FedEx Shooting...amazed no one's posted this already

Not disgruntled? Someone was gruntled here for sure

Yeah that cracked me up for sure. Obviously he was mad at something/someone. Maybe its their wording trying to say people with guns just go crazy and shoot other people even if they are not made or disgruntled… 

Wording, its the little things that make a dramatic statement.

• Like 1

Figgered it was Ground division before I even checked. Y'all don't know the ins and out of the dirt regarding FedEx Ground, but I've been pretty surprised this hasn't happened more frequently.

The surprising thing is that was a truck loader though, not a contractor. So many contractors have had their lives ruined by Ground, I've been amazed how few incidents have happened over time.

Ground package handlers are not really "employees" of FedEx as the articles indicate however, in the sense most would assume -- they are just part timers with no bennies. Most don't stay too long, lots of umm...shady folks. And even college students. :)  I probably had 10 different actual truck loaders in the three years I "owned" a route. Used to generously tip the 3 or 4 good ones I managed to get, as how truck was loaded was pretty critical as to getting the damn day done halfway efficiently.

So it's a bit surprising that one of those folks would get so bent out of shape compared to a contractor who has vested likely everything he has into the gig. Just another crazy I guess.

And yeah, security shack with guards, but they'd get pretty complacent once they got to know you -- and of course actual contractors weren't generally ever wanded at all, really couldn't be and get everybody in the door in time to get the day done. As far as all the part timers, the security coming OUT of the terminal was more important, due to theft issues, which were 99% done by the package handling folks.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Believe it was a shotgun, not an "assault rifle" as reported in the above NBC news feed.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/fedex-shooting-results-multiple-injuries/story?id=23511924

Rules for reporters responding to gun stuff:

Always over exaggerate

Use the word ar or m16 to describe weapons

Report thousands dead including children first,

Whoever gets there 1st can make up whatever they want. change story later.

Any questions ? See rule 1 and drink the cool aid when offered up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

This was on my Facebook today.

fedex.jpg

To be fair, that's the customer entrance.

To be more fair, all personnel have to go through a guard shack for a more thorough check. However, I could have carried a heater in most any time.

A particularly jocular parody ensued when regional security was doing quality control checking of terminal and/or drivers. Everyone knew when they were in town, word got around fast, and they only followed city drivers around, couldn't really follow us going out into the hinterlands.  And the guards would actually use wand for a few days so could been seen doing it from a distance -- with it turned OFF. :)

Now, assuming that was an actual full length shotgun, it does beg the question a bit of just how he trotted in there with that, though.

- OS

via the waybackwhen machine - I bet Worried Man or Sky King might even have heard these comments in person.

http://tnreport.com/2012/03/07/guns-in-parking-lots-foes-speak-their-piece/

Mark Hogan, vice president of security for FedEx, said the company believes an employer’s right to decide what is allowed on its property trumps an individual’s right to carry a firearm onto that property. He repeated a common theme expressed throughout the hearings, that allowing guns in parking lots adds volatility to possible confrontations.

“FedEx should be allowed to continue to implement policies that are designed to protect our employees from irrational or heat-of-the-moment actions by their co-workers,” he said. “Allowing employees to have near, immediate access to firearms, at work, creates an element of risk that is unacceptable.”

I realize of course, that he is talking about risk to the company, not the employees.  And yes, I probably it worked out exactly as defined in their risk register.

Edited by R_Bert