I had back surgery yesterday

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

In the meantime, I'll be thinking about all of y'all at work while I'm chillin in the recliner :cool:

:D

When you start posting from a lawn chair with a margarita in your hand, I'm doing a drive-by. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well in case anyone cares, I'm doing very well. It has been three weeks since the surgery. No more pain in my leg, the incision is healing very well, and most of the risidual pain from surgery is gone. I am still very cautious though... I'll probably never lift anything with my back again and if something is super heavy, I just won't bother.

One thing I miss is riding four wheelers, but I hope in another year I'll be able to ride again. I almost bought one about a month before all this started, and I'm glad I didn't or else it would be sitting there almost brand new :stare:

I have been driving quite a bit and it gets easier every day. The parts that suck are turning my body to look around for lane changes etc, and getting in and out of the car.

Recovery has been slow, but I guess it's all relative since the biggest procedure I have ever had done before all this started was wisdom teeth removal :stare: If it keeps going this well I should be back 100% in about 2 months. I feel about 60% right now.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

Glad to hear things are going well.

I think if my back was fixed, I'd be careful about things that might mess it up again. Just friendly advice.

Some years ago I broke my neck in a couple of places in a truck wreck. Everything came out OK but I decided it was a good time to give up snow skiing. Let's just say that my level of expertise frequently found me doing head over heels flips down the mountainside.

How about a nice game of chess? (You won't understand this if you haven't seen WarGames from 1983.) :stare:

Guest Steelharp

Chris, this is the first time I've even seen this thread. Man, I had no idea. We would have talked about it, believe me. I am so glad to hear you're on the mend in such a good way. Take your time, follow directions, and you'll be back. It sounds like you had excellent care, and followup. Go get 'em!

BTW, your buddy did a fantastic job on my lawn. I think he was a bit overwhelmed when he first pulled in and saw it, but he did terrific.

• Administrator

Good to hear it's all going well, Chris. Now I'm sure you will have even more confidence when it comes time to go through that other operation you've been planning. I'm sure it has been hard being a woman stuck in a man's body all these years. :stare: :stare:

Seriously though... congrats on the swift recovery. You'll be out there riding 4-wheelers before you know it.

Well thanks to you guys once again.

Mike, he didn't even tell me he was going up there, haha. I'm glad you are happy with it.

Mars, yes, I am still be cautious. I'm slowly returning to normal activity, but I'm definitely going to take it easy for a good while. I think I will be up for some handgun shooting soon, but no rifles yet.

Guest Steelharp
Good to hear it's all going well, Chris. Now I'm sure you will have even more confidence when it comes time to go through that other operation you've been planning. I'm sure it has been hard being a woman stuck in a man's body all these years. :eek::stare:

That would be front surgery, wouldn't it? :stare:

One of these days I gotta tell y'all a story from my buddy Gary that works at the coroner's office...

Well as some of you knew, I had back surgery yesterday the 27th.

Basically, I had a huge herniated disc in my lower back that was pressing against my right sciatic nerve which runs from your spine down to your toes. It was causing moderate to severe pain all the way down the back of my leg, from the top of my butt to my toes. It had been going on since November.

After physical therapy and a series of epidural injections (which helped, but only for a short period of time), the pain returned and my doctor and I decided surgery was the best option. I was very confident in him, and that confidence was justified because I had surgery yesterday, and I have no leg pain at all now. The procedure was a microdiscectomy which trims off the protruding disc piece. The incision is only about 1" long. I felt very good about him from the first visit on..

My back hurts at the injection site which is to be expected, but I feel good enough to go to a cookout at my friend's house right down the road tonight. I can't drive of course since I can't twist my body, and the pain killers I am on prevent my from driving, too.

Anyways, I'm doing a ton better. Surgery is weird.. give you an injection, the next thing you know you are waking up in recovery. Everything went fine yesterday, and I am feeling good today.

Thanks for all the well wishes. I want to get back out to the range soon.

I had the disc between C6 and C7 in my neck removed March 12th and the vertabreas fused together, I know what you are going through friend. I think mine is working okay but I have a bad day every now and then but that's after I do some work I shouldn't be doing right now. Be careful about yard work etc. I should take my own advice.

What really sucked is before I got the herniated disc removed I went to the Cheatham range and shot my Moisen Nagant and had a sharp pain like a knife run through my neck and down my arm, bad enough to end my session. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to shoot any long gun with any recoil anymore. I haven't tried it out since then, I'm going to be very bummed if it still hurts. I already had to quit skydiving in the 90s because of my worn out back but it never hurt my lower back to shoot rifles and shotguns, only my upper back and neck.:)