Ok , How many folks have ask you??

Many people know that I carry a gun. Family gatherings when I take my wnd breaker off and open carry and people that are not family but friends that get invited to the shindig. Some of them will eventually get around to that question of. Would you really shoot someone???? Depending on who they are and the tone of their voice when asking has a lot to do with my reply. Most times I will try and be polite and reply only as last resort. If the person asking is kind of cocky like he may be an anti gun person my reply might be yea I would shoot someone and if need be might shoot them several times. I had one guy at a gathering a few months back of family and friends and he was totally determined to try and embarass the fact that I was packing a gun. He was a young cocky friend of one of my older grandsons. My grandson tried to get him to stop asking questions about it. Finally I went out of front porch because we don't smoke in daughters home and he and my grandson followed. He asked me if I felt like a tough guy because I carried a gun and he doubted I would use it or kill someone. I finally turned and looked at him and said,  "Son I have killed more men in my life than I would ever want to remember and it is not nor ever will be something I am proud of but people kill people in war. So now you know that i have killed in the past and if it ever came down to needing to defend myself or family or even a total stranger in danger by another yes I would kill again. With that he went back insde and made sure he kept his distance from me till he and his friends left. I was just wondering ow many other folks may have had that question put to them and what their answers were???

• Like 10
If they are good people and I feel that with good conversation and some scenarios they might see the reasoning; I'll take my time and chi-chat. I have met soo many people just really have been sheltered or indifferent but curious.
Then there are like the one you wrote about and I usually say something in the line of "I don't answer stupid questions or talk to idiots so we shouldn't be speaking."

I'm at a point now that I try hard to brush off anything that takes me away from my happy place.
  • Like 1

it is along the same line as getting questioned about gun restrictions.  More times than not when I reply to those types of questions with an answer like " do you think criminals care about going past signs that say No Guns"  you can almost see a light bulb go off.

I can't recall anyone asking me about shooting someone.

• Like 1

It rarely happens, but I typically respond with questions such as....  

Why do you wear a seatbelt?  Why do you have smoke detectors in your house?  etc., etc.  

You care for and protect your family however you see fit.  I do the same. 

I've never been asked. Everyone in our family and extended family knows I carry, my wife carries, and my dad carries. Many of them carry as well. I guess I'm lucky, I've never had anyone I've come in contact question why I carry. I guess my answer would have to be something to the tune of "if I'm forced to choose between my life or the life of someone that wishes to do me harm, I'll choose to live every time. Even if that means he dies"

When someone chooses to take from another, their safety and security, they, by default, lose their right to the same.  If someone choses to take my life from me, then let the chips fall where they may and by luck and/or skill we'll see who's still around after the fact.  

Hippies hate that reasoning but the logic is undeniable and no one has yet to make a reasonable argument against it.  

• Like 2
Guest drv2fst

Ask them if they have locks on their doors at their home.  

Why do you need to lock your doors at night?  Don't you trust people not to come into your home uninvited?  What?  You don't?  Well, neither do I.  The difference is: I prefer that my loved ones are still alive when the cops show up.

I've been asked a few times.  I never give my truthful full answer, but I respond with, "Anybody that chooses to carry, should have made the already choice thay they are ready to take a life while defending their life, a friend or family member". 

Which I think that is true, but there is no need for me go to into my long drawn out thoughts with somebody that is asking me this.  My friends either carry and don't ask these types of questions, or my friends that are against guns... well we don't talk about guns... unless it's in the news... and they want to try and ridicule me. 

Edited by ls3_kid

I've used the response, "it's a very low probability to be the victim of a violent crime, I'm just being pro-active and increasing my odds a little bit more to survive and win."

The  question of "could/would you really shoot somebody," is ridiculous. Every gun owner I know does not want to shoot anybody. They don't walk around in condition red, paranoid and jumpy waiting for the opportunity to be a victim so they can use their gun.

I'll bet LEOs didn't join up to be issued a gun so they could shoot somebody.

From the legal and sane, would and could are will and can WHEN it's NEEDED.

Guest Lowbuster
I have been asked something to the effect of, " Are you so afraidfor you lifeyou think you need to carry a gun?" My reply was that I am not afraid to die but worry someone will harm my wife and daughter. I also asked what she thought bad men would do to her after her husband was shot and had no way to defend her. I then asked her if there were 3 or more men beating and raping her for mulitple hours, would she wish her husband or her carried? Now they both carry, have a child, but still think I'm to forward in the way I put things.
Oh well, no one hardly ever misunderstands what I say and means.

I was talking with a friend about a gun he jhst bought and a woman told us we were helping the decay of America's youth by supoorting guns.and it was people like us that helped children gain access to guns to hurt others.
My friend just replied I'm sorry you feel that way and we changed seats.I wish I had said something, but you can't talk to some people that are setnin their ways.

I just can't believe the little turd wouldn't treat a veteran with more respect.

I don't think he was aware of the fact I was a veteran till I told him out on the porch but I did notice that he did keep his distance till they left the gathering. I think your people don't remember that there were wars prior to the last two which one is still taking place. I don't even think our education system even teaches on the Vietnam War. Probably because it was not called a war till Ronald Reagan called it a war. Until then it was a Policing Action or Conflict. I think that was so the VA could get around a lot of services our Vietnam Veterans needed but never got.........jmho

Guest sigequinox

Living in a liberal sinkhole I have to do this quite often. Depending on my energy, mood, sobriety (or lack of), and where I am when the question come up all determine how I will go about answering. That being said, I don't have "anti" friends. Married, house, career, (hopefully kids after we move to TN), I don't have room in my life for liberals. Not vocal a-hole ones that hate the very thing that brings my life happiness anyway.

Many people know that I carry a gun. Family gatherings when I take my wnd breaker off and open carry and people that are not family but friends that get invited to the shindig. Some of them will eventually get around to that question of. Would you really shoot someone???? Depending on who they are and the tone of their voice when asking has a lot to do with my reply. Most times I will try and be polite and reply only as last resort. If the person asking is kind of cocky like he may be an anti gun person my reply might be yea I would shoot someone and if need be might shoot them several times. I had one guy at a gathering a few months back of family and friends and he was totally determined to try and embarass the fact that I was packing a gun. He was a young cocky friend of one of my older grandsons. My grandson tried to get him to stop asking questions about it. Finally I went out of front porch because we don't smoke in daughters home and he and my grandson followed. He asked me if I felt like a tough guy because I carried a gun and he doubted I would use it or kill someone. I finally turned and looked at him and said,  "Son I have killed more men in my life than I would ever want to remember and it is not nor ever will be something I am proud of but people kill people in war. So now you know that i have killed in the past and if it ever came down to needing to defend myself or family or even a total stranger in danger by another yes I would kill again.  Insert comment here With that he went back insde and made sure he kept his distance from me till he and his friends left. I was just wondering ow many other folks may have had that question put to them and what their answers were???

Turn to the grandson, and say- "son, would you go get the shovel?"

• Like 1

I don't think he was aware of the fact I was a veteran till I told him out on the porch but I did notice that he did keep his distance till they left the gathering. I think your people don't remember that there were wars prior to the last two which one is still taking place. I don't even think our education system even teaches on the Vietnam War. Probably because it was not called a war till Ronald Reagan called it a war. Until then it was a Policing Action or Conflict. I think that was so the VA could get around a lot of services our Vietnam Veterans needed but never got.........jmho

I remember the 60's.  I am sure it was called a war back then.   There was a saying in the late 60's " Make love, not war"  We watched the Viet Nam war every night on Walter Cronkite's news.

• Moderators

Last year, while I was putting in some hours behind the counter at the gun shop we had a Canadian youth baseball team wander into the store. I talked for a bit with the coaches and answered their questions. They asked several questions about the use of firearms in self defense, such as "What do you do if someone breaks into your home?" I was very forthright in my answers. "You shoot them." I got told they came back through again a couple of weeks ago and asked about me.

"Is that redheaded guy with glasses working?" 

"No, not today."

"Oh, that's good, eh. He kinda scared us."  :rofl:

• Like 1

I guess I've been lucky as well. Most of my friends know I carry and those that know completely understand and respect this. I'm happy to say a lot of them now either have their first firearms or their own carry permits now. I'm quite proud of that. Even my family back home in the very democratic anti-gun state of Hawaii understand. In fact just an hour ago my dad (retired LEO) was just asking me about buying a gun. My mother who has always been anti-gun is actually the one who is urging him to get one for the house just in case! (Meth is very predominant in Hawaii). And I know, it's weird to think a retired cop doesn't own a gun but Hawaii is a VERY different place where you could just about live your whole life and never hear about or see a gun except in a movie or on tv. If you knew much about where in particular I was raised and if you personally knew my parents you would have no clue as to how I've come to love guns! Before anyone thinks ill of me or my Christian family, we are all conservative and always have been. lol!  :usa:

Where you people are meeting these inquisitive anti-gunners is beyond me!  :rofl:

Guest Cazador

If a police officer happens across a crime what is the first thing he does?  Calls for back up.  Now we have one of the most heavily armed people in society. Gun, night stick, mace, tazer, and shotgun and/or AR15 in the cruiser. In the midst of a crime he calls for someone to bring more weapons.  What are the odds of a LEO being in the midst of a crime? Most times they are called afterward. So do you want to be the person waiting for someone to bring what you need when a crime is happening to you or your family?

People that don’t understand why other people carry have never experienced firsthand the violence people will inflict on each other.
If someone like your grandsons friend is making those kinds of statements I would assume he has led a very sheltered life.

If they are being a smart azz my response is “I can shoot a criminal and go eat lunch; I know that because I have done it.” biggrin.gif

• Like 1