What do you want in a gun show?

Guest rockytopgunshows

I'll just say this:  Long ago I became fed up with dealers that jacked up ammo and firearm prices for the latest panic they invented.  I shop nationwide for my arms and ammo.  I don't need to support gougers, and I will not.  I have ticked off a few with my offers on certain weapon systems and listened to them bi^%$ and moan... but I have attended the SHOT Show more times than I can remember, and I know exactly what a small dealer's costs are, and their regional distributor's costs.  Now if a dealer takes the allotted margin, those dealers are respected and supported with my business.  I don't want wholesale, but I expect the deal to be in line with pricing parameters set forth by the OEM.  

The one thing that would make a great gun show is something you don’t have any control over and that’s the availability and pricing of guns. Maybe some of our local dealers will jump in here, but I think that's why most of them don’t participate. Why should they? If they are price competitive they will sell everything they have and don’t have to drag stuff to a gun show and pay for a table. Edited by DaveTN

Just do the total opposite of the way the Bill Goodman shows are run in Nashville. You pay for parking, pay admission and wade thru all the worthless non-firearm related crap. You come away feeling cheated.

Just do the opposite and you will be more successful.

Well after reading all the fine posts here I have zero desire to even think about going to another show. I don't think I read one positive post in the thread about the gun shows being held this day and time. Last one I went to was pretty much like most folks said and that was in December 2009 and they had a big picture of the President that was elected in November 2008 and under the picture it said Gun Salesman of the Year. I don't know but even what I know about him 6.5 years later I thought the picture was in poor taste.I will leave it at that on that part. The show did have a few fairly reasonable items and I did purchase some ammo and so did my buddy. I also purchased a holster I had been looking for to fit my Llama. Last show I have been to. Was going to go to one in Hendersonville a few months back and it got cancelled. I knew it was cancelled and i told my buddy it was not gonna happen but he insisted on wasting his gas to go over and see an empty parking lot. Was a nice day for a ride anyway. I quit going to fishing expos when I could buy cheaper at retail stores and same reason I quit going to Gun shows...............jmho

I don't have much issue with unrelated tables since they help the promoter keep running but they should be kept to one end of the room and if a genuine gun-related table wants to come in, unrelated tables should get bumped. Unrelated tables should also not be counted in the table count for advertising purposes.

I also don't count the refreshments as unrelated tables but more as part of the facilities. Damned if I'll spend a penny for their overpriced junk if I can possibly help it though.

Edited by tnguy