Realistic ranges

So, using the full size beretta from the above post, what kind of drop did he get at 70 yards?

Depends on the ammo, and the exact velocity (which is also tied to barrel length).   Drop is just gravity vs velocity.  The faster it moves, the less time gravity has to apply its acceleration.  Basically you reverse compute how long it took to travel from muzzle to target, and then do free-fall physics on it to see how far it dropped in that time frame.   Its simple, but we can't give you the exacts without access to the missing numbers.

• Like 1
I can consistently ring a 200yd gong with the 1911, and I hold over roughly 2ft (the diameter of the gong), but it drops easily 6ft at 300yd when attempting that shot. 45 drops less than a foot at 100yd though, usually just have to aim at the top of the target. At 70yd a 9mm would likely drop less than 3-4in from point of aim, depending on the load.

I can consistently ring a 200yd gong with the 1911, and I hold over roughly 2ft (the diameter of the gong), but it drops easily 6ft at 300yd when attempting that shot. 45 drops less than a foot at 100yd though, usually just have to aim at the top of the target. At 70yd a 9mm would likely drop less than 3-4in from point of aim, depending on the load.

a 1500 fps 9mm takes .14 seconds to go 210 feet (70 yards).   In .14 seconds, ignoring externals, gravity drops an object ~ 3.75 inches.  Nice zenwork there. 

All you're getting from me is an opinion, as I am NOT a gunfighter. I would say to practice instinctive shooting (point shooting; not aiming) at 5 and 7 yards, and aiming and firing at 15 yards.....Furthermore, I believe that we'd all do well to practice daily being aware of our surroundings. Most people are not. This will keep one out of a lot of bad situations with no gun required.

I try to spend as much practice recognizing and avoiding hazards, as I spend practicing to survive them.
  • Like 2
I've hunted and killed deer out to 75 yards with my 10mm. If someone was engaged in a shooting spree, I would not be able to live with myself if I didn't shoot because it was 70 yards. The prosecutor would have a hard time putting me in jail for not running 60 yards before I shot.
Guest sigequinox

I generally practice defensive or run-and-gun type shooting, not target. My brother and I set up steel targets and engage at different distances. With my SW p99, I hit about 6-7/10 at 50 yards (10 inch round plate). With my sig p220 (45acp) about 3-4 at that same distance. With a Sig 938 about 2-3 at that distance. At 25 yards with my SW, I still only hit about 7-8/10, but my hits are much quicker with less time between shots. The same trend is true among the other guns as distance closes.

I don't know what my groups are, again, because I don't measure groups. I'm generally moving, taking cover etc and shooting at steel, so, "ding" means I hit and no ding means I didn't. 10 inch steel gong is a good center of mass simulator.

Edited by sigequinox

So what range would you think is the extreme practice range? I want to become proficient at the outside realistic ranges.

With the guns you listed put all your rounds in the 10 ring of a "NRA Official Pistol Target B-16 25 yard" target and you will be an extreme shooter.

Start at 7 yards and don't move to the next level until you perfect the one you are at.

With the guns you listed put all your rounds in the 10 ring of a "NRA Official Pistol Target B-16 25 yard" target and you will be an extreme shooter.

Start at 7 yards and don't move to the next level until you perfect the one you are at.

the NRA targets are funky; you have to be able to mentally find the center of a solid black circle to score well.   I can't do it, something in my mind/visual system does not click.  If I put an orange dot on the bullseye target, I can hit it all day long at slow-fire.  Without the marking the center, I am all over the thing.   I may be in the minority there but I can't use their targets at all.

well, there is no running for me. Legs won't allow it. It is either hit the ground and shoot of stand my ground and shoot but running is not an option. not proud of it but it's just fact.................. :ugh: :ugh:

I practice (a little, not much) shooting out to 25 yards or even further... not so much because I expect to have an engagement at that distance, but because it improves my shooting abilities at shorter distances.  Fundamentals of marksmanship are tested more at longer ranges, therefore training at said ranges is a great diagnostic and teaching aid.

If I can hit a torso at 25 yards, I can hit a head at 7, or an eye 3.  :2cents:

• Like 1

I know we talk about 25 yard groupings and we should be able to hit at that range but what is the realistic range and spread of these subcompact guns like the keltec and lc9, kahr pm9, etc....

If the blast off the cardboard target doesn't part your hair and you don't see gun powder residue on the paper, move forward and repeat. That's how I practice with my Ruger LCP .380

'ya all need to start shooting practical pistol. You will get to shoot at varying distances under varying conditions. The only way you're going to get better at shooting is to shoot. You are welcome to shoot with us on the 3ed Saturday of the month at ORSA in Oak Ridge, TN

• Like 1
That is exactly true... Nothing can replace trigger time with your blood pumping. Push yourself in practice and your reaction in dire circumstance will be more realistic. Anybody can perforate static paper when calm, regardless the range. Edited by molonlabetn

I'm worried about a distance of inches, or feet at most, when talking about conceal carry guns.

25 yard groups are for entertainment purposes only. I seriously doubt you'll even consider using sights were you to ever need your carry piece.

I'm not entertained by shotgun patterns out of a handguns so I don't shoot at 25 yards.

Realistic handgun range to me is the longest shot you'd have inside your home. My longest shot is 15 yards and that's in the basement so that's what I have my RMR set for.