carrying what appeared to be a 1911 -style platform.

Didn't KPD recently switch from G-lock to a comparable Sig platform?

I know from past threads, specialized military forces prefer the 1911, same with LE?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Were they actually cocked and locked?

Didn't look for it, but big thread here somewhere when Knoxville asked for big money to switch out their "worn out" Glocks for SIG contract a year or so ago. Maybe special ops unit went with SIG 1911? Would think they'd want something with more capacity though.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

how do their guns get worn out?   

You don't remember thread?  They were past Glock's recommenced service life for maintenance contract under some LE departmental certification program or some such esoterica. Of course not really worn out.

Long thread if anybody can find it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
A friend up there tells me that about 30 or so of their swat guys got Sig 1911, they have been less than perfect but overall they are satisfied. They have had a few malfunctions and two of the guns have had to go back to Sig.

You don't remember thread? They were past Glock's recommenced service life for maintenance contract under some LE departmental certification program or some such esoterica. Of course not really worn out.

- OS

To be perfectly fair to the department, to achieve a CALEA certification which would result In bragging rights, cheaper liability insurance, and a few extra things, the department needed to replace their 4 plus year old Glocks. However they could have gotten new Glocks which would have only cost about $100 each to upgrade each Glock for a new Glock. The majority of the officers really wanted the Sigs, it's been the chosen upgrade amongst a lot of departments in the state(Chattanooga PD, East Ridge PD).

You don't remember thread?  They were past Glock's recommenced service life for maintenance contract under some LE departmental certification program or some such esoterica. Of course not really worn out.

- OS

Yes, there was a lot of discussion on it for a week or so. Seemed that most civilians were against the cost difference in going to the Sigs as I remember.

Yes, there was a lot of discussion on it for a week or so. Seemed that most civilians were against the cost difference in going to the Sigs as I remember.

Yeah, that was main controversy, big money was involved.

- OS

Were they actually cocked and locked?

Didn't look for it, but big thread here somewhere when Knoxville asked for big money to switch out their "worn out" Glocks for SIG contract a year or so ago. Maybe special ops unit went with SIG 1911? Would think they'd want something with more capacity though.

- OS

I didn't want to stare, but at least 3 of the officers were cocked and locked.

Unable to tell if SIG 1911 platforms.

Nah, they claimed it was only $13K which we all doubted.

Even if it was $13,000 in cash + all Glock equipment? That still falls short in the long run. Unless they gave them a BIG break just to get their Sigs in the hands of more LEOs. 

Sig has picked up quite a few agencies here of late. I know they picked up Indiana State Police from Glock as well.

I am sure there was some back room deal and behind the back handshake that secured the deal.

I am LEO and even before I was , I liked Glocks for their reliaibility and their few parts they had as compared to other guns with their so many parts and springs and levers . I still like the 1911 platform but only as the 1911 platform was made with the "non external" extractor. My Glock and my Springfield 1911 has been flawless . I just dont trust a SIg 1911 with the external extractor .

I didn't want to stare, but at least 3 of the officers were cocked and locked.

Unable to tell if SIG 1911 platforms.

Nothing wrong with a 1911 cocked and locked . Like a Glock chambered but the Glock has a better advantage without having to push a lever .