Not cigars, and it's not exclusively for men, it's just something more often used by men, especially in the warmer months.

That makes it easy... with everything else having guessed and missed, my money is on these... now I know why you've waited so long to tell us...

depends5_answer_3_xlarge1.jpg

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 1
[quote name="TripleDigitRide" post="1153368" timestamp="1401415158"]I think I have some Royal Oak lump charcoal that's made in Brazil.[/quote]exactly. Charcoal is one of Brazil's top exports. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee
[quote name="UncleJak" post="1153363" timestamp="1401414622"]Ive been watching this wondering what it could be. I finally have a guess: charcoal.Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee[/quote]Winner! 420 bags (22 lbs. each) of "Wicked Good Charcoal", 100% all natural hardwood lump. Currently holds 2 of the top 5 spots in the world as voted by thousands of cooks, beating out more than 95 competing products. Used by 5-star restaurants and famous chefs, and by many overweight middle-aged men who love to grill, smoke, and devour great food. Most in our group use Big Green Eggs, but some use traditional grills or smokers. This stuff is normally quite expensive, and not too many dealers sell it due to cost, but we get it near half price by ordering wholesale in bulk. Congrats Uncle Jack, you win a free bag if you care to pick it up in Lebanon area. PM me any time to meet up. :)
  • Like 1
[quote name="TripleDigitRide" post="1153368" timestamp="1401415158"]I think I have some Royal Oak lump charcoal that's made in Brazil.[/quote]For those that have used Royal Oak, it's generally one of the better brands commonly available fairly cheap at local big box stores like Walmart and Lowes, but it and similar brands tend to be rated in the middle to bottom third of all hardwood lump charcoal. I used to cook with it too, until I tried a bag of Wicked Good Charcoal and it was amazing, night and day difference, now I'll never cook with anything else. There's a good reason why our group purchases so much, and we have more than 40 guys (plus a few gals) that drive in from all over TN, AL, and KY to get it. Edited by wileecoyote

For those that have used Royal Oak, it's generally one of the better brands commonly available fairly cheap at local big box stores like Walmart and Lowes, but it and similar brands tend to be rated in the middle to bottom third of all hardwood lump charcoal. I used to cook with it too, until I tried a bag of Wicked Good Charcoal and it was amazing, night and day difference, now I'll never cook with anything else.

Looks like it may be available at a few locations around the Nashville/Franklin/Murfreesboro areas. I'll try to pick up a bag or two.

I see they offer the option to buy by the pallet on their website. I'll keep that in mind.
[quote name="TripleDigitRide" post="1153387" timestamp="1401416563"]Looks like it may be available at a few locations around the Nashville/Franklin/Murfreesboro areas. I'll try to pick up a bag or two. I see they offer the option to buy by the pallet on their website. I'll keep that in mind.[/quote] Yes, a few dealers in TN sell it now, but for about $30-$35 per bag after tax. I promised the WGC owners not to divulge our discount pricing online, but I can tell you it's an awesome discount. It gets cheaper by volume of course, but as you see, large pallet shipments are a lot of work unless you own or have cheap access to a warehouse. Edited by wileecoyote
[quote name="Clod Stomper" post="1153407" timestamp="1401420526"]Probably would have been easier to rent or borrow a pallet jack an buy a few 5x7 tarps and had them delivered to your driveway.[/quote] Maybe easier, but much more expensive to get pallets delivered to residential address, and this stuff can't sit out in the elements, even with tarps.

Maybe easier, but much more expensive to get pallets delivered to residential address, and this stuff can't sit out in the elements, even with tarps.

Would it have been easier / cheaper to rent a 28ft trailer for a few days/weeks? The delivering driver could have just back up to it. He could use his pallet jack to put it on the rented trailer! 

WLR

Delivery has been completed successfully, at last!

Got up early this morning, called the dispatch, confirmed they sent it out on a 28' lift gate truck. Met the truck driver on time, only to see that it was actually a tractor trailer rig towing a 28' lift gate back end, so it was a lot longer and wider than we had planned, yet this allowed the driver to back it in at more of an angle so we were still able to get the lift gate right into the entrance of the unit, thus avoiding the gravel issue. We did have to use one of the OSB sheets to fill in a gap between the lift ramp and concrete slab but the OSB did the job perfectly.

The storage door height turned out to be an issue for a few pallets but most of them fit right in with only an inch to spare, and we simply removed the top layer from the tall pallets to make them fit. The last pallet would not fit inside the unit but we unloaded about half of that into my truck and stacked the rest of the bags loosely against the other pallets so it all worked out ok.

Tipped the driver a little cash and one of my bags of charcoal for helping us unload, which was tricky and took some heaving. Tipped my friend for helping me unload as well. So in the end we still got it delivered and kept the extra costs around $150, which I don't mind spending to help out so many friends that will benefit from this order.

I am just glad I got enough to last for 2 years, as I don't want to go through this hassle again anytime soon. Thanks to all of you for your tips and suggestions. :)
  • Like 1

Would it have been easier / cheaper to rent a 28ft trailer for a few days/weeks? The delivering driver could have just back up to it. He could use his pallet jack to put it on the rented trailer! 

WLR

Don't know, I never looked into the cost of renting a trailer, although I did briefly consider this. Decided not to do it since I didn't really have a good spot to park the trailer for a few weeks, and it would have made it more difficult for folks to load their bags when picking up, and I doubt it could have been rented including drop off and pick up for less than $150, but who knows. Thankfully a non-issue now, and hopefully we will have free or cheap warehouse space for our next huge order in 2 years.