Logophile thread. Word(s) of the day.

Anyone here like using complex or esoteric words every now and then? Daily? Back in the days I frequented a detailing forum or two, someone had started a "word of the day thread". I had a much better vocabulary then...but that was back in college (not really that long ago) when writing tons of nonsensical papers weekly was a normal thing.

Throw a couple good ones in every now an again.

butyraceous

Definition of BUTYRACEOUS

:  having the qualities of butter :  resembling butter; also :  yielding or containing a substance like butter

Margarine, no matter how butyraceous it may appear,  is a synthetic blasphemy and an abomination to all things good and green.

felicitate

Definition of FELICITATE obsolete
:  made happy

Building ARs felicitates the occasional OCD AR fan by giving him/her the ability to build a rifle to their specification.

Felicitate is a word I only come upon in reading some older literature and texts. I guess it makes sense that this site marks it as obsolete.

"Butyraceous." Merriam-Webster.com. Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 4 May 2014. <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/butyraceous>.
"Felicitate." Merriam-Webster.com. Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 4 May 2014. <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/felicitate>.
Edited by Ted S.
Futtock:
one of the curved timbers scarfed together to form the lower part of the compound rib of a ship

Diphthong
diph·thong noun \ˈdif-ˌthȯŋ, ˈdip-\
linguistics : two vowel sounds joined in one syllable to form one speech sound
: a gliding monosyllabic speech sound (as the vowel combination at the end of toy) that starts at or near the articulatory position for one vowel and moves to or toward the position of another Edited by Caster
  • Like 1

I use the occasional what Hemingway described as a "five dollar word", but it's just what comes up naturally in train of thought, can't override a fairly classical Engleesh education without consciously trying.

I'm more irritated with common words misused. The usual there/their/they're and it's/its and the like don't gall me much, but some others do for some reason, like:

"weary" when most of the time the person means "wary" or "leery"

"discrete" when it usually should be "discreet"

"marshal law"

others?

But for the "5 dollar word of the day" theme, I'll toss in:

ecdysiast : A performer who provides erotic entertainment by undressing to music

:)

- OS

• Like 1

Futtock:
one of the curved timbers scarfed together to form the lower part of the compound rib of a ship

Diphthong
diph·thong noun \ˈdif-ˌthȯŋ, ˈdip-\
linguistics : two vowel sounds joined in one syllable to form one speech sound
: a gliding monosyllabic speech sound (as the vowel combination at the end of toy) that starts at or near the articulatory position for one vowel and moves to or toward the position of another

The entire ship, with exception of the futtock was comprised of the dipthongal material "soy".

• Like 1
Guest PapaB

Anyone here like using complex or esoteric words every now and then?

To answer your question, - indubitably!

One of my favorite words to describe many politicians is "insensate" - without sense, understanding, or judgment;

I have found a long string of properly used descriptives can be twice as insulting as the good ole F YOU. Especially if the person doesn't know the words you're using. It makes them feel stupid.

I had a teacher that gave wrote offs like that. I can't remember exactly but his favorites always started out something like "It is with great misgivings that I now realize what shame my pseudo ape-like behavior has brought upon the collective of this educational facility......"
They usually ran a solid six or eight line paragraph. He was master of the run on sentence. Lol!!