Car Insurance

I've had Farm Bureau for home and auto insurance for a few years now. I received notice in the mail today stating they are raising my auto rates after running my credit score ($100 over 6 months). I didn't even know they could run my credit years after my initial request to get insurance.

I have perfect credit, but they cited that I did not have enough balances per lines a of credit. Meaning they are punishing me for being debt free? I'm accident and incident free as well, so I see no reason for rate increases when they were already higher than the competition. So, I'm looking to find a new insurance company based on the principal of the issue.

What insurance company does everyone recommend?
I'm with Liberty Mutual. I'm happy with them so far but only been with them 2 years or so and never had to file a claim.

Hope you can find someone new soon, that's some BS on Farm Bureau's part. Hope you tell them exactly what you are doing, why, and where they can stick their rate increase.
Jeez, that was a bitch move on their part... especially if you haven't had any claims. I have FB as well (my credit is probably too bad for them to target me for a rate increase), but I'm down for beating feet to voice my displeasure if that's how they're going to be. At one point I got State Farm quotes via the NRA that were competitive...

i have been with my agent at State Farm for about 5 years now and I have my Jeep, Skeeter Bass Boat and my renters insurance all with her and my Jeep rates and boat rates have both come down two years in a tow. My jeep came down $17.00 and Boat came down $31.00 and renters Insurance remained the same as last year. I will be sticking with them unless they try what FB is trying to do to you. Then I will also be shopping......... :up:

Farm Bureau has been doing this almost randomly for the past few years. My parents used FB for many years & thier insurance suddenly rose a lot without any cause a few years ago & they finally dropped FB like a rock. I'm not a home owner, but I've been very pleased with Allstate & their service for our autos. About 10 years ago we were driving & got caught in a massive hail storm that totaled our '96 Corolla (Over $6,500 in damage). My Allstate agent drove 70 miles to meet me in my home town & made all the arrangements with the dealer along with a paid rental car. Then I got rearened while sitting at a redlight a couple years later &, again, they made the 140 mile round trip to my town & after I gave him my estimates, he even printed me a check right on the spot. They give good driver's discounts a couple times a year too. So far, both me & my wife have perfect driving records & that helps a lot. Our rates have never gone up in the 15+ years I've been with them.

I applied for quotes with Esurance, Liberty Mutual, and All State. Ill have to get State Farms too.

Esurance has been the lowest so far (over $60 cheaper per month for much greater coverage than I currently have) followed by Liberty Mutual with a discount from a local credit union.

I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest, but the cheapest/best which sounds like All State may be worth it.

1st, FB decided to raise your rate, then they went looking for an excuse!  Unless they have your ssn, how did they run your credit.  I don't remember giving my ssn to my agent, but maybe I did.

I have been with State Farm for close to 25 years now.  Other than my home, I have never had any increase.  I do negotiate even with State Farm, and I have actually negotiated one agent against another agent.  Yes, it does work.  My home insurance is just like a 45 degree angle on increases, it just never ends.  My cars, boat, and my extra gun insurance works perfect for me.  I know I pay more than some of the other insurances, but I have heard too many water cooler type discussions at work about all of those others and the headaches on claims.  When the tornadic storms came through this area in 2011, and my truck and house took a beating from the 3-4" hail, State Farm paid without any hassle, and I had close to ~$23K in damage between the truck and house.  I added it up, I think they paid out more on my claims then they have took from me in my 25 years now.  So I guess we are even.  Like a good neighbor, they were there.

Guest Lowbuster
I have state farm too. With the financial problems I had over the past few years, they never cancelled me. they worked with me so I was never without insurance and no late fees because I couldn't afford them.

I had dtate farm for a very long time .a couple of years ago I changed to westfield it was about the same for the house but the auto ins was much cheaper with more coverage .the company I use now is westfield the agency is in Jamestown the rains agency I have to say they are the best I have ever worked with

Allstate here. Ive had them for 4 or 5 years and im happy with them. Never filed a claim though. I was scared of State Farm because my old work partner told me he filed a claim with them after having them several years and they ended up dropping him and not paying the claim for some reason? May have been something on his part im not sure. Edited by reed1285
I have been wanting to leave FB for a while now but we have been with them our entire lives, as both our parents had FB. I hope they send me a letter like that, then maybe I can get the husband to jump ship. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats odd. I have farmers and my rates have been much lower than when I had allstate and geico. For the same exact coverage. The differences where $230 and $160 respectively more than what I pay now. 

I applied for quotes with Esurance, Liberty Mutual, and All State. Ill have to get State Farms too.

Esurance has been the lowest so far (over $60 cheaper per month for much greater coverage than I currently have) followed by Liberty Mutual with a discount from a local credit union.

I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest, but the cheapest/best which sounds like All State may be worth it.

+1. There are cheaper companies, but Allstate suits me. I have uninsured motorist & double medical/accidental coverage. When I was rearended a few years ago it was by two cars. A woman hit the guy behind me & slammed him into the rear of my truck. I was the only person out of the three that had any form of insurance & even though I only had liability, the uninsured motorist coverage took care of me so my truck got repaired. My rates didn't go up a penny either since it was the other driver's fault. The police officer that worked the accident pressed charges against both drivers on my behalf so I didn't have to appear in court. When the other drivers went court the driver that hit me told the judge to shove it & refused to pay my deductable so Allstate simply figured it into the repair cost & I wasn't out a penny.

USAA here. Rates are usually competitive, but rarely the lowest. Their service is consistently one of the highest rated in the business, and usually number 1.

Liberty Mutual is usually ranked right there with them.

USAA is my third car insurance company, and they are the lowest I've had.  I was very happy with Safeco's customer service during my one and only accident, but USAA beat their prices by enough to make me leave.  I wouldn't have unless I had the confidence that USAA wasn't going to be a step down in customer service.

Thats odd. I have farmers and my rates have been much lower than when I had allstate and geico. For the same exact coverage. The differences where $230 and $160 respectively more than what I pay now. 

Farmer's and Farm Bureau are not the same.

- OS

Thanks for all the feedback, you all are awesome! After talking to a few more people who had Esurance and them going on and on about how great they were, I went ahead and signed up.

My bill is now half of what I was paying before and I have more than double the coverage!  :D