Members who fade away..

Erik88

Has anyone noticed some of our members with the highest post count have simply disappeared over the years. Members who were very respected and rarely had a negative thing to say are just gone. 

I know that life sometimes gets in the way so I hope everyone is doing fine.

A few that come to mind:

Bronker-miss you buddy

db99wj--he was online recently apparently?

SUNTZU-MIA 2 years

Molonlabetn

Magiccarpetrides

Bubbiesdad

JeffsSig

This is just a few of the people that come to mind. 

• Like 1

I don't know any of them, but I hope they are doing fine.

I have fallen away from some of the car detailing forums I used to be on all the time. But life happens, you get away for a while. When you come back (if you do) some thing haven't changed, others have. People change. Friends get banned or they also fade out. The entire experience changes. The very things that brought you there in the first place are either no longer in focus, or are no longer even talked about at all.

Who knows.

I'm sure there are good reasons.

• Like 1
Been there, done that. As folks have said... sometimes it's as simple as changing of interests, other times it can be the heavy kick of life in the nads (me) or the ban-hammer. Regardless, I sincerely do wish all the best.

I miss Eddie, too.

I have been in a weird little funk lately where I have had many past friends/acquaintances and even a few ... I hate the word but don't know what else to use... enemies that have been brought to mind. Some I have reconnected with, others not. What I HAVE been doing for all of them is praying for them. I know the prayers of others have benefited me... prayers I'm sure I'll never even know about. Even if it's someone I may have never met personally, like many on this board, I pray that God provides extra peace, grace, and provision for whatever it is they are in.

As a teen/college kid I kinda' thought most people eventually hit a groove in mid-life where everything gets stable and you just kinda' cruise. What a dope! The idea that everyone around you is always fighting some battle you aren't aware of weighs on me more and more. It is a discipline to try and respond with kindness to those who are foul. I suck at it, but Imma keep tryin'.

Uh... gee.. guess that's more than what the OP was gettin' at... guess I'm gettin' sentimenal in my old age!

Y'all take care. :-)
  • Like 2
  • Moderators

Has anyone noticed some of our members with the highest post count have simply disappeared over the years. Members who were very respected and rarely had a negative thing to say are just gone. 

I know that life sometimes gets in the way so I hope everyone is doing fine.

A few that come to mind:

Bronker-miss you buddy

db99wj--he was online recently apparently?

SUNTZU-MIA 2 years

Molonlabetn

Magiccarpetrides

Bubbiesdad

JeffsSig

This is just a few of the people that come to mind. 

I know where he ran off to. 

I have talked to a few after they left. The biggest reason was the feel of the board had changed.
This. I think it's just part of the growing process. It definitely is different from when it was smaller and everyone knew everyone. Now it's hard to joke with folks or be humorously politically incorrect without people getting bent out of shape or taking things too seriously. There's are benefits and drawbacks to both, but I do miss the former. Edited by Smith
  • Like 10

Magic is still around here lurking. I talk to him almost every day, were working on some pistols to include a couple of Krink projects.

Eddie-Molonlabetn just posted on here the other day.

I too concur with the reasons some have stated, the board has just changed from what it was a few years ago.

I started hanging around again just recently, it's good to be back... and to know I was missed. My absence has nothing to do with TGO, was just a rough few years personally.

I tell you who I miss, is Marswolf. Shannon was a good dude. As far as I'm concerned, he took a bullet for me. Edited by molonlabetn
  • Like 4

I have found over the years I have been on forum sites whether it is a fishing site of a firearms site. When they first start out small they are easy to keep up with all the members and most times folks are poking and joking around at each other. As others learn about the site they come and join and as that happens the atmosphere of the site changes as it grows. Pretty soon the moderators are busy just trying to keep a safe control of where the site is going and then pretty soon things have to take place like took place last week when some members had to be removed and the sites actually become a full time job for moderators just trying to maintain some type of order. The older members that were there in the beginning liked the old atmosphere when every one kinda knew everyone else and when that changed many drift away. They still come and lurk but seldom post. Like I said I have seen this happen on fishing site forums also...........jmho

I started hanging around again just recently, it's good to be back... and to know I was missed. My absence has nothing to do with TGO, was just a rough few years personally.

I tell you who I miss, is Marswolf. Shannon was a good dude. As far as I'm concerned, he took a bullet for me.

Nice to see you post again Eddie.  I hope you are doing well.   I don't think anyone could blame you for being scarce.   I am sure I'd have lost my mind.

And I miss Shannon a lot too.   I am thankful for having met and being able to spend some time with him. Every once in a while one of his threads pops up and it always makes me do a double take.

• Like 1

I'm not as active here as I used to be.  I bought some "recreational property" a couple years ago so now instead of talking about shooting, I go shoot.  I will say that when I have time to visit the interwebs, TGO is always one of the first places I go.  Yes, it has changed some over the years but my hat's off to the TGO staff for keeping this an excellent resource for firearm information, a great place to buy and sell most anything, and have an occasional laugh.  I do miss getting together with some of the members at the range but I don't miss the range.

Yes, the old guys have seemingly faded into the sunset at times, I've noticed that for the past year or so. I do miss the acidic wit and commentary of strickj, but I noticed his handle on a sale posting just last night.

Magic is...well, magic. The car biz I'm sure takes a lot of his time now, and as Steelharp said, he does pop up occasionally.

Makes me wonder though, will you guys miss me and Steel if we go walkabout? Hmmm?

• Admin Team

Y'all have all heard me carry on about community and what contributes to it, but I think that TGO is kind of an interesting experiment. 

Even though I am involved in the day-to-day operation of the forum, I'm always kind of pleased to hear when people put the phone down and go outside to play.

The way I look at it, each of our lives are on their own unique path.  Sometimes our paths are roughly similar, and sometimes they diverge - for a whole host of reasons.  Hopefully they'll come back together again someday and we can enjoy the stories of each others travels and unique struggles.  It's my hope that we can foster they type of community that encourages people to come back and check in once and a while.

Eddie, it didn't seem right to click the "like" button above, but it's always good to see you back on. 

I've been a member of a number of forums over the years.  These days it's TGO, and a small forum where we all know each other in person and just use the forum to communicate and share news more than anything else.  I was active on motorcycle forums for many years and I'm all but completely out of them now.  I still ride but have a family and don't get to ride as much.  Some of the forums went down hill, another I was very active on but it was a model specific forum, I got rid of mine and tried to stay active on the forum but it just wasn't happening.  I was on a larger gun forum and pretty active until I found TGO then kind of lost interest in the bigger forum. 

I will say that my best forum experiences have been smaller to say medium sized forums.  Forums where you recognize the names of most everyone that posts.  I've also found that I kind of enjoy it more when I actually have met members on the forum in person. 

I've been MIA  for the past several months. Life -- it's thick sometimes. Though I haven't really been active in that time, I have tried to lurk and poke my head in every so often.

I do miss the playfulness, sense of community and banter that we all had here in the early days. I met a lot of friendly and great people through the forum. Strangely enough, a lot of the people I've met were nothing more than random strangers at the range, LGS or gun show that spotted me and said "hey, aren't you that guy from TGO?". I guess it happens when you're the only tactical gimp in a community of only a few hundred.

Yes, the old guys have seemingly faded into the sunset at times, I've noticed that for the past year or so. I do miss the acidic wit and commentary of strickj, but I noticed his handle on a sale posting just last night.

I'm glad that someone has missed me.

Screw the rest of y'all!

:D

• Like 1

I've been MIA  for the past several months. Life -- it's thick sometimes. Though I haven't really been active in that time, I have tried to lurk and poke my head in every so often.

I do miss the playfulness, sense of community and banter that we all had here in the early days. I met a lot of friendly and great people through the forum. Strangely enough, a lot of the people I've met were nothing more than random strangers at the range, LGS or gun show that spotted me and said "hey, aren't you that guy from TGO?". I guess it happens when you're the only tactical gimp in a community of only a few hundred.

Screw the rest of y'all!

That's the man I've missed!

Seriously though. I got involved here at a time I really needed interaction with others, even if only online. It got me thru 3 years of very rough seas, and a great lot of my recovery and good(?) attitude stemmed from the relationships I developed here.

Thanks to all the missing old farts still not heard from, as well as those mentioned here.

'Nuff Said.
  • Administrator

I tell you who I miss, is Marswolf. Shannon was a good dude. As far as I'm concerned, he took a bullet for me.

I think about Shannon frequently.  I was going through some files on the web server a while back and found the picture of him with his 1911 in hand.  I left it up on the screen, went to the wet bar to pour a glass of bourbon, came back and he and I just sat there and sipped it for a while.

Good dude.  Miss him.

Speaking of missing good dudes, glad to see you back here!  I mean that in the most hetero, Barney Stinson way, possible.  ;)

• Administrator

Screw the rest of y'all!

Good to see you back here too!  :)

• Administrator

So here's my take on this whole thing.... :)

Members come and go no matter if we're talking about forums, or Facebook, or car clubs, or churches, or pretty much anything made up of people.  Why?  Because people are inclined to change no matter how much they try to sell you on the idea that they are creatures of habit.  It's just the way of life.

Folks say they drift away because the forum "changed" and I say that forums change because vocal, frequent contributors drift away and are replaced by new, different, vocal frequent contributors.  When the guard changes by natural attrition, the forum changes.  That's only a bad thing if the new guard is made up of complete a-holes.

I think we've managed to keep most of the a-holes at bay.  Lately we cleaned house a bit and that seems to have made things better.  ;)

• Like 5