What kind of snake is this?

This guy almost bit the dust under my mower the other day. I ended up letting him go a different part of the yard that i had already mowed, figuring he was harmless and would grow up to eat unwanted pests/rodents. Any ideas what kind it was?

esa9urug.jpg

u7usy2y4.jpg

Edited by reed1285

The kind that makes you hit trees at a dead run?

Are you saying that you just don't like snakes or have a lot of respect for them and they might make you hurt your self giving them room....................... :rofl: :rofl:

• Like 1
I'm pretty sure I'm right because I had one just like it last year. But my dad would say it's either a copperhead or a rattlesnake depending on if it had a rattle or not....:) Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee
  • Like 2

I'm pretty sure I'm right because I had one just like it last year. But my dad would say it's either a copperhead or a rattlesnake depending on if it had a rattle or not....:)Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

Your dad sounds like a smart man :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you saying that you just don't like snakes or have a lot of respect for them and they might make you hurt your self giving them room....................... :rofl: :rofl:

Yes!!! Edited by Randall53

It's not a copperhead.  Vipers have a triangular head.

And all four of the venomous snake species are pit vipers, meaning that they have pits located on the sides of their heads that allow them to sense heat from potential prey.

It's not a copperhead.  Vipers have a triangular head.

That is one thing I knew about it pretty quick. That it had a completely rounded head and was MOST LIKELY harmless. If I wouldve seen a triangular shape hinting at venom glands, he would have met the Troy Bilt.

Yes!!!

So I'm guess that yes is to all of the above huh?......Not going to pick or poke at you for this because i know many people that are scare to death of them and rightfully so. Even though very very few people get bit by venomous snakes and even fewer that do die I  think almost every one in the back of their minds remembers that it was a snake that made the land of Eden go bye bye by talking Eve into eating from the tree and the Eve convinced Adam and we all know the rest of the story. With that said I respect snakes that are venomous with a bullet of two and the non venomous ones I do cut some slack because for the most part to do things that help man such and kill Rodents and also keep us in our running mode if startled by one which keeps you in practice for the dangerous ones. I use to know a man that was so afraid of them that a friend of his is dead, killed by him over a joke of throwing a rubber snake in his lap and he shot him dead on the spot before he even took time to see it was a fake one. The Judge and Jury found him innocent of all charges because everyone knew about his fear of snakes. He never forgave himself for killing his friend and he passed away about 10 years later. So I know the fear folks can have about them.

Edited by bersaguy

Don't really matter , it's against the law to kill any snake in Tennessee. Right ?

http://www.ehow.com/info_8718418_laws-killing-snakes-tennessee.html

I am definitely not a lawyer but I think that site takes a pretty extreme view of what the law really says.  In my reading, I would say it is more like it is illegal to go hunting snakes to kill in Tennessee out in the wild.  I don't think that killing one in your yard is going to bring the herpetoswat team down on you.  I'd bet you could even get away with killing one in the woods on private property or maybe even killing an immediately threatening one on public land.  I don't have a 'terminate with extreme prejudice' view of snakes but also don't freak out when someone mentions killing them.  To me (from a 'moral' standpoint), killing a nuisance snake is no different than killing a nuisance possum, a nuisance raccoon or any, other varmint.  My belief is that isn't hunting.  It's pest control.

Edited by JAB

I am definitely not a lawyer but I think that site takes a pretty extreme view of what the law really says.  In my reading, I would say it is more like it is illegal to go hunting snakes to kill in Tennessee out in the wild.  I don't think that killing one in your yard is going to bring the herpetoswat team down on you.  I'd bet you could even get away with killing one in the woods on private property or maybe even killing an immediately threatening one on public land.  I don't have a 'terminate with extreme prejudice' view of snakes but also don't freak out when someone mentions killing them.  To me (from a 'moral' standpoint), killing a nuisance snake is no different than killing a nuisance possum, a nuisance raccoon or any, other varmint.  My belief is that isn't hunting.  It's pest control.

Trust me , I don't really care what you do with them. A lot of people are just surprised to learn that law.