Sig P938 ? Good choice?

Ladyhay

Just need a final push or okay from everyone. I have been using my inherited J-Frame as my CCW and practice weapon... For oh 4 months or so- so still very new here. Shoot the husbands Glock some but try to train with what I I carry. I don't love shooting the JFrame as it stings pretty well immediately and I don't love carrying it loaded around the children. Just don't. Lots of things went into wanting a SA vs a revolver for CCW but mainly the children. Just wanted an extra layer of safety with a manual safety, and the possibility of not keeping one in the chamber. I don't carry everywhere loaded now- because of this. I carry IWB and am a framed person plus clothing is fitted that even the Jframe shows on occasion. So all that to ask this: I've pretty well settled on a Sig 938 as the front runner currently. The short list was: Shield 9mm: crossed off bc of the manual safety positioning and related issues I had read about. Ruger SR9c: seems a bit too big, "slide bite," and frame mounted safety had poor reviews. Ruger LC9: Magazine disconnect- seemed okay to me but reading what experts say- makes it seem like the gun could fail more easily, long pull and "terrible" frame mounted safety. I didn't look closely at any .380's but the Walther PPK, and Sig 238 were once considerations. Others: The XDS series seemed to always be below the Shield in reviews and a bit larger than I want. These are on the list to research if I should continue to look: Khar MK9 CM9 Kel-Tec PF 9 Really on the short list is the Khar PM9. Any advice, thoughts, where to buy, or warnings :) Thanks all! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by Ladyhay

I loved mine especially with the pinky extension mag grip.  The safety is always nice especially if you don't want to put it in a holster inside your bag/purse (most females just throw it in the diaper bag), but it has little weight and is extremely easy to shoot, not to mention it feels good in your hands and is reliable.

• Like 1

I really, really like mine. 

Pros:

trigger!  cant be beat by anything else off the shelf in its size/class

reliable -- hundreds of no problem free round in mine

small/light/etc

recoil is not harsh -- can practice with it enough to have confidence

ambi safety

easy to clean/ inspect/ etc

cons:

low cap size/space/tradeoff

RHO mag release

price tag

might be a little small for people with giant hands

comments on others:

many of the models you list *have* a safety but it could be left in the "go" position as the trigger pulls are so harsh. 

The sig is very different from the extremely long and heavy trigger guns like the kel tec.  And, honestly, if you can afford the sig, kel tec may not be for you, its primary draw is the price tag; they are rough utility guns.  Apparently the latest generation of ruger's stolen kel tec designs have improved the trigger pulls.  I just tried them and the pull is lighter and shorter than it was (which still is not saying much: it went from horrible to tolerable on the jonnin scale). 

The 238 is basically the same gun in 380.  Small size differences, but you would be using a weaker pistol that costs more per round to shoot.  380 is for people that can't take the recoil of the micro 9s, but again, the sig's recoil is only "modest". 

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1
I have never shot a 938 but I have manhandled them on a few occasions. Some people like the triggers, I found it a little stiff. The slide was easy to rack but, if the safety is on you can not rack the slide unless the hammer is pulled back, this caught me by suprise. It is kind of hard to tell if the safety is on or off. Something else, the gun can fire from the half cocked position with the safety on, it's not exactly easy to tell if it is half cocked or forward. The magazine is not as easy to release and change as many other guns. Other than that the sights are good, it is about the same size as a shield and they say they shoot very nice. Edited by Patton
  • Like 1

I carry a 938 every day. Everything Patton says is correct. However I've also carried a Kel Tec and the Sig is far superior to the KT. If you think your J frame is no fun to shoot, try putting a couple of mags downrange from a KelTec, you'll have to look at your hand to see if your fingers are still there. It has a Helluva kick. The 938 is heavier, but the recoil is slight because of that weight and the trigger is far better than the polymer pocket pistols that are DAO.

Before I saw your replay Walton I found this video: it says it won't fire. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUl6PcBfOtM&sns=em I'm not sure it's a deal breaker but now I am sure curious. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Be very careful if you decide to carry without a round chambered... If you do a press check to make sure there's no round it WILL effect the feeding on the next round in your mag. I've tried this at the range a couple of times. It did repeatedly fail to chamber a round after a press check. Had to drop the mag and let the round fall out.
  • Like 2
[quote name="thundersnow" post="1143364" timestamp="1398628271"]Be very careful if you decide to carry without a round chambered... If you do a press check to make sure there's no round it WILL effect the feeding on the next round in your mag. I've tried this at the range a couple of times. It did repeatedly fail to chamber a round after a press check. Had to drop the mag and let the round fall out.[/quote] Wow thank you. Very valuable information. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[quote name="thundersnow" post="1143364" timestamp="1398628271"]Be very careful if you decide to carry without a round chambered... If you do a press check to make sure there's no round it WILL effect the feeding on the next round in your mag. I've tried this at the range a couple of times. It did repeatedly fail to chamber a round after a press check. Had to drop the mag and let the round fall out.[/quote] And are all these little nuisances worth continuing the search? This video is concerning. Maybe the Sig is not the best for a newbie ? http://youtu.be/ECdkcbZQsK8 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by Ladyhay

And are all these little nuisances worth continuing the search? This video is concerning. Maybe the Sig is not the best for a newbie ?

These are not normal operation.  You should not have it at half cocked because it is a full cocked safety on gun.  I have never had mine at half cocked and loaded; maybe when cleaning it but it was unloaded then.   Yes, it WILL drop the hammer from 1/2 cock & trigger pull.  I just checked mine. Dunno if it has enough oomph to fire, or if it is blocked.  I can try to fire it next week from that state if people really care that much.   But why would it ever be at 1/2 ???

Yes, it DOES strip a round off the mag if you mess with the slide.  Its really simple.  Rack it one time (or close the slide on a fresh mag), put the safety on, and it will work. Mess with it, and it may not.  Sometimes dropping the mag when not empty strips a round and both mag and loose round fall out of it.  This is normally a non-issue; if you did a tactical reload it might lose you a round on the removed mag.   This has never interfered with operation for me.  Not once.  But I shoot it empty and reload from there....

The actually aggravating issue is that the grips like to come unscrewed when shooting.  Locktite solves that one, but it should not need it.

Patton -- it may be visually difficult to see if the safety is on but it has a positive click into place and can easily be mechanically verified (take it off, put it back on, feel the click, its safe).  I have not ever had it slip into "fire" while carrying over a long time -- had one since the first shipment hit the stores and carried it not long after that (verification process).   I usually ignore safeties but on a cocked pistol, I take it seriously.   I have tested it enough and cannot find a safety failure condition, nor have I had one.  It does its job.   BTW I see you are near chatt... if you are down this way you can shoot mine to test it out if you like.   Same for ladyhay if practical tn is a big place...

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 3

I'm wearing mine as a backup gun right now.  It also replaced my beloved J-Frame, and I honestly didn't think anything ever would.  :up:

As for the half-cock "issue", like others here have said, the gun shouldn't ever be at half-cock.  IMO SIG shouldn't have even cut a half-cock notch in the hammer. 

That video is silly - any semi auto will not work properly if you limp wrist it. And i have no idea how the guy broke part of the gun while cleaning it. I own botha 238 and 938. I love the single action trigger and firm positive safety. I carry locked and cocked - as the design is intended. The 238 is super easy shooter and the 938 is a bit peppier, but still a much nicer pistol han say a ruger LCP which i quickly sold as i just didnt like the heavy trigger. I'm in wilson county and would be happy to work out a meet if you wanted to do a test firing to see if you like them. And no, mine are not for sale :)

As for the half-cock "issue", like others here have said, the gun shouldn't ever be at half-cock.  IMO SIG shouldn't have even cut a half-cock notch in the hammer.

Do you not find it very easy to put the gun in the halfcock position, especially if trying to ride the hammer forward? The halfcock looks like the hammer down position to me. I don't think the 938 is a bad firearm at all. In fact, I want to shoot one.
Keep in mind the half cocked position is a safety feature. If the hammer is being manually cocked and your thumb slips off the hammer it is suppose to keep the hammer from striking the firing pin. Of course your finger should not be on the trigger when doing this.

I have owned and fired the 938 it is a nice handgun for concealed carry. I also have the s&w shield which is what me and my wife currently carry with a round in the chamber and safety on. Edited by joe45

Do you not find it very easy to put the gun in the halfcock position, especially if trying to ride the hammer forward? The halfcock looks like the hammer down position to me. I don't think the 938 is a bad firearm at all. In fact, I want to shoot one.

Why would you ever ride the hammer forward?

I everyday carried a SIG 938 for about a 1 1/2 years and really liked it! Very accurate, smooth single action trigger, light weight and small. It replaced a SIG 229 that I love but was just too big, bulky and heavy to me for 24/7 carry. Like was said above and also in the SIG 938 owners manual, it is a 1911 style action and is meant to only be carried "cocked and locked" when a round is chambered, and I'm not comfortable carrying with an empty chamber. Only thing I didn't like was it's capacity and for that reason only I finally bought a Glock 26 for EDC and carry Glock 19 magazines for backup. Still carry the 938 on occasion when clothing dictates something smaller than the 26.

I looked at, researched, and shot the Kahr, KelTec and others before deciding on the 938. Shooting them helped the most for me to make up my mind.
The Sig 938 is an excellent choice!

As long as one is comfortable with a single action firearm (I am) it is a superb choice. When surfing the web for information you may run across some early negative early release reviews. Those with serial numbers >9000 should be good to go.

It is important to read the manual for proper reassembly.

[quote name="Djay3" post="1143934" timestamp="1398732967"]The Sig 938 is an excellent choice! As long as one is comfortable with a single action firearm (I am) it is a superb choice. When surfing the web for information you may run across some early negative early release reviews. Those with serial numbers >9000 should be good to go. It is important to read the manual for proper reassembly.[/quote] I am considering used. But the serial numbers are of course 52AO then a five digit number . For example: 52AO42478 %20azahuzeh.jpg This link confirmed your advice to stick to greater than 9000: [url="http://centermassgroup.com/2013/05/sig-sauer-p938-review/"]http://centermassgroup.com/2013/05/sig-sauer-p938-review/[/url] Forgive my silly question but what would a "bad" serial number be? B2AO06778? I can't help but be clear. Buying without my husband (he is a glock guy ;)) TIA Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ladyhay
The serial numbers on the P938 all start with “52A0” then all numbers after that are the unique numbers to your pistol. The ones with serial numbers of 8899 and lower are the “misfit toys”. These serial numbers relate to manufacture dates of about mid-September 2012 and earlier. - See more at: http://centermassgroup.com/2013/05/sig-sauer-p938-review/#sthash.FltQhX8r.dpuf

Also the manufacture date should be on the box... Edited by thundersnow
  • Like 1