Ruger SR22 or M&P22?

mhl6493

I'm considering getting a .22lr handgun to practice with and work on shooting fundamentals.  Which would y'all recommend -- the Ruger SR22, or the Smith and Wesson M&P 22?  It would seem that the M&P 22 would make the most sense if I were planning to follow it up eventually with the M&P 9, but I've never tried the 9, so I'm not sure at this point.  Just wanted to get some informed opinions.  Appreciate very much the good advice and info on the forums here.  Y'all are very helpful!

I'm considering getting a .22lr handgun to practice with and work on shooting fundamentals.  Which would y'all recommend -- the Ruger SR22, or the Smith and Wesson M&P 22?  It would seem that the M&P 22 would make the most sense if I were planning to follow it up eventually with the M&P 9, but I've never tried the 9, so I'm not sure at this point.  Just wanted to get some informed opinions.  Appreciate very much the good advice and info on the forums here.  Y'all are very helpful!

My wife has the Sr22 very accurate fun to shoot provided you can find ammo.
She has been very happy with it.
  • Like 1

I just got rid of my SR22.  Years ago I had a Walther P22 (sold it years ago due to financial hardships) and it, in my opinion, was a vastly superior gun.  Maybe I got an SR22 that was less than exemplary... it had a lot of internal rough edges, and quite often would not chamber the second round from the magazine. 

I bought the SR22 instead of another P22 because I wanted to try this new Ruger that everyone was raving about.  I am a bona-fide S&W M&P addict (currently have four) and thought about the M&P22 for precisely the reason you stated; to practice with the same platform I shoot normally.  Then I realized I have a bunch of different guns!  Trigger discipline and sight alignment are pretty similar across the firearm field.  I like small 22s, so I decided against the M&P22.  The 12 round capacity of the M&P22 is cool, though. 

If I had it to do all over again, I'd get another P22... and in another month or two, I probably will!

I know everyone's tastes and experience are different and that's cool.  This is simply my experience.

• Like 1
Very happy with my SR22. Also very happy with my MkIII. My SP101 in 22lr. has been a consistent winner.

I looked at a M&P22 as I have an love an M&P9. It was a nice little pistol. Has some nice features/options. Threaded barrel and some decent capacity magazines. Trigger was pretty ok out of the box as I recall, but nothing memorable. I liked it, ended up buying a MKIII 22/45Lite instead.

If I were to recommend any one rimfire pistol it would actually be the MKIII or 22/45 if you prefer the grip angle. The SP101 in 22 would also be a great choice given your GP100. Any of those 3 will outlast the youngest shooter, be an accurate all around handy gun, and provide reliable pleasure and practice for many, many years.
  • Like 1

I debated between these two pistols as well. I shot a M&P 22 at the range and liked it. I held the SR22 at the store and liked it. My 9 yr old son was the deciding factor. The SR22 was a perfect size and fit. After taking it to the range and shooting it I am very happy with the decision. I have only had 2 FTF and that was some old questionable federal laying around for years. Myself, son and wife have put 1000 + through it and enjoy it very much.

• Like 1

I'd spring for the M&P 22, IMO the 12rd mag is a huge advantage for plinking and makes it that much more fun!  Because its a little bigger, it allows newer shooters to nail the fundamentals and have a more fun time learning - but for the experienced shooters, it sometimes feels like cheating!  The only Achilles Heel is the sights, IMO, they need some work, but I wasn't blessed with great eyes either and just about require 3-dot or target FO sights!  Either way, you can't go wrong!  

• Like 1

Have the SR22. It's a good little plinker and fairly accurate. Been having the urge to try the M&P 22, but haven't found one at the right price yet. Never had the Walther P22,  but all the glowing comments makes me a little interested in it as well.

• Like 1

Have the SR22. It's a good little plinker and fairly accurate. Been having the urge to try the M&P 22, but haven't found one at the right price yet. Never had the Walther P22,  but all the glowing comments makes me a little interested in it as well.

I saw an M&P 22 in a lgs last week for $400.  For a 22, that's a little too rich for my blood.  I could have the M&P 9 for just a little more than that.

I saw an M&P 22 in a lgs last week for $400.  For a 22, that's a little too rich for my blood.  I could have the M&P 9 for just a little more than that.

It is a little pricey, I agree, but these days...what isn't? Still, if the opportunity presents itself, I'll try for one.

• Like 1
I can recommend the MKII, the 22/45 Lite and the P22. All three are outstanding but the 22/45 and P22 came with some government mandated safety nazi interferences, once I got rid of those they became superb shooters. The P22 is amazingly accurate for its size, I tend to shoot far. :) just cuz it says on the box the bullet can travel a mile and a half :) The 22/45 came with a scope mount too.
  • Like 1
I just bought one from a member on the forum but have not shot it yet. As for retail price, Bass Pro has them for $359 and I have seen them in Knoxville for $379 to $399. It does seem like a lot for a 22 pistol when you can get some nice 9mm pistols for about $100 more but I could not pass up the deal I got on this one, but I am a Ruger fan so my opinion may be skewed. ;)
  • Like 2

I know I've already put in my thoughts, but I can't help myself. I really like shooting 22 pistols. Revolvers or Autoloaders. Makes no difference to me. It's just plain fun.

I have several Smith 22 revolvers; a 17 and an 18. Find myself wanting a 617 though. A couple of Ruger wheelies in 22, and of course the must have MkII/III pistols. And of course the AA conversion kit for the Glocks.

And yet...I still find myself thinking about that M&P 22.

I think I have a problem.

• Like 1

Just curious... what do you mean by 'the M&P22 is a Walther."?

I haven't shot the M&P22 yet myself. I have owned both an SR22 and a P22.

From what I've read, the M&P 22 is actually made by Walther and imported by Smith & Wesson.  

I know I've already put in my thoughts, but I can't help myself. I really like shooting 22 pistols. Revolvers or Autoloaders. Makes no difference to me. It's just plain fun.

I have several Smith 22 revolvers; a 17 and an 18. Find myself wanting a 617 though. A couple of Ruger wheelies in 22, and of course the must have MkII/III pistols. And of course the AA conversion kit for the Glocks.

And yet...I still find myself thinking about that M&P 22.

I think I have a problem.

But what a great problem to have...  :D

Had a p22 since they came out, it was a suppressor host only.   Shot it a few times without the can, not really accruate either way.  Sold it last year and bought a MP22 because of other MPs in the house.  Couldn't be happier, I can run it in almost all of my current holsters and makes a great suppressor host.   My walther thread adapter went right on the MP.  I have also read that the MP 22 was made by Walthers Airsoft division :)