You must be pulling out all the stops and buying every gadget that ACME sells in order to get that pesky bird. :) Seriously though, you might check with some of the larger long haul tractor trailer moving companies since some of them also have warehouse storage. Edited by Trekbike
  • Like 1

I'm having a 7-pallet shipment delivered from Maine to Tennessee via a common freight carrier (tractor trailer). Each pallet is 1400 lbs. and the freight service requires delivery to a commercial location with a loading dock.

That's a hell of a lot of .22LR-- where'd ya get it? Smuggled across the Canadian border? :hyper: :rofl:

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 2
Ask the ltl for lift gate service. Most offer it. Also I have picked up from Conway terminals as well. They usually have a fork truck to load you with. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
[quote name="Dane" post="1146981" timestamp="1399520559"]Ask the ltl for lift gate service. Most offer it. Also I have picked up from Conway terminals as well. They usually have a fork truck to load you with.[/quote] Thanks, but they charge a lot more freight for lift gate delivery without a loading dock, so we need to keep the costs down.
[quote name="wileecoyote" post="1146977" timestamp="1399518216"]I can't tell you TGO folks what it really is, or many of you would want in on the deal and it's already spoken for by about 40 people... Maybe I'll post the details next time we order it in bulk...[/quote] A barrel of whiskey will nearly fill a pallet. . .

Well it must be ammo then, b/c whisky and ammo are the only 2 consumables I think i would want enough at a time of to order a pallet.  :pleased:

If you will note , he didn't just order 1 pallet. He ordered 7 pallets at 1400 pound each. Has to be lead or lead mix like a babbit product for making Boolitts...........jmho

Maine is the #1 producer of wooden toothpicks in the US.

7 pallets of toothpicks is one heck of a "group buy"! :stunned:

Other than that, 7 pallets of live lobster would surely spoil in a warehouse.

Edited by tartanphantom

Call my uncle at Absolute Rush Delivery in Nashville, they might be able to help you on this

http://www.absoluterush.net/index.html

Great lead, thanks for this. Spoke with your uncle and he is able to handle the storage, although I am not sure this will work for the group due to the cost. I am going to check a few other options and maybe we can work it out.

Any other suggestions or leads are appreciated.
[quote name="wileecoyote" post="1146984" timestamp="1399520766"]Thanks, but they charge a lot more freight for lift gate delivery without a loading dock, so we need to keep the costs down.[/quote] If it is coming via ccx or similar ltl I have picked up from the terminal in the past. They have even forklifted into my trailer. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If it is coming via ccx or similar ltl I have picked up from the terminal in the past. They have even forklifted into my trailer. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yep, it is coming LTL via Estes Express. They will let me pick it up from their terminal, but that is not helping as we need a place to store 7 pallets for 2-3 weeks so that we can make multiple trips to carry away the contents until all 7 pallets are empty. Estes included delivery to any location we specify in the Nashville area, but they require the receiving location to have a loading dock or be able to move the pallets once they deliver them to the ground via a lift gate. I have found hundreds of storage units but none of them have a loading dock, none of them have driveway areas big enough to allow a tractor trailer to enter, and none of them have a pallet jack of forklift to carry the pallets from the road to my storage unit.

So we are still stuck trying to find a place that can accept delivery of 7 pallets and store them for 2-3 weeks max. They must either have a loading dock for a tractor trailer, or a parking area or roadway big enough to allow a tractor trailer to drop the pallets on the ground, and a pallet jack or forklift to move the pallets to the storage area. This is such a common thing I can't believe there aren't more options out there. I must be looking in the wrong place or searching with the wrong terms.
[quote name="TripleDigitRide" post="1149639" timestamp="1400323161"]Most large moving and storage companies offer such services. Check with United Van Lines, North American Van Lines, Mayflower, etc. I can't imagine why you're having such a difficult time, unless you aren't happy with the cost.[/quote] I agree there is something else at play here. Two minutes of googling and I found a storage place that looks like a big truck could back in with a lift gate: http://www.aaalebanon.com/index.html And a pallet jack: http://www.absoluterental.com/equipment.asp?action=category&category=61 For me this would be problem solved. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most large moving and storage companies offer such services. Check with United Van Lines, North American Van Lines, Mayflower, etc. I can't imagine why you're having such a difficult time, unless you aren't happy with the cost.

I have called quite a few similar places, however many of them DO NOT offer a receiving service to accept and store 7 pallets for only 2-3 weeks. They are looking to do the pack, move, and hauling parts of the job as well (for a lot more money of course). And many of the moving companies don't actually have warehouse storage for individual pallets, they only store full trailers which are dropped and parked until delivery time. The few such places that did have pallet receiving and storage capability were not setup to allow multiple individuals to come and pickup the pallet contents from the warehouse via multiple trips over several weeks, as their warehouses were not segmented or designed for self service access. I agree there must be dozens of warehouses which could easily handle this request, and should be willing to do so at a reasonable rate, but I have made a LOT of calls and not found any yet.

I agree there is something else at play here. Two minutes of googling and I found a storage place that looks like a big truck could back in with a lift gate: http://www.aaalebanon.com/index.html And a pallet jack: http://www.absoluterental.com/equipment.asp?action=category&category=61 For me this would be problem solved. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I too know how to use Google, and have beat it to death. I have probably called at least 50 places in the past week, and looked at hundreds of locations on Google. There is a lot more to it than just finding a storage place, of which there are thousands.

Most residential-type storage places DO NOT have enough room for a full size tractor trailer to pull in, back around, drop off, and pull out safely. Virtually all residential storage places DO NOT have a loading dock. Photos on the web can be deceiving, especially if you have never driven a tractor trailer. When you actually call these storage places many of the owners will tell you horror stories about how they have attempted tractor trailer deliveries in the past and failed miserably. And the shipper of these goods has handled thousands of tractor trailer deliveries via many LTL carriers for customers all over the US, and they report that in many cases the trucking company ends up charging extra fees for delivering at such places which presented hurdles or were more difficult or time consuming for a number of reasons, the most common of which is the absence of a commercial loading dock.

Once a storage place is found that might be able to handle a tractor trailer delivery, the next hurdle is typically availability. ALL of the very few storage places I found so far that could accommodate a tractor trailer delivery were completely SOLD OUT on storage units, or they only had small units with doors so narrow that you couldn't even fit a single pallet through the entrance.

Once a storage place is found that can take tractor trailer delivery and has an available unit to hold 7 pallets, the next problem is how to transport the pallets from the truck to the storage unit. In most cases the truck would have to drop the pallets quite a distance from the actual unit which is available to rent, so you need a forklift or pallet jack to move the pallets. The trouble with using a pallet jack is that most storage units are on raised cement slabs with a 3" lip at the entrance, so the pallet jack will not roll the pallets into the unit, and none of these storage units have pallet jacks or forklifts on site. Renting a pallet jack costs almost as much as buying one, which adds to the cost of the storage unit, and still wouldn't work at most storage places. The tractor trailer will have a pallet jack on it at delivery time, but the driver will not allow you to use it or take it out of the truck, and if they have to do so then they charge you quite a bit extra for their service.

When you actually talk to the owners of these storage places they will tell you that others have tried pallet deliveries and it usually is not feasible in their locations for a variety of the reasons noted above. And there are some oddball problems too, such as the place that did have a forklift but it was too big to fit through the entry doors and thus could not take any pallets inside to the storage unit locations. Or the place which had smaller than normal access doors which would not accommodate the height and width of the pallets.

The solution we need is someone which has a small or medium size warehouse with a loading dock that routinely handles tractor trailer drops, with enough space to receive and store 7 pallets, with their own pallet jack or forklift on site, and the willingness to do this for just 2-3 weeks while giving us access to pickup the contents over several visits. We are willing to pay for this service, and we did find one such place that was able and willing to do it, but they wanted to charge $525 for the 3-week period and this was just too much for our budget. We are only paying $757 to have the pallets trucked from Maine to Tennessee including pickup and delivery, so we didn't budget that much for storage. Most storage places rent a 10'x15' unit for $70-$140 per month, and we are willing to pay a little more for the receiving service, but we need to get this done for around $200 or less, and we just haven't found any solutions yet. Edited by wileecoyote