Purchase Advice...

dbla

Hey guys, 

Long time, no post... Anyway, I am looking for a full size handgun again. I have downsized my gun collection to really only my Kahr CW9 carry piece. Now I just got a job that's a 25mi or so commute and have been wanting to put together a "Get Home kit" if you will. I figured in addition to being for home defense this is something I could take with me, lock in my lockbox when I am in work... Basically just to have with me, just in case... If that makes sense. Anyway:

Here's what I am looking for, a full-size double stack 9mm, with ambi-controls. I'm a lefty so I'd prefer not to have a righty only safety, etc...

I'm looking at a Glock 19, a Walther PPQ, or maybe an FNS9. I am LEAST familiar with the FNS, but I handled one today and they seem pretty cool. The Walther has always attracted me the most, but I can't rule out the Glock.

Do you guys have any additional feedback or suggestions?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I really like the PPQ and FNS9 and have had and will have again, the problem with them in regards to you question has always been finding mags, holster, sights, etc. It's also hard to find them in stock or for sale on the secondary market. Reverse all that in regards to the Glock 19. I would also suggest that you take a look at the M&P9 as well. Great guns with all the benefits of the Glock with better ergonomics.

Either Glock or M&P. Whichever is least expensive at the time. Both will get you home, and on through the rest of your life. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]now Free[/URL]
Guest Lester Weevils

Stoeger Cougar is fairly low price and excellent quality. Ambi controls. About the same width as a glock, a little shorter than a g17, a little longer than a g19.

All metal. Mine weighs 27 oz. In comparison, my g17 weighs 22.3 oz, beretta 92 (operates and feels near identical to cougar) weighs 31 oz, one of my 1911's weighs 38.5 oz, and my 4" s&w 586 revolver weighs in at 41.2 oz.

Just an alternate idea. I shoot the cougar more often than I shoot the g17. Guess that means I like it better. I usually either pick the beretta 92 or cougar for nightstand gun.

Since this is a 'get home bag' weapon, and I consider that to be a weapon you would use in a non-permissive SHTF environment involving societal breakdown and potential conflict with authorities. For that reason it might be worth considering the same caliber as your local or regional law enforcement, perhaps even the same make and model... With that in mind, if I chose a 9mm other than a Glock, it would be a Beretta M9. All of this with consideration that I may have to pick up dropped ammunition and magazines along the way if there is fighting.
Thought about that. I don't know if I anticipate something on that large of a scale, but it's still a worthwhile thought. I'm leaning Glock's direction at this point.

Thought about that. I don't know if I anticipate something on that large of a scale, but it's still a worthwhile thought. I'm leaning Glock's direction at this point.

I know it sounds like a stretch, but if something happens that makes you have to hump it home, AND fight to get there (hence the gun), we aren't likely talking about something small scale that you can handle with the compact ccw and small amount of ammo you already have with you. Edited by molonlabetn
[quote name="hipower" post="1145487" timestamp="1399126961"]Shameless plug. If you are considering a 40, I have a great Sig 226 listed in the classifieds. Check it out and pm me if have any questions.[/quote] Sent you a message.
Guest ddmoit

I recently purchased a pair of Canik55 Stingrays - a Turkish clone of a CZ 75 compact model.  I love them.  Too heavy to carry, but great range/home defense gun. 

I recently purchased a pair of Canik55 Stingrays - a Turkish clone of a CZ 75 compact model. I love them. Too heavy to carry, but great range/home defense gun.

I carried a 75B Omega as my primary edc for years and recently downsized to a P01 SDP. With a good belt, holster and appropriate cover garment it worked for me and I'm 5' 8" × 165 lbs.