Muzzle Device Considerations

D3vo

I have my AR15 pistol lower and looking to buy a MAS Defense 10.5" upper.  My question is how much more concussion will I feel coming from a 10.5" over a 16" barrel?  How much more will other shooters at the line experience?

Am I making more out of shorter barrel concussion due to lack of knowledge than I should?

I want to make the best decision on a muzzle device to limit the concussion to me and if possible to other shooters at the line.  If you have any suggestions on style or device for a 10.5" barrel I would appreciate it.

Some sites suggested something like this.

http://www.shop.masdefense.com/FLASH-CAN-MUZZLE-BRAKE-556-223-5FC1P.htm

I think you're on the right track with that link. I've ran the Noveske pig on a few builds and it seemed to work well, as should the one you linked. I've heard good things about the Kaw Valley Precision unit as well. As far as concussion, with the flaming pig on the end of my 7.5" I couldn't tell a big difference while I was behind the gun, and people to your sides won't either. There is a big decibel difference the shorter the barrel gets though, at least in my experience. I wouldn't make a big deal of it, really Edited by KKing

I have my AR15 pistol lower and looking to buy a MAS Defense 10.5" upper.  My question is how much more concussion will I feel coming from a 10.5" over a 16" barrel?  How much more will other shooters at the line experience?

Am I making more out of shorter barrel concussion due to lack of knowledge than I should?

I want to make the best decision on a muzzle device to limit the concussion to me and if possible to other shooters at the line.  If you have any suggestions on style or device for a 10.5" barrel I would appreciate it.

Some sites suggested something like this.

http://www.shop.masdefense.com/FLASH-CAN-MUZZLE-BRAKE-556-223-5FC1P.htm

The one you're looking at is 6061 aluminum - I'm not sure how well that will hold up to .223 use, especially out of a short barrel.

I never had too much of a concussion issue with any brakes when I had a 10.5" upper, though the guys directly to my right and left never liked it. The device that started on it, spent the most time on it, and left on it was a Vortex Flash Hider.

As far as concussion... With no muzzle device, the difference is spectacular to say the least. My 10.5" with naked muzzle produced a seemingly basketball sized fireball, and the 12" isn't much better. A flashider helps with the fireball, and so will some brakes (to some degree, although with a noticeable increase in concussion). I ended up with a Noveske KX5 Flaming Pig, which works wonders... Subjectively, my 12" gun with the KX5 is more well-behaved than a 16" gun with a birdcage fh. Of course, my overall length is only a couple inches shorter than a naked 16" gun.

I didn't know they were coming out with a KX5. Looks like my KX3, but slimmer. I guess they skipped the KX4.

I got hooked up with one from the first run as long as I promised to pimp it out... Mine didn't even come in packaging. So far it works just as well as the 3, at nearly half the weight. Edited by molonlabetn
I personally fired this comp on a buddy's 10.5" yesterday and loved it [url="https://www.primaryarms.com/PWS-CQB-Compensator-223-1-2x28-p/3cqb12a1.htm"]https://www.primaryarms.com/PWS-CQB-Compensator-223-1-2x28-p/3cqb12a1.htm[/url] But it's more expensive than the Noveske, and I can't say it was THAT much better. So I think my vote is still with the KX3 or 5 Edited by KKing

Good many folks on Arfcom pistol forum like the KAK "Flash Can". Low cost and seems to throw the sound downrange quite well and reduce the fireball significantly according to reports

Two versions, regular and slim:

http://www.kakindustry.com/kak-industry-flash-can-m14x1-0lh

http://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/kak-industry-slim-flash-can

- OS

It's aluminum... Interesting... Probably just fine for everything except continuous full auto.
While the recoil wasn't anymore significant, the concussion felt from a commando barrel AR was significant when I was standing slightly to the side and to the rearwhile others were shooting. But did I mention that it was pure awesome? Edited by Patton

It's aluminum... Interesting... Probably just fine for everything except continuous full auto.

No reports of any probs with them from rapid fire, but can't say I've seen feedback from anyone with full auto. Apparently they work pretty well, perhaps not as well as some higher priced ones, couldn't say, no hands on myself.

For 35 clams I thought about getting one myself, but then again, I really don't want to add about 2.5" to length. But certainly, KAK has hot hand right now, zoomed to prominence with their SB15 optimized buffer tubes and whatnot.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot