My First Kydex Project

Been looking for a decent holster for my newly aquired G34 IDPA gun and not having much luck. Well I say that, every holster I strapped on felt like I had a shoe box stuck on my hip! So I ordered the stuff and this is what I have so far. Still need some cleanup and polishing the edges but I think I'm gonna like it. quqyruse.jpg9equ9a3a.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looking good. Good definition. What are you using as a heat source? I've been using a toaster oven but I'm having trouble getting it to not overheat the Kydex.

I'm using a yard sale toaster oven. It has a thermo on it so I set it at 300 for about 3 min, then bump it to 375 for 30 or so seconds and then toss it on the foam press.

Looks great!

I bought a $10-$15 heat gun from harbor freight to use on kydex - works great, and you can spot-heat areas that need a little fixing without messing up the rest of the holster.

Looking good. Good definition. What are you using as a heat source? I've been using a toaster oven but I'm having trouble getting it to not overheat the Kydex.

Try using your oven and start at 300 degrees. I just put it on a cookie sheet in the middle rack. I normally do 315 degrees but some ovens may vary. When it gets floppy it's ready to work. I've done many crossbreed style holsters and a couple raven concealment style and I only burned one piece of Kydex in the learning process. WARNING, you may never buy a holster again.

-southernasylum

• Like 2

Here is the initial mold for my XD9. I like a high ride so I am experimenting on how much material to leave at the bottom. I'll try to post some pictures of the process/steps if I think about it. If anyone has tips/comments is love to hear. Side note: When I saw the sublimated dye on this piece of kydex I had to order it. FDE with an OD green flag. A little nerve wracking during the molding process since it's thick, and the only one like it that I have. y4yte4yv.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
Guest sigequinox

You know your a gun nut when....your wife comes home and yells at you to "stop making gun holsters in my oven!" lol. Awesome. Good work. I look forward to the write up thread. THis is very interesting indeed.

So here are a few more pics of my second project. There is a photo above of the initial mold. My thrown together press hy8ajeqe.jpg Back mold 6ujydevu.jpg Both halves 5y2urame.jpg Assembled, riveted, but still need to put a slight bend so it contours the body e9y3e3ed.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
I have a question for those of you making kydex holsters, do you have any scraps for sale or free? I want to try and make a belt holder for 45-70 ammunition. Seems like it would hold the rounds securely but still allow for a easy reload.

I have a question for those of you making kydex holsters, do you have any scraps for sale or free? I want to try and make a belt holder for 45-70 ammunition. Seems like it would hold the rounds securely but still allow for a easy reload.

I am sure I have some scraps laying around...pm me and I'll send me your way

[quote name="Wiljo05" post="1146140" timestamp="1399294325"]Been looking for a decent holster for my newly aquired G34 IDPA gun and not having much luck. Well I say that, every holster I strapped on felt like I had a shoe box stuck on my hip! So I ordered the stuff and this is what I have so far. Still need some cleanup and polishing the edges but I think I'm gonna like it. quqyruse.jpg9equ9a3a.jpgSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote] I'd pay good money for that, and by that I mean it looks great. If you don't mind me asking, about how much do you have in it? Time excluded, of course. I've got one I really like for the range in coyote tan but considering what I paid for it I'd like to try and make a black one myself. ETA: picture of the coyote one I'd like to semi-replicate, only picture I have u8egajug.jpg

Edited by KKing
  • 2 weeks later...