Sig P938 ? Good choice?

Ladyhay

I will probably start with the 9 and go from there. If there are no major pros for the .40 caliber. The husband shoots a 9mm so we keep ammo streamlined that way. I believe it is an extra round as well ? Did I read that correctly? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The shield is an excellent choice.   The trigger is very, very good  and the gun is easy to operate with hand issues.  

I would stick to the 9.  There is absolutely nothing the 40 can do that the 9 cannot in a real-world scenario.  Its a little more potent, but in the grand scheme of .22 shorts vs 50AE its a gnat's hair of difference.   It reminds me of a powerpoint we did at work one time --- we were proving that our system was better than their old system.  The old system was like 95% accurate and ours was like 98%.   The powerpoint graph was a bar graph that made this difference, when projected onto the viewsceen, about 8 inches apart....   it was laughable.   (Not that our results were not good, this was a big deal, but the graph itself was idiotic).

Can't go wrong with either. My GF prefers the Shield 9, and has it on her all the time. Very easy to conceal even under the lightest of clothes. You'll forget you have it on you with a Crossbreed Mini/Super Tuck. To me it shoots as accurately as it's larger counterparts. For $399 I'd go ahead and pick one up. They're still flying off the shelves here. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]now Free[/URL]

The 9mm is a no-brainer here.  One more round, less recoil, cheaper ammo that you already have "in your logistical system".  Modern 9mm is as effective a "fight-stopper" as anything else you can fit in a smallish handgun. 

The 9mm is a no-brainer here. One more round, less recoil, cheaper ammo that you already have "in your logistical system". Modern 9mm is as effective a "fight-stopper" as anything else you can fit in a smallish handgun.

Having owned both, I don't know that the 40 actually recoils more. Cheaper ammo, yeah sometimes. Obviously one less round, I used to believe any caliber was fine because anything worth shooting once was worth shooting twice. However I continue to hear story after story about weak grips during self defense shootings where one round is all that you get before a malfunction.

I would choose whichever Shield you find the best deal on, cheaper than $400 used or cheaper than $425 new OTD. Edited by Patton

I will probably start with the 9 and go from there. If there are no major pros for the .40 caliber. The husband shoots a 9mm so we keep ammo streamlined that way.

Yep, the 9mm sure sounds like the best path based on all of your various posts in this thread. Please post a shooting experience update after you get your firearm!
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I actually just got home from picking it up. After a good month of deliberation I still didn't know. I got the .40 cal. Now why over the 9 mm? I don't know. It felt better in my hand is really all I got. If I don't like it I can swap it to a 9 mm or keep the .40 for the house. Now I have got to get this pesky housewife stuff done (laundry and groceries) so I can clean er up and take her for a spin. bu2e2ype.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ladyhay
  • Like 1
You can not go wrong with either caliber. Initially you could buy 9mm barrels to drop in the .40's but S&W stopped selling them. I bet the aftermarket will respond soon with 9mm barrels for them if you really want a 9mm. For now enjoy the large availability of .40S &W ammo. Edited by Patton
  • Like 1
[quote name="Patton" post="1161837" timestamp="1403547460"]You can not go wrong with either caliber. Initially you could buy 9mm barrels to drop in the .40's but S&W stopped selling them. I bet the aftermarket will respond soon with 9mm barrels for them if you really want a 9mm. For now enjoy the large availability of .40S &W ammo.[/quote] Yea... That recoil is pretty fierce :) Probably shoulda gone 9mm. Any idea how/where to find a 9 mm barrel? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea... That recoil is pretty fierce :)
Probably shoulda gone 9mm.
Any idea how/where to find a 9 mm barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smith was selling them for $70 but then stopped for whatever reason. I have not seen any for sale since. I can not tell much of a difference in the 9 and the 40 as long as the 180 grain was being shot in the .40.
[quote name="Patton" post="1161914" timestamp="1403559984"]Smith was selling them for $70 but then stopped for whatever reason. I have not seen any for sale since. I can not tell much of a difference in the 9 and the 40 as long as the 180 grain was being shot in the .40.[/quote] Ah, good to know. I was shooting 170 grain brass- FMJ. Not sure what kind of difference that makes. I'll get the 180 and see. --thank you! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by Ladyhay

Yea... That recoil is pretty fierce :)
Probably shoulda gone 9mm.
Any idea how/where to find a 9 mm barrel?

In most cases, dropping in a 9mm conversion barrel is recommended for RANGE USE ONLY and not for defensive carry. The 40 caliber extractor when using a 9mm conversion barrel has the potential to not reliably extract the smaller diameter 9mm round.

It is, of course, important to use a "fatter" diameter 9mm conversion barrel and NOT a standard diameter 9mm barrel.

Looking forward to your further updates. Good luck!
  • Like 1

Before I saw your replay Walton I found this video: it says it won't fire. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUl6PcBfOtM&sns=em I'm not sure it's a deal breaker but now I am sure curious. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just watched this video. All I can say is that the shirt is Very appropriate for the "tester".

Attempting to fire inside, at what appears to be a work station of some sort???

"Goofy" sure is appropriate for him.

• Like 1
[quote name="Djay3" post="1162141" timestamp="1403627681"]In most cases, dropping in a 9mm conversion barrel is recommended for RANGE USE ONLY and not for defensive carry. The 40 caliber extractor when using a 9mm conversion barrel has the potential to not reliably extract the smaller diameter 9mm round. It is, of course, important to use a "fatter" diameter 9mm conversion barrel and NOT a standard diameter 9mm barrel. Looking forward to your further updates. Good luck![/quote] Thanks for all your help! I really need to spend some time with "her" before I jump to conclusions :) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In most cases, dropping in a 9mm conversion barrel is recommended for RANGE USE ONLY and not for defensive carry. The 40 caliber extractor when using a 9mm conversion barrel has the potential to not reliably extract the smaller diameter 9mm round.

It is, of course, important to use a "fatter" diameter 9mm conversion barrel and NOT a standard diameter 9mm barrel.

Looking forward to your further updates. Good luck!

The factory 9mm Shield barrels are the same OD as the .40 barrels and the extractor is the same model number. The tail on the barrel is the only size difference on the barrel beside the chamber and ID. It is not a big deal on the tail as it only locks it up into battery. If I had a factory 9mm Shield barrel I would feel comfortable after a few hundred rounds to be used as SD.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=flnFIzI6MIw Edited by Patton

The factory 9mm Shield barrels are the same OD as the .40 barrels and the extractor is the same model number. The tail on the barrel is the only size difference on the barrel beside the chamber and ID. It is not a big deal on the tail as it only locks it up into battery. If I had a factory 9mm Shield barrel I would feel comfortable after a few hundred rounds to be used as SD.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=flnFIzI6MIw

Now that was a smart move by the engineers! Thanks for the clarification!
  • 1 year later...

Got mine today after looking at the Glock 43. This handgun was in a different league. Two 7 round mags, hard holster, Tritium night sites and a real pleasure to shoot! I'm pleased with it as I also have the Kimber Micro (basically a jazzed up P238) and my wife has the Sig P238.These are very nice carry weapons.

Congrats on the P938.  You'll like this pistol.  After reading an unfavorable review in GunTests magazine several years ago, I was hesitant in purchasing it.  After carrying it for 1-1/2 years I've been pleased with the gun.  I recently got the extended magazine for it, not for the capacity but  better grip.

Got mine today after looking at the Glock 43. This handgun was in a different league. Two 7 round mags, hard holster, Tritium night sites and a real pleasure to shoot! I'm pleased with it as I also have the Kimber Micro (basically a jazzed up P238) and my wife has the Sig P238.These are very nice carry weapons.

See you have a PM9 in your signature. How does it compare to the 938? Size, comfort, trigger pull, accuracy, etc?

Edited by jh225