9mm 115gr and Unique

I've got the Hornady, Lee, and Lyman manuals, and between the three there is a great deal of variation as to starting loads, especially regarding overall length. I'm wanting to put together light plinking loads for a 4" barrel and don't really want to spend any time doing load development if somebody else already has the answer.

So: for those of you shooting 115gr bullets through a 4" semi, what has worked for you as far as light loads that cycle reliably with that bullet and Unique? Let me know if your 115 was jacketed or plated; I'm using plated so I'd want to back off a bit if you're running jacketed.

Regards,
Patrick
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am loading 115gr plated 9mm I believe over 4.0grs of Unique. I didn't write it down or anything so I actually can't say for sure. I don't even remember if they were accurate loads! Jesus, I just realized that I am of absolutely no help here! Sorry! lol All I remember is that they cycled 100% of the time in the silly Glocks I owned at the time.

It took me hours and hours of research to come up with the grainage I used for 115gr plated & unique. For some reason the info is extremely difficult to find and was often seemed dangerously conflicting in nature. I think I also had major concerns because 4.0gr of unique actually had to be compressed to seat the bullet length properly. Anyway, like I said before I am of absolutely no help. Hopefully someone else will chime in here as I am getting ready to start reloading again very soon! Anybody know of a good load? LOL!  :rofl:

I  have been using WIN231 , 4.4 powder load for 115 gr LRN.  Strictly 'plinking' with my S&W Shield 9mm.  Great results. I recently found a listing for Unique on 115 gr LRN 4.5 to start ~~Max 5.0   and    115 gr Jacketed bullet @ 4.5  to 5.5 max.  Win 231 has been pretty clean. I'll try Unique, since the WIN 231 has been so hard to find , and I have 3 jugs of Unique that I've been using for my .38's.