B.O.B something missing?

I have seen a ton of posts on bug out bag contents. I have someone on pinterest that pins a bunch about B.O.B and EDC and I have noticed one thing I think is missing in all of these. Due to storm season popping up I have gone through my "tornado kit" as I do every year. I was testing and replacing the stuff, when I came across the airhorn I put in the box. I tested it and it worked fine but was a little quieter than it was new. I was thinking about throwing it away but then thought maybe I should throw it in my B.O.B. I figure it would be a little hard to hear under a pile of rubble but it would still be loud enough if lost or hurt in the wild. I was wondering if I was out of my mind to put this in my bag. I keep these badboys in my car, house, camping gear etc but never occurred to me to put in my B.O.B. I know that your bag is used if you are trying to get away but what if you are just trying to get home after a natural disaster, I would think that this might come in handy.

Edited by LI0NSFAN
  • Like 2

Signaling?...a really good whistle

^ this ^

I agree as well. A good whistle is better than an air horn - lighter - and doesn't run out of air (unless you do  :ugh:)

I prefer pea-less whistles, primarily use an Adventure Med Kits branded one. Loud enough and sound carries well. Bright orange is easy to spot on the ground when I drop it too!

I need to get my "storm" bag together.  This past week reminded me of that. 

How hard would it be to access and use any sort of whistle or air horn when buried under said pile of rubble?  Obviously possible if you ended up in some sort of cavity where you could move around to some extent, but if you've ever been at the bottom of the "dog pile" you know that simply breathing can be difficult.  Getting a deep enough breath to blow a whistle or dig an air horn out of a bag might be impossible.   I've got a whistle that lives in my primary hiking pack but hadn't thought of one for the BOB.

Edited by peejman

I need to get my "storm" bag together.  This past week reminded me of that. 

How hard would it be to access and use any sort of whistle or air horn when buried under said pile of rubble?  Obviously possible if you ended up in some sort of cavity where you could move around to some extent, but if you've ever been at the bottom of the "dog pile" you know that simply breathing can be difficult.  Getting a deep enough breath to blow a whistle or dig an air horn out of a bag might be impossible.   I've got a whistle that lives in my primary hiking pack but hadn't thought of one for the BOB.

This was the thing I was thinking about. The one time I had to seek shelter I held onto the airhorn with all I had. I was thinking if you take a nasty fall and crack a rib or 2 repeatedly blowing a whistle might not happen long. I do have a whistle in my bags as well, that is why I have never even thought of the airhorn before. It does not take up that much room and it says it gets 3 hours of noise. I have never tried it and I assume that is consistant noise. I would only use it in short bursts so it may get me a day of attention getiing noise.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Maybe one of those little beeper sized panic alarms for runners (just pull the lanyard out). Check batteries but probably get about as much runtime as an airhorn at least.

I often see basic hygiene stuff missing, spare glasses and meds when applicable.

Maybe one of those little beeper sized panic alarms for runners (just pull the lanyard out). Check batteries but probably get about as much runtime as an airhorn at least.

I often see basic hygiene stuff missing, spare glasses and meds when applicable.

I never thought about one of those panic alarms. That is not a bad Idea, a couple of extra batteries for that and you should be doing pretty good on time. I have whistles in all my bags and even on my keychains. I like to have backups for everything and the airhorn fit that but because of size I might look into panic alarms. It would be nice if something happend and I started to black out all I had to do is pull the cord and the sound would continue even if I do black out.