Lol, I already gave a lot of hints, and the import thing was a slip, so not playing 20 questions... :P

I thought "People come in from TN, KY, and AL for this. All but 1 are guys." and the bit that TGO members would want in was the big clues.

Sadly the weight and size doesn't help me a whole lot.

Also appears item is not perishable due to being able to be stored a few weeks.

Also appears it won't be Hazardous Materials.

O well, I guess I am just going to wait for those pictures.  There is a world of possibilities out there.

Edited by vontar

Well we suspected they were perishable/consumable, now we know they'll have to be used in 2-3 years. :P

We're getting closer to some answers here...

The only bad guess I have is fancy water. :drool:

Well crap, now we have a new problem...

I went to the storage facility last night just to inspect our empty unit and make sure it was ready for the delivery of our pallets next week. Well it turns out that only part of the storage facility has paved roads, and the unit they allocated for us is in the gravel road section. I had planned to rent a pallet jack to move the pallets from the drop point (paved parking lot) back to the unit but a standard pallet jack doesn't work on a gravel road and it is very expensive to rent a larger piece of equipment to do the job. Unfortunately this storage location doesn't have any other units open, and the freight has already been shipped so we only have a few days to sort this out.

I briefly thought about trying to use some sheets of plywood under the pallet jack, but we might have to cover up to 200 feet of gravel so this would be too cumbersome and time consuming, plus the concrete slab floor of the storage unit sits up about 5-6 inches above the gravel surface so a ramp would have to be built.

So it seems that we need to get something like a skid loader, all-terrain pallet jack, or tractor with forks to move these pallets from the parking lot into the storage unit. Should be an easy job and take less than an hour, but renting that kind of equipment is expensive. So now I am in search of someone local that already has this equipment and would be willing to do the job for fast cash. Unless any of you can come up with some other idea...

Edited by wileecoyote
[quote name="wileecoyote" post="1151811" timestamp="1400965603"]I have been laughing ever since last night. This is Murphy's Law, which is the story of my life, thus my forum name of "Wile E Coyote"... :-)[/quote] I wish I could help, but other than finding a business with a forklift very near the storage facility, I can't think of anything. Not anything cheap, anyway.

UM could be to large, but you can make them smaller,

Look over to the left

[URL=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/determination-wile-e-coyote-demotivational-poster-1275700370s_zps42edcdd0.jpg.html]determination-wile-e-coyote-demotivation[/URL]

Edited by RED333
  • Like 1
[quote name="RED333" post="1151822" timestamp="1400966752"]2 pieces of plywood is all ya need, gona take a bit of work, but you labor is free to you.[/quote] This! Two pieces of ply and you can go anywhere you want with it with a pallet jack. How close can you get the truck to your unit? As for the lip into the storage unit. A challenge but not impossible. Set the edge of the pallet up on it. Take the pallet jack inside and pull the pallet in until the wheels hit the lip. Depending on the pallet you may be able to release the pressure on the jack pull it back a couple of inches onto the slab and wheel on in. Otherwise you have to take the jack back outside push it in those 6" and the. Go back on the inside to finish bringing it in. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

UM could be to large, but you can make them smaller,
Look over to the left

Yep, I know the forum will downsize, and I have image editing software, but the captions are not fully readable in such a small image. Perhaps I will update my avatar with a pic of Wile E being squashed by an anvil, or maybe a pallet full of anvils in this case... :)

This! Two pieces of ply and you can go anywhere you want with it with a pallet jack. How close can you get the truck to your unit? As for the lip into the storage unit. A challenge but not impossible. Set the edge of the pallet up on it. Take the pallet jack inside and pull the pallet in until the wheels hit the lip. Depending on the pallet you may be able to release the pressure on the jack pull it back a couple of inches onto the slab and wheel on in. Otherwise you have to take the jack back outside push it in those 6" and the. Go back on the inside to finish bringing it in.

Hmm... plywood is certainly cheaper than paying for heavy equipment, maybe... But since the lip is nearly 6-7 inches high, when I set the edge of the pallet up on the lip, I may not be able to remove the jack without the outside majority of the pallet dropping so far down on an angle that it would probably put a ton of weight on the jack locking it in place, or maybe push the tip of the forks out through the bottom of the pallet. Similar problem even if I could get the jack loose and take it inside, as trying to pump it up from inside the unit would probably push the forks up into the bottom of the freight. These are 1400 lbs. each and I don't know how well the pallets will be built. Wish I had a pallet jack and plenty of time to experiment...

How high do pallet jacks elevate anyway? Edited by wileecoyote
Depending on the jack they can elevate 4-6" Your first post about this elevation was 5-6". Now it is 6-7". Maybe a visit with a tape measure might be in order. Post a pic of the area and we may have some better ideas. The other option would be to pull the pallet up to the unit and off load by hand. 3/4" ply will get you to the unit. However ramping up 7" might pose a different problem. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks Dane.

The lip height varies a little based on the gravel which is not evenly disbursed, and I was only guessing as I didn't have a tape with me. Here are a few pics but they are poor, it was dark and my cell cam is not so great.

Entrance from the paved parking lot is all the way at the end behind my truck, only the first 50-100 feet of this is paved:

entrance.jpg

The bend into my storage aisle is pretty wide, and my unit is on the very end right by the yellow pole:

turn.jpg

The lip into the unit is uneven, perhaps ranging from 5-7" but not sure:

lip.jpg

That's not bad. Looks to be maybe 4-5" Looks like you could cut a few strips of ply to create steps to support a ply ramp up into the unit. If my math is correct you need to be able to support 140lbs per square inch or so. Shouldn't be that hard to support that. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yep, I know the forum will downsize, and I have image editing software, but the captions are not fully readable in such a small image. Perhaps I will update my avatar with a pic of Wile E being squashed by an anvil, or maybe a pallet full of anvils in this case... :)

I KNOW WHAT WAS ORDERED!!!

• Like 1
So that storage unit isn't too far from me...I have an atv with a plow that could be used to push the skid while it's on a pallet jack...obviously you'd want a piece of plywood or something between the plow and the material on the skid. Like some others have said, 2 or 3 sheets of plywood cut to strips for runners is the ticket. Pm me if you want to discuss more. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

So that storage unit isn't too far from me...I have an atv with a plow that could be used to push the skid while it's on a pallet jack...obviously you'd want a piece of plywood or something between the plow and the material on the skid. Like some others have said, 2 or 3 sheets of plywood cut to strips for runners is the ticket. Pm me if you want to discuss more. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is EXTREMELY KIND of you to offer to help. Thanks for that!

These particular pallets have somewhat fragile cargo such that pushing on them from the side via a plow or other machine might damage the contents, so I would be reluctant to try that. Also, I think the real challenge is going to be getting a solution to roll the pallets on a pallet jack at all, due to the gravel and uncertain nature of how the plywood will behave.

Right now I am leaning towards taking a few sheets of plywood and renting a pallet jack, and if that works then it should actually be pretty easy to pull the pallets along since the ground is level, and I might be able to have the truck drop them within 30 feet of the unit if I am lucky. If this plan falls apart for any reason, either because the truck won't drop them close enough to the unit or because I have trouble rolling them across the plywood, then my only backup plan would be to have them dropped in the parking lot and simply use manual labor to unload the contents and make many trips back and forth in my truck. Or I might be able to call a local commercial place to come move the pallets with their skid loader, although this would be costly so am trying to avoid that.