Ruger LCR or S&W Airweight?

I have no issue carrying a ~21oz steel j frame in a pocket.

I may just have to try it out with how I normally dress and see.  Which is part of the problem.  It's hard to find a gun store that has the exact gun and holster you're thinking about, and that will also let you open it up and try it out to see if it will work.  At least that has been my struggle so far.  Trial and error can get to be an expensive proposition without it.

I may just have to try it out with how I normally dress and see. Which is part of the problem. It's hard to find a gun store that has the exact gun and holster you're thinking about, and that will also let you open it up and try it out to see if it will work. At least that has been my struggle so far. Trial and error can get to be an expensive proposition without it.

Oh, even with all the advice and guidance here you'll still end up with a box of holsters, it's a right of passage.

For pocket carry, the Remora or Nemesis are good choices for holsters. Have used both for my SP101. Buy a good belt!
  • Like 1
I've owned a S&W 30 in 32 Long ( wish I still had it), and a 36. I've. Also owned two Ruger SP101s in. 357 and .38 and a 2nd Issue Colt Agent. 38 6 shot snubbie. The little Colt is the only one I still have. Colts are known for their triggers and at pretty much the same size as a J- frame, the 6th round is nice! With standard velocity .38s it very accurate and controllable.

Unfortunately, Colt pretty much got out of the revolver business, but you can still find these great little pistols on the used market, in a matte, blue, nickel, or SS finish. The Agent and Cobra were made with an alloy frame and should not be used with .38+P. The Detective Special is an all steel version that wonders into the realm of the SP101, weight wise, but you get one more shot. Price wise, these pistols go for $400. To $600.

The S&W 30 was a very accurate pistol, but I was young and dumb at the time, and snubbies weren't real sexy. The S&W 36 Just never impressed me very much. Both SP101s were great pistols, but if you are on the thicker waist side of life, better start wearing suspenders, cause you are going to be pulling your pants up a lot. They carry much better in a belt holster than the pocket. You will be very concious of the weight in your pants pocket.

I'd go try several pistols out at a range or borrow some from friends and see which one you like better. And go with the lightest thing that's comfortable. Aesthetics and availibility of after market parts doesn't matter much to me, except when it comes to holsters. You are buying a pistol for concealment, not necessarily to show off. As a matter of fact I don't want people to know I'm carrying one. The only time others should see it is at the range. Edited by Moped
  • Like 1

I had a LCR , I liked the grip but not the action. Here is my lightweight , smooth as butter.

photo_zpsf552781d.jpg

Very nice!  What model is that?  And have you had any problems with the internal lock?  (I've read enough other places to know that I really don't want to open that can of worms here.  Just curious.)

Edited by mhl6493

Very nice!  What model is that?  And have you had any problems with the internal lock?  (I've read enough other places to know that I really don't want to open that can of worms here.  Just curious.)

642 Performance Center , not worried about the lock.
  • Like 1

I had a LCR , I liked the grip but not the action. Here is my lightweight , smooth as butter.

photo_zpsf552781d.jpg

The more I look at it, that really is a beautiful 642.  If you don't mind my asking, how readily available would one of these be?  I'm finding from calling around to various gun shops that some of these things are pretty rare indeed.  

The more I look at it, that really is a beautiful 642. If you don't mind my asking, how readily available would one of these be? I'm finding from calling around to various gun shops that some of these things are pretty rare indeed.

Hit up Gunbroker , that's where mine came from

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=414308653 Edited by Fourtyfive
  • Like 1

642s are not rare those grips might be though, here are some grip options:

http://www.altamontco.com/experimental/products/pistol/smith_and_wesson/#Smith_and_Wesson_jframe.php

http://www.handgungrips.com/JFrame_Round_Butt_=_Smith__Wesson/35/c/1825

http://www.craigspegel.com/

http://ahrendsgripsusa.com/revolver.htm

You might want to get this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/262030/gun-video-trigger-job-complete-action-tuning-for-smith-and-wesson-revolvers-with-jerry-miculek-dvd

The Performance Center model already has a factory trigger job. The grips come from the factory as well , can't say that S&W makes them , I doubt it. Edited by Fourtyfive
  • Like 1

I'm with Musicman, this is just my "forum jockey's useless opinion" and I'm late at that.  :pleased:  I've always been a snubby fan, but sold my Colt Detective (most inaccurate) for a 36 (prettiest) which I sold for an LCR .38+P (ugliest) but it's light, accurate, and the double action out of the box is smooth as can be. At 13oz, it's a great carry gun and being made of all those fancy named polymers (plastic), I use it for my boat gun too.

I'm a Smith fan for sure, but for a practical carry snubby, I like the Ruger. Depends on what you're looking for. If someone wants a pretty snubby, they should've bought Blackvandriver's fully engraved Smith, now that was a handsome piece!

• Like 1

Just got myself a LCR a few weeks ago. Was torn between the LCR or  the 442 for a few weeks. Really came down to the smoother trigger of the LCR (really only did a dry fire comparison at a store, not a real great comparison) -  and most important to me was the ability to put a real, visible front sight on the LCR (the XS big dot). I have crappy vision and the j frame front post wasn't gonna cut it.  Although I haven't been able to find one is stock yet to put on my LCR.

I've only been able to get it to the range once so far and run a box of umc 38 spcl through it. It was pleasant and fairly easy to shoot for a 2" barrel snub nose. Looking forward to my holster showing up and trying it out in my pocket for a BUG or really hot days when I wanna strip off the shirt.

Cosmetics for a carry gun are noexistent to me, hence I carry a glock daily :shhh: .

• Like 1
Having carried both a Kel-Tec P3AT (the gun the LCP was copied from) and a S&W 940 (a 9mm J-frame)... I'd recommend a Kahr P380; with that you'll get the accuracy, quality, trigger and price of the Smith with the portability and controllability of the .380.
  • Like 2

Having carried both a Kel-Tec P3AT (the gun the LCP was copied from) and a S&W 940 (a 9mm J-frame)... I'd recommend a Kahr P380; with that you'll get the accuracy, quality, trigger and price of the Smith with the portability and controllability of the .380.

I concur, the Kahr P380 is IMO the best pocket .380 available, all things considered. The Kahr has, which some pocket guns dont, good usable sights, standard American placement of the magazine release, and last round locks the slide back for a reload.

Two that come to mind in the same quality spectrum as the Kahr, is the Seecamp and Rohrbaugh, they both lack some or all of those things.

So all things considered, I dont think you can do better as a pocket pistol than a Kahr P380.

.380 and .38 are very close in effectiveness and a .380 will be much flatter to conceal.

I concur, the Kahr P380 is IMO the best pocket .380 available, all things considered. The Kahr has, which some pocket guns dont, good usable sights, standard American placement of the magazine release, and last round locks the slide back for a reload.

Two that come to mind in the same quality spectrum as the Kahr, is the Seecamp and Rohrbaugh, they both lack some or all of those things.

So all things considered, I dont think you can do better as a pocket pistol than a Kahr P380.

.380 and .38 are very close in effectiveness and a .380 will be much flatter to conceal.

Thanks.  So how would the Glock 42 compare in your opinion to the Kahr P380?

Do yourself a favor, call some of the ranges in your area that do rentals and try to find one that has an airweight Smith and an LCR you can try. 

My personal experience is that I carried an airweigth S&W 638 for quite a while, but it was just too much recoil to practice well with.  I eventually bought a 649 (exact same gun, steel frame instead of the airweigtht) and it's much easier to shoot.  It does weight a bit more in the pocket, but it hasn't been much of an issue for me.

• Like 1

Thanks. So how would the Glock 42 compare in your opinion to the Kahr P380?

I have owned a cw380, it was ok. The G42 is quite a bit bigger but not in a bad way. As far as shooting the two, the Glock is probably a better shooter. The G42 and the M&P Shield honestly conceal about as well as a j frame or LCR. The G42 I have handled was a friends who has had a little bit less than 100% reliability. I can tell you though, the Shield is a lot better of a package than the G42, more powerful round with more capacity, without getting much larger. The Shield may be a better shooter as well. Call me crazy though, my Shield is the second one I own and I would trade it in a heartbeat for another good j frame, even though I own several.

My complaints on the Kahr was it had an extremely tight chamber not liking any reloads and just had rough edges. I used to get cuts just handling it, I actually preferred a LCP over the Kahr.
  • Like 1
The P380 is much better finished than the CW380, also has a different barrel. I have no complaints from mine, it goes everywhere with me.

I havent even laid hands on a G42 yet so all I can say is from pictures it appears bigger. Big enough I personally wouldnt try to pocket carry it.
  • Like 1