Best $14 I've spent all year

You, sir, are a great American.

Thank you sir, but I am really a great-FUL American! 

I forgot to add, that when I told my daughter "Do you know that man fought in the same war as Paw Paw?" the look on her face was priceless. I don't know that she's old enough to quite grasp it fully, but she is learning and knows that there are men and women that give all for their country and it's people.

• Like 1
That's awesome. I kind of did the same thing a week ago and unknowingly taught my son that anyone can be a cheap prick. There were two local police officers that walked into our favorite mexican restuarant while we were eating. I got up and told the waitress to give me their tickets when they were done but not to tell them that it was me. They asked for their checks and the lady told them that someone had already taken care of them. They said oh thanks to her and left. No tip. So I apologized to her for beating her out of her tip and gave her 5 bucks. Twenty minutes later when we left the two police officers were standing in the parking lot. I started walking towards them when my lovely wife told me that if I said anything to them that she would walk home. I looked and her than and my son and got in the car like a good little boy.
  • Like 1

That's awesome. I kind of did the same thing a week ago and unknowingly taught my son that anyone can be a cheap prick. There were two local police officers that walked into our favorite mexican restuarant while we were eating. I got up and told the waitress to give me their tickets when they were done but not to tell them that it was me. They asked for their checks and the lady told them that someone had already taken care of them. They said oh thanks to her and left. No tip. So I apologized to her for beating her out of her tip and gave her 5 bucks. Twenty minutes later when we left the two police officers were standing in the parking lot. I started walking towards them when my lovely wife told me that if I said anything to them that she would walk home. I looked and her than and my son and got in the car like a good little boy.

Wow! Well that unnoticed good deed probably taught you son something good even though everyone may not appreciate it. I bet if you did the same thing 10 more times, they would all be thankful. You just found some bad apples, it happens brother. But what you teach your son, is everything! Hat's off to you  :up:

P.S. My wife would have done the same thing. lol

Edited by rugerla1

I love stories like this. Nice show of respect. :usa: :usa:

My wife and i were on vacation and visited a local watering hole one evening. I noticed a older gentleman across the bar in a leather jacket with military patches. He was sitting alone so i told the bar tender that we wanted to pick up his tab. About a hour later, after a modest 2 beers, the man found out his tab was covered. He walked over and sat down next to me and my wife. We spent the next two hours listening to incredible stories of his past. It was almost like he had waited years for someone to listen to him.

Around 1:00, we parted ways. It was a very moving experience for me. It was much like talking to either of my deceased grandfathers who served. Then, to my surprise, the manager came over to talk to us. He said the guy had came to that bar alone for the last five years and had never talked to anyone. He covered our dinner and bar tab and thanked us for taking the time to talk to the "old grumpy vet". 

These guys are out there. They hold a great deal of history that will be gone in a few years. I encourage anyone who can to engage a vet in conversation. They often provide a good example of what being an "American" is all about!

Edited by Parrothead
  • Like 7
+10000000
Thanks for making his day. As a vet I know the guys in the 70s had it rough...any sunshine is always appreciated by them kudos and may the karma train bless you with everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
  • Like 1

I love stories like this. Nice show of respect. :usa: :usa:

My wife and i were on vacation and visited a local watering hole one evening. I noticed a older gentleman across the bar in a leather jacket with military patches. He was sitting alone so i told the bar tender that we wanted to pick up his tab. About a hour later, after a modest 2 beers, the man found out his tab was covered. He walked over and sat down next to me and my wife. We spent the next two hours listening to incredible stories of his past. It was almost like he had waited years for someone to listen to him.

Around 1:00, we parted ways. It was a very moving experience for me. It was much like talking to either of my deceased grandfathers who served. Then, to my surprise, the manager came over to talk to us. He said the guy had came to that bar alone for the last five years and had never talked to anyone. He covered our dinner and bar tab and thanked us for taking the time to talk to the "old grumpy vet". 

These guys are out there. They hold a great deal of history that will be gone in a few years. I encourage anyone who can to ingage a vet in conversation. They often provide a good example of what being an "American" is all about!

What a GREAT story! Thanks for sharing, that made me feel good and I wasn't even there.

If I grab a serviceman or cop's meal, I make it a point to include tip (it's proper, and in fact, they may not have calculated it before their meal). And..... I tip at least 20% or more. I can't afford that, but the server usually can afford it even less than I.
  • Like 4
Guest PapaB

Not only was that a blessing for all involved, it was a great lesson for your daughter and nephew. Well done sir.

And..... I tip at least 20% or more. I can't afford that, but the server usually can afford it even less than I.

Not just for someone elses meal but my own. I find it appalling how little people tip. Sometimes there are people who tip around 5% or less. I get called a big tipper for tipping 15-20% and that's for below average service
  • Like 2

Thank you OP.

It's great to see Vietnam vets getting the appreacion they deserve they didn't get back in the 70's.

It makes me sick thinking about the lack of appreciation they did receive. This isn't the first time I've done this, although it's been a while since we don't eat out that much. But I am going to try even harder to spot vets and hopefully their families and help them out.

Guest Cazador
I paid for a Veterans meal at Cracker Barrel last weekend. I stopped and thanked him for his service and he told me of his service in Europe during WW2. The gentleman was 98 years old. He asked if I had served and I told him of my service in the USMC and getting out after Desert Storm. He thanked me with a big smile and we shook hands. After being seated I stopped his waiter and told her to bring me his bill. I paid for his meal including a good tip. I had several children from church with me who were full of questions. It was a good history and life lesson for the children.
For the last 14 years I have been traveling all over the world for work. I can not count the times that I run into Soldiers on their way to or back from combat. Every time that I get the opportunity I thank them. Sometimes by picking up their tabs at a food joint or buying them a beer, I always do what I can. The look of gratitude on the faces when I thank them for their service and for keeping my family safe is more heartwarming and rewarding than anything I can think of,

More than once I have given up a first class ticket and taken their coach seats on flights

May God bless all of you who have served our wonderful country!
  • Like 4

Thank you OP.

It's great to see Vietnam vets getting the appreacion they deserve they didn't get back in the 70's.

plus one.  i flew into sea tac in the early 70's and could not get my uniform off fast enough.  in the airport i got call just about every name in the book and some other things by a bunch of long hair dirt bags.   back in those days you did not go off base with your uniform on, it just started trouble.  

• Like 1