How to clean CLP off of gun

bird333

I use 91% isopropyl alcohol found at nearly all drug stores.

I've also used Non-CFC Brake Cleaner from the auto store too. This stuff works GREAT.

But it is recommended to keep it off plastic, rubber and painted surfaces.

Edited by TnShooter83
  • Like 1

Mineral spirits will remove all oils.  Works great for removing cosmoline too.  Bathe what parts you want in a tub of it(about an hour), then rinse with extremely hot water while using a soft bristle brush(tooth brush) to get the bits and pieces out of the nooks.  Dry completely and perform normal cleaning procedure for the firearm.  Reassemble and re-apply whichever oil/CLP/lube you wish to use.

Any surfactant containing product such soap, shampoo, or dishwashing detergent. Then use a brush and water.  As mentioned earlier, CLP is an oil, emulsify it and wash it away with water.

Isopropyl alcohol and compressed air is probably your best bet. And it's cheap.

I use the non-chlorinated brake cleaner a lot, but it can attack some plastics, rubber and paint and may not be the best for wooden grips. It can also leave a white residue behind. Although I've stripped cosomoline off of Mosins this way with no ill effect. Simple Green supposedly will attack some aluminum alloys and anything water based will be a PITA to dry in all the deep nooks and crannies.

You could also use a steamer. I've got one of those shark steamers and its great. The pressure helps clear out all the nooks and crannies and the heat helps the water evaporate quickly. If one were overly concerned you could mix some rubbing all go into the water to aid evaporation. A 50/50 mix will evaporate quickly and is not flammable. Don't know if it would hurt the machine though.

There is no magic lube.

Use the one that's appropriate for the environment you're in, recognize that proper cleaning and maintenance trumps ease of ownership.

That said, I use grease on rails, and clp pretty much everywhere else. xD

• Like 1

I've used the non-chlorinated brake cleaner quite a bit for this purpose on non-plastic parts.  I usually wear gloves and hold it over a trashcan that has a bag in it.  It also works well to clean your cleaning brushes and jags before you put them away.  A crusty old armorer taught me that and the first time I tried it on a relatively new .30 cal bore brush it dripped nasty carbon buildup into the trashcan for about 30 seconds.

Scrub with simple green, rinse in hot water, shake dry, then towel dry. Rinse with 91% isopropyl alcohol to totally de-grease and absorb any hidden water droplets, air dry. Apply EEZOX as general lube and cleaner, best rust preventative on the market. Store in dry safe location with dessicant and/or dehumidifier.