Sociology Survey for College

Guest student12

I suspect with many "college" driven surveys, there is always a 2nd agenda.  Meaning there is a survey, but the survey is hidden to the unsuspecting survey participant. 

Edited by Runco
There is no randomness associated to this survey. Well over 90 percent of the answers will be identical in this population.

Motives coming from a well known liberal institution are not trustworthy considering the source and location.

Questions are poorly designed as they clearly elicit conclusions at the beginning of the questionnaire.

As someone who has taken three semesters of statistics, may I ask you to obtain help from your faculty or TA as this attempt has the appearance of trolling and a rather poor example at that.

There is quite a bit more I want to write, however it really is not worth the effort or the time.
  • Like 1

Circle One.(I would circle one, but I seem to have misplaced my crayons)

Do you own a firearm?
Yes

Have you ever owned a firearm?
If I do own one then I have owned one.

Do you plan on owning a firearm?
If I do own one and I have owned one then I guess I plan on owning one.

How much experience do you have with firearms?
That depends on your perspective.

Are you for gun rights or gun control?
See answer to question 1.

Write out the answers to the following questions.
Please define gun rights.

I have the right to own firearms.

Please define gun control.

Any attempt to try and regulate my right to own firearms and any item related to them.

How much do you agree/disagree with the following statements? Circle One.

(Again, I looked, but I still can't find those crayolas, I bet my 4 year old ate them again.)

1. Background checks should be mandatory for anyone who owns or uses firearms.

You don't have to have a background check to buy alcohol or a car and that combination kills a lot more people every year.

2. High capacity magazines should not be banned.

I believe in standard capacity magazines.

3. All firearms should be registered.

What good would registering my firearms do? Would it stop me from committing a crime with them?

4. Sale of ammunition should not be restricted to purchases done in person.

See answer to "Please define gun control."

5. Any private entity should be allowed to ban firearms at their establishment.

Their business to ban, my business to take my business elsewhere. (One reason why I don't vacation in NYC.)

6. City governments should not be allowed to ban firearms within city limits.

If every little municipality in TN were permitted to allow or ban guns... could you imagine the confusion?

7. There should be a limit on the number of firearms a person can own at any moment.

Have you ever tried to shoot two guns at once? I have, it's not like you see in the movies at all, it's hard to hit anything. So, if I can only shoot one gun at a time accurately then it shouldn't matter how many I own. (That's why I don't believe in evolution, if I evolved I'd have four arms and a tail.)

8. Gun control restrictions need not be as stringent in rural areas.

Depends on you perspective. I bet these bystanders have an interesting perspective...
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1830007/

9. Automatic firearms should be banned.

See answer to "Please define gun control."
  • Like 2

Why would you go on a pro gun forum to gather this type of data. All you you have to do is read what people are posting to get a feel of their thinking, that's what I did to make my mind up about joining this or any group.

[quote name="Spiffy" post="1146020" timestamp="1399245133"]Having a degree in Behavioral Science...........I can tell you that your results will be biased if this is the only forum you use.[/quote] Having a degree in Behavioral Science... I can tell you won't be making much money when you graduate. So no need for you to worry about if you can afford more than one gun per month

Tell you what......you get Columbia to make public B.O.'s  student application, record and a list of organizations he belonged to while there and then we'll talk.

Edited by gun sane
[quote name="BrasilNuts" post="1146017" timestamp="1399244722"]So, if I can only shoot one gun at a time accurately then it shouldn't matter how many I own. (That's why I don't believe in evolution, if I evolved I'd have four arms and a tail.)[/quote] Quoted because I not only agree, but I tell people this same thing about evolution all the time. I should never have to make more than two trips when carrying groceries, I need four arms. I still haz just two though, so much for that

What sort of answers were you expecting from a hillbilly gun forum?

Sort of like going to a Weight Watcher's meeting and asking the women there if they think they're overweight.

Speak for ya self

I am a REDNECK

Do you own a firearm? Yes

Have you ever owned a firearm? Yes

Do you plan on owning a firearm? Yes

How much experience do you have with firearms? Moderate

Are you for gun rights or gun control? Gun rights

Q: Please define gun rights. 

A: The Second Amendment

Q: Please define gun control.

A: Anything that contradicts the Second Amendment

Background checks should be mandatory for anyone who owns or uses firearms. Strongly Disagree

High capacity magazines should not be banned. Strongly Agree

All firearms should be registered. Strongly Disagree

Sale of ammunition should not be restricted to purchases done in person. Strongly Agree

Any private entity should be allowed to ban firearms at their establishment. Strongly Agree

City governments should not be allowed to ban firearms within city limits. Strongly Agree

There should be a limit on the number of firearms a person can own at any moment. Strongly Disagree

Gun control restrictions need not be as stringent in rural areas. **Other - The Second Amendment doesn't favor one setting over another

Automatic firearms should be banned. Strongly Disagree

/////END OF SURVEY/////

You're Welcome!!!

No need for me to write all this out again, TDR got them all right the first time.  So score me "ditto" ... 

I would also suggest that you take a course or two in statistics, with special emphasis on surveys, the introduction of bias, random sampling, margin of error, etc. as this is a poorly contrived and executed survey.  In addition, it's shocking that you aren't employing better technology to survey your respondents, even an old fart like me realizes there are much more convenient ways to sample populations via the internet ...

Edited by No_0ne
  • Like 2
Guest sigequinox

There is no randomness associated to this survey. Well over 90 percent of the answers will be identical in this population.

Motives coming from a well known liberal institution are not trustworthy considering the source and location.

Questions are poorly designed as they clearly elicit conclusions at the beginning of the questionnaire.

As someone who has taken three semesters of statistics, may I ask you to obtain help from your faculty or TA as this attempt has the appearance of trolling and a rather poor example at that.

There is quite a bit more I want to write, however it really is not worth the effort or the time.

yup. Part of my degree is in applied mathematics. This survey is complete hog wash. I'm pretty sure he's a troll as the method of data collection (among other things) are the caliber of a poor performing high school student, not a top tier university student. I am very skeptical. If this is legit, I will make sure I don't ever waste 200k sending my kids to school at Columbia lol

No need for me to write all this out again, TDR got them all right the first time.  So score me "ditto" ... 

I would also suggest that you take a course or two in statistics, with special emphasis on surveys, the introduction of bias, random sampling, margin of error, etc. as this is a poorly contrived and executed survey.  In addition, it's shocking that you aren't employing better technology to survey your respondents, even an old fart like me realizes there are much more convenient ways to sample populations via the internet ...

I agree and would add  some quantitative methods and analysis courses so they can go one step further, and not only collect dependably stochastic data, but use goodness of fit testings, confidence intervals, and multiple trials to your advantage; essentially taking real data and making it say what you want....kinda like an FDA trial or something.

Edited by Ted S.

yup. Part of my degree is in applied mathematics. This survey is complete hog wash. I'm pretty sure he's a troll as the method of data collection (among other things) are the caliber of a poor performing high school student, not a top tier university student. I am very skeptical. If this is legit, I will make sure I don't ever waste 200k sending my kids to school at Columbia lol

They sure turn out some crappy presidents :)

Guest PapaB

I have to call bs on this survey, this reads like a MAIG troll at work. Anyone that wanted legitimate survey results would avoid forums about guns, defense, survival, politics, ecology, green living etc, etc. You go where a wide variety of opinions would be expected such as forums about cars, cooking, family life, hobbies and such.